Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 08:17 PM

217 posts, read 239,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
LOL wow..

Its interesting how some SC cities/towns have an affinity for certain big cities. I cant count the number of 'NY Fashion' or "LA Style' establishments that reference these two cities in their names in different city and towns in SC. Not as prominent now but in the 90s they were all over the place. I guess if you want to dress like people from there or the SC version of how one thinks one would dress from these cities... you can shop or get your nails and hair done at a place that references them
There used to be a men's clothing store on Main Street called New York Hi Style. It was located nextdoor to the opera house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 12:28 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
I noticed a sign on Broad Street today, with a rendering of a red brick structure and 10,000 sq ft on the sign. I was driving so I couldn't read anything in detail. It's on the same side as that new REMAX building coming into town. At a glance, it sort of reminds me of the Simpson Hardware on Wesmark Blvd. Just checking to see if anyone else seen this sign and know what it is.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:09 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
There used to be a men's clothing store on Main Street called New York Hi Style. It was located nextdoor to the opera house
Yeah.. the internet likely killed these types of businesses. 1) people could go online and buy stuff and have it shipped to their homes 2) They researched the type of clothing people were wearing in NYC and found out the type of clothing these businesses were selling aint it...

Maybe we will see a rise in places like Raleigh Hi Fashion... It used to crack me up on the Andy Griffith Show how they put so much stock in Raleigh... Goober would always cite NYC, London, Paris and Raleigh all together in his musings about the world....

Old 02-23-2024, 06:21 AM

There is a construction dumpster and workers at the old Hibachi grill/Ryan's building

Old 02-23-2024, 01:13 PM

634 posts, read 326,832 times
Quote:
There is a construction dumpster and workers at the old Hibachi grill/Ryan's building
Hibachi across from Walmart (I arrived in town after any Ryan's locations here would have closed so I'm not familiar with that being a Ryan's building)? Hopefully something is moving in there soon. Another large Chinese buffet would be awesome (so long as they can keep things clean and keep the health dept off of their backs).

Old 02-23-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Hibachi across from Walmart (I arrived in town after any Ryan's locations here would have closed so I'm not familiar with that being a Ryan's building)? Hopefully something is moving in there soon. Another large Chinese buffet would be awesome (so long as they can keep things clean and keep the health dept off of their backs).
It was a Ryan's in the 90s then Fire mountain which was still owned by same Corp as Ryan's and finally Hibachi grill

Old 02-23-2024, 03:16 PM

Also noticed that the unused section next to Burlington also has activity going on with the door open and a contractor's trailer parked out front

Old 02-23-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Hopefully something will happen with the golden corral in the near future, they are both in prime locations.

Side note: I saw a Bald eagle in Sumter over Second Millpond the other day, that was definitely something new to me here in town. I've seen them in other places but the first seeing one actually in town.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:38 AM

More than 260 single family homes coming to Sumter on Beckwood road according to the Item. The development was unanimously approved by the City-County planning commission and will be called Beckwood Estates. This development will be in the city limits and pretty much across the street from the other new development site at Alice Drive and 521.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:26 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
More than 260 single family homes coming to Sumter on Beckwood road according to the Item. The development was unanimously approved by the City-County planning commission and will be called Beckwood Estates. This development will be in the city limits and pretty much across the street from the other new development site at Alice Drive and 521.
Where do you think the people are coming from that would buy into this development? Historically, I have heard that Sumter's sluggish population growth is a result of a few retirees moving in....Thus most of these developments are mostly from people "moving up" as opposed to "moving in" to Sumter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina