Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2024, 08:14 PM

634 posts, read 327,350 times

Advertisements

I saw two carpet vans at one of the middle storefronts at the stripmall in front of The Retreat apartments, so maybe something is going in one of the empty spaces soon. It being carpeted doesn't bode well for those of us wanting somewhere that serves food opening there though. I imagine that whole strip will wind up being medical-related businesses by the time it's filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 01:40 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I saw two carpet vans at one of the middle storefronts at the stripmall in front of The Retreat apartments, so maybe something is going in one of the empty spaces soon. It being carpeted doesn't bode well for those of us wanting somewhere that serves food opening there though. I imagine that whole strip will wind up being medical-related businesses by the time it's filled.
Lol, no not at all, I'll be surprised if it is.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:58 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Happy New Year and WTF......

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...5eb4af535.html

I can see this town being dissolved back into Sumter County in 3....2....1...

I wish this town was right next to the City of Sumter or as close as Dazell.. The City could take it over and take advantage of the town's rich history and cultural significance and turn it into a tourist attraction of sorts...SMH. Even if a businesses or industries were remotely interested in locating here.. Drama at the town leadership/governance level would discourage it. I remember when they pulled up the RR track.. I was told that that was the nail in the coffin.. and apparently is true. I know the state of SC saved some RR lines in various places like Darlington and Bishopville which has allowed some small industries to continue to operate in some remote areas using the RR. Maybe if the line had been saved from Sumter to Mayesville it could have had a similiar impact? But I doubt it....

Old 01-28-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Happy New Year and WTF......

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...5eb4af535.html

I can see this town being dissolved back into Sumter County in 3....2....1...

I wish this town was right next to the City of Sumter or as close as Dazell.. The City could take it over and take advantage of the town's rich history and cultural significance and turn it into a tourist attraction of sorts...SMH. Even if a businesses or industries were remotely interested in locating here.. Drama at the town leadership/governance level would discourage it. I remember when they pulled up the RR track.. I was told that that was the nail in the coffin.. and apparently is true. I know the state of SC saved some RR lines in various places like Darlington and Bishopville which has allowed some small industries to continue to operate in some remote areas using the RR. Maybe if the line had been saved from Sumter to Mayesville it could have had a similiar impact? But I doubt it....
Lol, I have to disagree with you on that my friend. With all that drama, I wished it was even farther away from Sumter than it is now. That's a real mess over there, we don't need that headache, and that would be a real drag on the city, we have enough going on already.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:52 AM

35 posts, read 27,563 times
South Main is definitely lacking the kind of revival Main St is seeing with the hotel, Brewery and other places. I think the old power plant beside the Manning Ave bridge has potential, and keeping just the original building intact, it can be turned into something that could benefits the city as a whole, similar to how Greenville transformed this old mill in Falls Park to a Pavilion.

Currently at 303 S. Main St.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE

Greenville's Wyche Pavilion (formerly the old mill)
https://pixels.com/featured/greenvil...-callaway.html
https://pixels.com/featured/the-old-...-callaway.html

It's unfortunately that the city continues to let such a historic building go to waste.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9150 View Post
South Main is definitely lacking the kind of revival Main St is seeing with the hotel, Brewery and other places. I think the old power plant beside the Manning Ave bridge has potential, and keeping just the original building intact, it can be turned into something that could benefits the city as a whole, similar to how Greenville transformed this old mill in Falls Park to a Pavilion.

Currently at 303 S. Main St.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE

Greenville's Wyche Pavilion (formerly the old mill)
https://pixels.com/featured/greenvil...-callaway.html
https://pixels.com/featured/the-old-...-callaway.html

It's unfortunately that the city continues to let such a historic building go to waste.
I believe that building and other nearby buildings are privately owned. There was something mentioned in the Item not too long ago about that area. Like the owners were trying to prep the property for sale or something. I love historical building also and the city should purchase it and restore it for purpose.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I believe that building and other nearby buildings are privately owned. There was something mentioned in the Item not too long ago about that area. Like the owners were trying to prep the property for sale or something. I love historical building also and the city should purchase it and restore it for purpose.
Yeah>. I read the same thing.. that it was going to be offered for sale. I believe the City of Sumter should buy it. The City purchased the old Maxway to make way for the Hyatt, the old Western Auto to make way for the CCTC facility and the old Moise mini warehouse to make way for the Jim Clyburn Center. All of these projects have transformed downtown and I believe this property could fall into the same category. I believe it is in the City's downtown master plan for townhomes or something to that effect. Though that may not be in the cards at the moment saving the building and land banking the rest of the property as an anchor site would be ideal. Not many sites like this left downtown.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah>. I read the same thing.. that it was going to be offered for sale. I believe the City of Sumter should buy it. The City purchased the old Maxway to make way for the Hyatt, the old Western Auto to make way for the CCTC facility and the old Moise mini warehouse to make way for the Jim Clyburn Center. All of these projects have transformed downtown and I believe this property could fall into the same category. I believe it is in the City's downtown master plan for townhomes or something to that effect. Though that may not be in the cards at the moment saving the building and land banking the rest of the property as an anchor site would be ideal. Not many sites like this left downtown.
Or CCTC could purchase them and expand their downtown campus. The school is still growing, and I just recently found out that they own that entire property where the old Applebee's stands and everything else on that corner.

Looking at old pictures of the downtown area, you will see that we had some beautiful old buildings that no longer exist. Preservation was not such a big thing at some point in our history, and I do hope they try hard to preserve whatever little we have left. Perhaps also putting some historical markers where historical buildings once stood.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:42 AM

634 posts, read 327,350 times
Quote:
So the place I was talking about in the quoted post above has a sign up above the storefront now. It’s a nail salon. LA Nails or something.
*sad trombone noises*

Old 02-04-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
So the place I was talking about in the quoted post above has a sign up above the storefront now. It’s a nail salon. LA Nails or something.
*sad trombone noises*
LOL wow..

Its interesting how some SC cities/towns have an affinity for certain big cities. I cant count the number of 'NY Fashion' or "LA Style' establishments that reference these two cities in their names in different city and towns in SC. Not as prominent now but in the 90s they were all over the place. I guess if you want to dress like people from there or the SC version of how one thinks one would dress from these cities... you can shop or get your nails and hair done at a place that references them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina