Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I guess I look at it as.. you can get anywhere in Sumter in 10 to15 min and still have time to stop at Chick Fila while you are in route...if a nice affordable subdivision is built in the area I described.. it would be part of crosswell but certainly a neighborhood in and unto itself still minutes from everything and could create demand to be in this side of town... The only drawback I can think of is SCHOOL ZONE.. which has a major impact on residential construction. The favored schools are on the westside of town which also drives new home construction and thus both feed on each other...good schools feed new development new development feeds new schools

I may have mentioned it before.. but one of the reasons District 17 and 2 were consolidated is that development had reached the District 17 line on the west and basically stopped and the builders and Chamber of Commerce types feared that that and the less desirable schools on the eastern, north and south side of District 17 would strangle development.> District 2 surrounded District 17. So get ride of the line and zone what was once District 2 on the west NW and SW for Sumter High et al and viola.. development can continue to march westward
For the most part, that is true. However, it is not as true as it used to be, it pretty much depends on where you live and where you heading, and more than anything else, it depends on the time of day. In my daily travels, I wish that was the case all the time but it's not. There are lots of traffic in certain pockets of the city, and not to mentioned getting caught in that train traffic on South Guignard Drive. You will realize that if you every pressed for time, and have to be somewhere quick, you'll be wondering where all these people come from.

I agree with the rest of your post, it sounds about right. I believe high school kids can go to any high school in the district they want to, they just have to provide their on transportation if they go to one outside of their bus route in the consolidated district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 09:32 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
For the most part, that is true. However, it is not as true as it used to be, it pretty much depends on where you live and where you heading, and more than anything else, it depends on the time of day. In my daily travels, I wish that was the case all the time but it's not. There are lots of traffic in certain pockets of the city, and not to mentioned getting caught in that train traffic on South Guignard Drive. You will realize that if you every pressed for time, and have to be somewhere quick, you'll be wondering where all these people come from.

I agree with the rest of your post, it sounds about right. I believe high school kids can go to any high school in the district they want to, they just have to provide their on transportation if they go to one outside of their bus route in the consolidated district.
LOL... yeah.. I was exaggerating somewhat....The traffic is likely a combination of volume and driving habits... of some of our fellow drivers

Old 10-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
LOL... yeah.. I was exaggerating somewhat....The traffic is likely a combination of volume and driving habits... of some of our fellow drivers

Old 10-14-2019, 12:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYCz0V0Vqo

This currently is what going on at the old courthouse downtown right now. The old courthouse in still in use for some things, and is the voter registration center for Sumter County, and where you can early vote.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYCz0V0Vqo

This currently is what going on at the old courthouse downtown right now. The old courthouse in still in use for some things, and is the voter registration center for Sumter County, and where you can early vote.

Wow.. I hate to admit that I have never been in side the actual "Courthouse courtroom". I assume the County Council meetings used to be held there before being relocated into the annex? With the new Judicial Center.. I wonder if the plan is to make it an actual Court House again with the actual public meetings in this chamber? That chamber is much more stately than the current one in the annex..

The other thing is.. I didn't know Sumter County had a Flag as shown in this video..interesting design... The Palmetto Flag for the State is everywhere... I have seen it on cars and Tshirts all across the Country it just as a real cool but simple design....I read somewhere that it is one of the most popular state flags...and people don't even know its belongs to SC.. I was in Seattle at the airport and saw guy with one on and asked if he was from SC... he was like "Where?" I referenced the shirt and he was like "Is THAT where its from?" and looked dazed and disgusted.... LOL

Old 10-18-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Wow.. I hate to admit that I have never been in side the actual "Courthouse courtroom". I assume the County Council meetings used to be held there before being relocated into the annex? With the new Judicial Center.. I wonder if the plan is to make it an actual Court House again with the actual public meetings in this chamber? That chamber is much more stately than the current one in the annex..

The other thing is.. I didn't know Sumter County had a Flag as shown in this video..interesting design... The Palmetto Flag for the State is everywhere... I have seen it on cars and Tshirts all across the Country it just as a real cool but simple design....I read somewhere that it is one of the most popular state flags...and people don't even know its belongs to SC.. I was in Seattle at the airport and saw guy with one on and asked if he was from SC... he was like "Where?" I referenced the shirt and he was like "Is THAT where its from?" and looked dazed and disgusted.... LOL

I doubt if it will ever be used as a functioning courthouse again. They should at least have free public tours of the building after all the renovations are done. Let the taxpayers see where their money went. Maybe city hall should relocate there.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTMnSm6A16M

Found this video of the new courthouse, or Judicial Center as it is called. Another project built from the penny for progress sales tax several years ago. Very nice but wasn't large enough to house all the courts here in Sumter County, as they said it would do before it was built.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:38 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl1SY9KJSlM

Saw this video, just wanted to share it. From May of this year.
This was neat to watch for someone who's never spent time in Sumter. What intersection is that lined with the red brick at the end of the video?

Does Sumter have life on it's downtown main street? Restaurants or bars or anything? It doesn't seem run down at all like other cities and towns of similar size and smaller in SC.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:22 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
This was neat to watch for someone who's never spent time in Sumter. What intersection is that lined with the red brick at the end of the video?

Does Sumter have life on it's downtown main street? Restaurants or bars or anything? It doesn't seem run down at all like other cities and towns of similar size and smaller in SC.
Tavern on Main, Sidebar, Hampton’s, J O’Grady’s are all open on Main. The new MicroBrewery is under construction. New Hyatt hotel has a lobby bar. The Opera House has lots of entertainment events. And there is an open air venue called Piazza (sp?)with a stage and outdoor bar for all kinds of events.

The intersection is Main at Liberty. The empty lot at bottom left corner is where the MicroBrewery with rooftop bar is under construction.

Last edited by Iam4USC; 10-19-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 09:54 AM

Default whats up with the crime?

Seems like Sumter is getting more than its fair share of violent crime in 2019 more specifically.. Shootings... I hope this is all an anomaly and not a trend in the wrong direction...Seems like some sort of "ongoing turf war or dispute" as opposed to being random.. I hope the SPD can get a handle on it... Columbia is having similar challenges... Both seem to be having more than what I consider to be normal.. not that shootings are something that should be "normalized" at all...

https://www.theitem.com/stories/sumter-police-3-shot-at-palmetto-tire,335389
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina