Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2022, 08:09 AM

35 posts, read 27,515 times

Advertisements

The least DG could do is change it up, and build one of their stores that have a produce section, I believe those are called DG Markets. Such a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 10:25 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9150 View Post
The least DG could do is change it up, and build one of their stores that have a produce section, I believe those are called DG Markets. Such a shame.
They do have one like that now, and it's on Patriot Parkway. It's different on the outside and have the produce section, it just recently open.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:36 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
This could be an interesting development. I dont have access to The Item but from the first few lines.. residents opposed having the addition to their development. Some of you may have more info or insight

https://www.theitem.com/stories/sumt...opments,377131

Old 01-21-2022, 04:25 PM

217 posts, read 239,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycub912 View Post
Dollar general stamey/broad
Well the next ones in each direction are Dalzell north, 441 west and Sumter mall east, patriot parkway south. They gonna fill those gaps

Old 01-21-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Well the next ones in each direction are Dalzell north, 441 west and Sumter mall east, patriot parkway south. They gonna fill those gaps
I counted 19 across Sumter County from the Google map, not sure how updated that map is.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This could be an interesting development. I dont have access to The Item but from the first few lines.. residents opposed having the addition to their development. Some of you may have more info or insight

https://www.theitem.com/stories/sumt...opments,377131
Looks like the residents just want to keep that neighborhood all residential, instead of mixing it with commercial property. I can understand how they feel about that, mixing in commercial will bring in outside traffic along a pretty busy highway.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Looks like the residents just want to keep that neighborhood all residential, instead of mixing it with commercial property. I can understand how they feel about that, mixing in commercial will bring in outside traffic along a pretty busy highway.
Yeah.. it seems somewhat inevitable in that stretch no? Its a major four lane highway with residential development occurring all around. If I were a business I would certainly want to be in front of Beach Forest. I am not saying its ideal, but I can see why there is interest. I wonder if it is more of an issue of scale as opposed to no retail? I could see something tastefully done there where residents may want to walk over there for a cup of coffee or other neighborhood scale amenities as opposed to a grocery store or some other big box anchor that generates a great deal of outside traffic. I guess we will see.. I am sure the City is going to want the tax dollars from any commercial development and most people may not want to live in that section that backs up to 521 without a significant buffer and maybe a wall.

It would be interesting to go back and see what was proposed for this area when the development was first approved. If it was vague and left TBD then buyer beware.. But, if they said it was to be homes and now they want to change it.. it is certainly within their right to do so.. but I can see where the existing residents would be irritated as it may not have been the concept they bought into and thus are within their rights to oppose it as part of public hearing to rezone.

I remember when I purchased my first home, the realtor went on and on about how the acres and acres of woods behind the home would never be developed and how we could go hiking and camping in there when we had kids...I took what he said with a grain of salt. I didn t buy the home but for other reasons.. drove back a year or two later and all the woods were cut down and another developer was putting in homes with no privacy fences etc to separate the two developments. I often wonder how many people were sold the "never be developed" line only to be surprised.

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-24-2022 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-24-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah.. it seems somewhat inevitable in that stretch no? Its a major four lane highway with residential development occurring all around. If I were a business I would certainly want to be in front of Beach Forest. I am not saying its ideal, but I can see why there is interest. I wonder if it is more of an issue of scale as opposed to no retail? I could see something tastefully done there where residents may want to walk over there for a cup of coffee or other neighborhood scale amenities as opposed to a grocery store or some other big box anchor that generates a great deal of outside traffic. I guess we will see.. I am sure the City is going to want the tax dollars from any commercial development and most people may not want to live in that section that backs up to 521 without a significant buffer and maybe a wall.

It would be interesting to go back and see what was proposed for this area when the development was first approved. If it was vague and left TBD then buyer beware.. But, if they said it was to be homes and now they want to change it.. it is certainly within their right to do so.. but I can see where the existing residents would be irritated as it may not have been the concept they bought into and thus are within their rights to oppose it as part of public hearing to rezone.

I remember when I purchased my first home, the realtor went on and on about how the acres and acres of woods behind the home would never be developed and how we could go hiking and camping in there when we had kids...I took what he said with a grain of salt. I didn t buy the home but for other reasons.. drove back a year or two later and all the woods were cut down and another developer was putting in homes with no privacy fences etc to separate the two developments. I often wonder how many people were sold the "never be developed" line only to be surprised.

I'm not sure if the proposed mixed-use commercial development is across the street, that's a pretty wide road and I don't know how much they control what goes on over on the other side of 521. Some parts of Beach Forest is still under development, and I'm thinking developers want to add commercial amenities to adjacent sides of it.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I'm not sure if the proposed mixed-use commercial development is across the street, that's a pretty wide road and I don't know how much they control what goes on over on the other side of 521. Some parts of Beach Forest is still under development, and I'm thinking developers want to add commercial amenities to adjacent sides of it.

Yeah.. I cant tell if it is part of the development or across the street... the headline seemed to imply that it was part of the Beach Forest Development. The other unknown (at least by me) is the planning term "mixed use" which could mean retail(commercial) and office or retail(commercial) and residential (multi family). If it is the later.. then that would imply an apartment building likely above the retail or somewhere on the grounds. That could also be an issue as some people dont want to live next to multi family if they are homeowners in single family neighborhoods... especially if the complex comes after they moved in and was not anticipated.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah.. I cant tell if it is part of the development or across the street... the headline seemed to imply that it was part of the Beach Forest Development. The other unknown (at least by me) is the planning term "mixed use" which could mean retail(commercial) and office or retail(commercial) and residential (multi family). If it is the later.. then that would imply an apartment building likely above the retail or somewhere on the grounds. That could also be an issue as some people dont want to live next to multi family if they are homeowners in single family neighborhoods... especially if the complex comes after they moved in and was not anticipated.
I guess the mixed use would be similar to that of, The Retreat luxury Apartments at Broad and Carter roads. They added a small section for retail shops and a eatery, but look like that section is still unoccupied. The South end of Beach Forest looked like something was still going on there, the last time I was out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina