Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
True.. but I a sure the Sumter reps in the General Assembly would have their phones ringing off the hook from the property owner and other business owners who will likely subscribe to the believe that if it can happen to "them" it could happen to "me" so lets stick together. I wonder what would cause them to back out? cant imagine that the North Main location is better than out west....
All sorts of stories out there to why they are not moving, too many to talk about here and you don't what is the truth and what is not. But in no way shape or form, that North Main is a better location than out on Broad Street, no way. That is not a very attractive area of town commercial wise. Nobody wants to talk about it and let the public know what's going on. The city, the dealership, The item, they are all good chamber members, so lets not upset anyone. It's like it's nothing to discuss, they have the right to change their minds and that's all you need to know, end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:40 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
All sorts of stories out there to why they are not moving, too many to talk about here and you don't what is the truth and what is not. But in no way shape or form, that North Main is a better location than out on Broad Street, no way. That is not a very attractive area of town commercial wise. Nobody wants to talk about it and let the public know what's going on. The city, the dealership, The item, they are all good chamber members, so lets not upset anyone. It's like it's nothing to discuss, they have the right to change their minds and that's all you need to know, end of story.

Very true.. if push comes to shove.. they may just take out the Gas Station and the Family Dollar.. Likely out of state owners own the land so they are not active members of your local Chamber, Rotary Club, Optimist Club or Country Club crowd.... and Family Dollar can just about go anywhere and do well. Shift the project over on to those parcels.. I haven't seen the design and now cant find any trace of it.. likely hidden and shelved because of the quiet controversy SMH...oh well.. .maybe 5 or 10 miles of dirt roads in the dog leg in east Sumter County will get paved when the money is reallocated and it is officially cancelled.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...!4d-80.3414693

On a related note... what ever happened to the new mixed use development that was proposed across from Morris College on North Main? It was going to have apartments over retail space...has it broken ground?

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-25-2019 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Very true.. if push comes to shove.. they may just take out the Gas Station and the Family Dollar.. Likely out of state owners own the land so they are not active members of your local Chamber, Rotary Club, Optimist Club or Country Club crowd.... and Family Dollar can just about go anywhere and do well. Shift the project over on to those parcels.. I haven't seen the design and now cant find any trace of it.. likely hidden and shelved because of the quiet controversy SMH...oh well.. .maybe 5 or 10 miles of dirt roads in the dog leg in east Sumter County will get paved when the money is reallocated and it is officially cancelled.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...!4d-80.3414693

On a related note... what ever happened to the new mixed use development that was proposed across from Morris College on North Main? It was going to have apartments over retail space...has it broken ground?
Absolutely nothing is going on over there, it was just proposed and that's where it was left. That was pretty much dead on arrival.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:18 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Absolutely nothing is going on over there, it was just proposed and that's where it was left. That was pretty much dead on arrival.

You wonder why a developer would spend money going in front of the Planning Commission and City Council to get something like that approved only to shelve it or maybe the financing fell through.. I always thought it was a long shot.. I would have partnered with the College and gain some commitment to get student living in there. That would have guaranteed the occupancy and likely made it more attractive for a retail component.. Its too bad though.. that would have been a nice gateway in to the City and into Morris College

Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You wonder why a developer would spend money going in front of the Planning Commission and City Council to get something like that approved only to shelve it or maybe the financing fell through.. I always thought it was a long shot.. I would have partnered with the College and gain some commitment to get student living in there. That would have guaranteed the occupancy and likely made it more attractive for a retail component.. Its too bad though.. that would have been a nice gateway in to the City and into Morris College

Many good thing were proposed for Sumter, prior to the economy tanking back in 2008. There were signs up all over the place showing future home of this or that. The majority of those projects just never materialized after that, and signs were taken down. They were put on hold indefinitely, I guess we should be used to signs being put up and taken down around here. Things looked like they were really ready to take off for this town, then of course the economy crashed, just our luck. I imagine some parts of town would look drastically different today, had that not happen.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 PM

217 posts, read 240,397 times
Quote:
Many good thing were proposed for Sumter, prior to the economy tanking back in 2008. There were signs up all over the place showing future home of this or that. The majority of those projects just never materialized after that, and signs were taken down. They were put on hold indefinitely, I guess we should be used to signs being put up and taken down around here. Things looked like they were really ready to take off for this town, then of course the economy crashed, just our luck. I imagine some parts of town would look drastically different today, had that not happen.
2nd Walmart Supercenter on 15south
Home Depot on Broad
Patriot Centre on Loring Mill
Town Center on 521 @ Alice Drive

Were just a couple i was ready for.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:20 PM

217 posts, read 240,397 times
The old car dealership next to Sumter C.J.D.R is finally being demolished. Nissan of Sumter may get their new dealership up before McLaughlin Ford even decides to move or not.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:20 PM

93 posts, read 90,054 times
Does anyone know why Mazda moved out of Scott Will?

Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM

93 posts, read 90,054 times
Also, I wish they would tear down that KayDeAies place attached to Quality Inn across from Walmart! They could build another hotel there. Lol

Old 07-06-2019, 12:49 PM

143 posts, read 179,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
2nd Walmart Supercenter on 15south
Home Depot on Broad
Patriot Centre on Loring Mill
Town Center on 521 @ Alice Drive

Were just a couple i was ready for.

I think having 2 Wal-Mart Neighborhood markets as opposed to a 2nd Supercenter was the wiser choice IMO.

Patriot Centre...was that the "Upscale Piggly Wiggly"? If I understand the situation correctly with that is the local family that owns the remaining Piggly Wiggly stores as well as Willy-Sues owns that land and will not sell it due to in-family fighting and feuds. Thus you have family ownership conflict preventing other developers from purchasing the land while not being able to develop it themselves because the Piggly Wiggly brand is not viable as they closed one store recently. Is that pretty accurate?

Tell me about the Town Center on 521 @ Alice Drive. I never knew that had plans to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina