Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 07:32 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Hardee construction has their sign up at the corner of Patriot Parkway and Dechamps Rd.
Cinderblocks are stacked in the corner and the lot is being prepped
It's been a minute since I last was went beyond Willie Sue's so, I'm not familiar with that location. Maybe another subdivision in that area is on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 12:38 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
I was looking at property records in downtown Sumter to see who owns most property downtown. The top three are Thompson-or some affiliate of Thompson (no surprise), PRISMA, and the City of Sumter. When I looked at the most underutilized sites.. the City is at the top of the list.. Parking lots, vacant lot at Washington and Liberty and the majority of the block surrounding the Utility Finance Dept on S. Main. They dont own the old Warehouse at the foot of Main Street next to the RR tracks.

I can only hope that the City is holding these property for future redevelopment based on the Downtown Master Plan. I know the City has done creative property transfers in the past that resulted in the development of the Hyatt Hotel, CCTC-old post office and the Tech Center, Brick Street development, the new Hampton's restaurant and several of the Senior Housing Developments.

The City also has its own owned developments like the Liberty Center, City Centre, ETV, Utility Finance Dept. to name a few. I hope they can obtain the entire block on S. Main and use it to facilitate new development especially with the property on Washington and Liberty.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:19 PM

217 posts, read 240,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
It's been a minute since I last was went beyond Willie Sue's so, I'm not familiar with that location. Maybe another subdivision in that area is on the way.
It's a corner lot. They are outlining driveways now with cement. Looking like a gas station type of property.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
It's a corner lot. They are outlining driveways now with cement. Looking like a gas station type of property.
The Item biztalk says it's a convenience store called ShortTrip

Old 03-22-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The Item biztalk says it's a convenience store called ShortTrip
Okay thanks, that sounds about right for that area.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Okay thanks, that sounds about right for that area.
Yeah bridges the gap between the Shell/Subway station and the Store next to McDonald's at 378

Old 03-23-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was looking at property records in downtown Sumter to see who owns most property downtown. The top three are Thompson-or some affiliate of Thompson (no surprise), PRISMA, and the City of Sumter. When I looked at the most underutilized sites.. the City is at the top of the list.. Parking lots, vacant lot at Washington and Liberty and the majority of the block surrounding the Utility Finance Dept on S. Main. They dont own the old Warehouse at the foot of Main Street next to the RR tracks.

I can only hope that the City is holding these property for future redevelopment based on the Downtown Master Plan. I know the City has done creative property transfers in the past that resulted in the development of the Hyatt Hotel, CCTC-old post office and the Tech Center, Brick Street development, the new Hampton's restaurant and several of the Senior Housing Developments.

The City also has its own owned developments like the Liberty Center, City Centre, ETV, Utility Finance Dept. to name a few. I hope they can obtain the entire block on S. Main and use it to facilitate new development especially with the property on Washington and Liberty.
Some of the those building can use a little attention. On the block between Main Street and Sumter Street across from the brewery, is a string of old shops that looks pretty neglected. These are old buildings probably dating back 100 years or more. They should at least spruce up the facade if nothing else.

I know they probably don't have the budget to fix up all these buildings but, these building I'm talking about are right in the middle of everything, and you are looking down at them from the roof of the brewery.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Some of the those building can use a little attention. On the block between Main Street and Sumter Street across from the brewery, is a string of old shops that looks pretty neglected. These are old buildings probably dating back 100 years or more. They should at least spruce up the facade if nothing else.

I know they probably don't have the budget to fix up all these buildings but, these building I'm talking about are right in the middle of everything, and you are looking down at them from the roof of the brewery.
Yeah.. I believe you are talking about this block

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9204...8192?entry=ttu

This may be a challenge since there is a strip here in the middle that seems very narrow and may not be able to be retrofitted into a modern storefront or office. I wonder if they could be torn down and rebuilt to look historic.. that way they can change the floor plate.. make the building deeper and taller to make it more attractive for a potential tenant. Because its historic the probably only want it rehab, but that may not be feasible

This is the other side of Liberty Street which I believe these buildings are all new but LOOK old.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9203...8192?entry=ttu

Old 03-23-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. I believe you are talking about this block

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9204...8192?entry=ttu

This may be a challenge since there is a strip here in the middle that seems very narrow and may not be able to be retrofitted into a modern storefront or office. I wonder if they could be torn down and rebuilt to look historic.. that way they can change the floor plate.. make the building deeper and taller to make it more attractive for a potential tenant. Because its historic the probably only want it rehab, but that may not be feasible

This is the other side of Liberty Street which I believe these buildings are all new but LOOK old.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9203...8192?entry=ttu
Yes, these are pretty new and were designed in a retro style to blend in with the other older buildings in the area. As for those aforementioned buildings, perhaps they can be torn down and replaced with new retro style ones. To restore these building will be no small task. And it's not like they are on the other end of the downtown area, they are smack in the middle of the business district along a major street through the city. I do love old historical buildings but, I don't believe these were of any historical significance that I'm aware of, look like they were just shops.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:22 AM

This is a positive development for far North Main in sumter

https://agendas.sumtersc.gov/organiz...agendas/231840
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina