Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2024, 08:59 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lol, I wasn't going to go there, but he's probably from another part of the South and I've heard others say it that way also. From his channel, look like he's based out of Columbia with offices across much of the state. I also see some Knoxville videos he made so it's hard to say. But nice little quick video.
“Shawl” AFB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 06:36 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
“Shawl” AFB.
Lol, I notice that too. But I did learn something from him, I did not know there was a connection between William-Brice Stadium and Sumter. Everybody probably knows that except me lol, I just never got that connection or ever hear anyone mentioned it.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:02 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Lol, I notice that too. But I did learn something from him, I did not know there was a connection between William-Brice Stadium and Sumter. Everybody probably knows that except me lol, I just never got that connection or ever hear anyone mentioned it.
I read in the SC Census Thread that Sumter was added into the Columbia CSA. Which in my limited knowledge is larger than the MSA. That is likely a good thing for Columbia since it THEIR CSA but shows Sumter's declining significance in the State. That said, I hope it prompts the elected officials in both cities/region to work together and promotes more regionalism. I can see Columbia working closer with Sumter than with Lexington in terms of both are central cities (as opposed to suburbs) and are very similar demographics and characteristics.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I read in the SC Census Thread that was Sumter added into the Columbia CSA. Which in my limited knowledge is larger than the MSA. That is likely a good thing for Columbia since it THEIR CSA but shows Sumter's declining significance in the State. That said, I hope it prompts the elected officials in both cities/region to work together and promotes more regionalism. I can see Columbia working closer with Sumter than with Lexington in terms of both are central cities (as opposed to suburbs) and are very similar demographics and characteristics.
From what I saw, it had Columbia, Sumter and Orangeburg listed as a CSA. I don't have much faith in communities working together in helping each other from an economic point of view. It's like everybody is looking out for themselves and trying to be better or stay ahead of the next guy. Sumter have always been pretty much a standalone and do it alone type of community.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
From what I saw, it had Columbia, Sumter and Orangeburg listed as a CSA. I don't have much faith in communities working together in helping each other from an economic point of view. It's like everybody is looking out for themselves and trying to be better or stay ahead of the next guy. Sumter have always been pretty much a standalone and do it alone type of community.
Sad part is all of these cities could benefit more by collaborating.. but to your point..choose to go it alone. I can say that for Sumter for sure.. not so sure about Orangeburg. Sumter enjoys being the big dog in the Mayesville, Bishopville, Pinewood, and Manning sphere.. I think Camden used to be in that but has pivoted towards Columbia with the spill over from NE Richland and ever widening I-20 towards Kershaw County.

I think the swamp(Wateree River) also creates a physical and psychological barrier as well. I guess if you could ask what they could do together.. it may be more at the County level and pushing for development of 378 in between both jurisdictions. I think we have shared this before.. Sumter and Columbia are Technically only 12 miles apart .. from Shaw AFB to Ft Jackson.. though whats in between is some less than desirable land in terms of development potential

Old 03-18-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Sad part is all of these cities could benefit more by collaborating.. but to your point..choose to go it alone. I can say that for Sumter for sure.. not so sure about Orangeburg. Sumter enjoys being the big dog in the Mayesville, Bishopville, Pinewood, and Manning sphere.. I think Camden used to be in that but has pivoted towards Columbia with the spill over from NE Richland and ever widening I-20 towards Kershaw County.

I think the swamp(Wateree River) also creates a physical and psychological barrier as well. I guess if you could ask what they could do together.. it may be more at the County level and pushing for development of 378 in between both jurisdictions. I think we have shared this before.. Sumter and Columbia are Technically only 12 miles apart .. from Shaw AFB to Ft Jackson.. though whats in between is some less than desirable land in terms of development potential
That's a major factor, all that swamp land and hills in those sections of both counties. Developing such areas is way too expensive for most developers. But no doubt in my mind, had all that been smooth flat land, things would be a lot different.

I believe communities can work together, and they probably do on some things. But when it comes to economics, I believe local leaders are looking out for their own interest first.

Sumter County is just not growing, the core city is only as viable as the county and surrounding communities. So, in that regards the city is always going to be limited in many areas. Growth in the county and nearby small counties really needs to grow at a healthy rate. Sumter would look much different if the county had 150,000 people vs 105,000 people.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
That's a major factor, all that swamp land and hills in those sections of both counties. Developing such areas is way too expensive for most developers. But no doubt in my mind, had all that been smooth flat land, things would be a lot different.

I believe communities can work together, and they probably do on some things. But when it comes to economics, I believe local leaders are looking out for their own interest first.

Sumter County is just not growing, the core city is only as viable as the county and surrounding communities. So, in that regards the city is always going to be limited in many areas. Growth in the county and nearby small counties really needs to grow at a healthy rate. Sumter would look much different if the county had 150,000 people vs 105,000 people.
Unfortunately.. I dont see that happening.. Sumter is the capital of the SC Bermuda Triangle.. I-20, I-95 and I-26 form a perfect triangle and with the exception of the corner where the City of Columbia is located most of it is in decline.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8399....75z?entry=ttu

Old 03-19-2024, 02:38 PM

217 posts, read 239,815 times
Hardee construction has their sign up at the corner of Patriot Parkway and Dechamps Rd.
Cinderblocks are stacked in the corner and the lot is being prepped

Old 03-20-2024, 09:08 AM

This place needs to be closed down... Its interesting that most of the people that were arrested were unlicensed security guards. What reputable company hires people for security and doesnt make sure that they are trained/licensed/bonded or doesnt require them to get it while being employed. I mean if you are a bouncer and you have to "bounce" someone and it involves a physical altercation at best or lethal force at worst...What do you think will happen when the police show up? They wont treat you as a security guard but as a perpetrator in the incident.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...10/ar-BB1kaQWw

Old 03-20-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
This place needs to be closed down... Its interesting that most of the people that were arrested were unlicensed security guards. What reputable company hires people for security and doesnt make sure that they are trained/licensed/bonded or doesnt require them to get it while being employed. I mean if you are a bouncer and you have to "bounce" someone and it involves a physical altercation at best or lethal force at worst...What do you think will happen when the police show up? They wont treat you as a security guard but as a perpetrator in the incident.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...10/ar-BB1kaQWw
I agree 100% then bulldoze it down as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina