Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 04:57 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I saw that on yesterday, look like a little weird spot for anything, especially a Starbucks. But, I felt the same way about the Dollar Store at the bottom of bridge, and it seems to be working for them.
LOL...people will find a way to get to a Dollar Store. I remember when that built Bracey Plaza in South Sumter. Many wondered if any retail would lease there given the income demographics, low traffic volume, and depopulation that was going on there. Then Family Dollar signed up. I think it is still there and the plaza last I checked is fully lease. I dont know if they built a second anchor at the back.. but it was certainly an improvement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 06:22 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
I saw an article about Sumter is going to focus on sports and military tourism... which make sense.. Many of the sports complexes in the City are suitable for small tournaments which could benefit the City. The military presence with Shaw is also huge.. but most of the activities seem to be confined to the base. I wonder if there is any interest in bring any of those efforts/activities downtown? Shaw is an AFB so .. its would be difficult to do anything downtown unlike say Ft Jackson which can provide tanks and related equipment for parades and what not downtown. I also know there is a private military museum in the James Clyburn Ctr. that could use some additional promotion.

I think the City should move forward with the creation of a downtown park to host formal and informal events. I think that could go a long way to providing a staging area for these types of activities and may spur more interest in a second hotel and maybe a market rate apartment building which all helps make the area more lively and livable .

Old 06-15-2022, 08:54 AM

35 posts, read 27,641 times
Corner of Liberty St. and Wedgefield Rd (2015 Wedgefield Rd) is going to be a car wash. Mod Wash to be exact.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:50 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
LOL...people will find a way to get to a Dollar Store. I remember when that built Bracey Plaza in South Sumter. Many wondered if any retail would lease there given the income demographics, low traffic volume, and depopulation that was going on there. Then Family Dollar signed up. I think it is still there and the plaza last I checked is fully lease. I dont know if they built a second anchor at the back.. but it was certainly an improvement
Family Dollar is still there, and the Plaza is fully occupied.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I saw an article about Sumter is going to focus on sports and military tourism... which make sense.. Many of the sports complexes in the City are suitable for small tournaments which could benefit the City. The military presence with Shaw is also huge.. but most of the activities seem to be confined to the base. I wonder if there is any interest in bring any of those efforts/activities downtown? Shaw is an AFB so .. its would be difficult to do anything downtown unlike say Ft Jackson which can provide tanks and related equipment for parades and what not downtown. I also know there is a private military museum in the James Clyburn Ctr. that could use some additional promotion.

I think the City should move forward with the creation of a downtown park to host formal and informal events. I think that could go a long way to providing a staging area for these types of activities and may spur more interest in a second hotel and maybe a market rate apartment building which all helps make the area more lively and livable .
A real life replica of one the fighter jets somewhere in the city would be cool, in like a park dedicated to the military, or just on display where people can walk around it and take pictures. As long as Shaw been apart of the community, I'm surprise we don't already have something like that within the city. And I'm not talking about a scale down model like what they had at Swan Lake, I'm talking a real Lifesize replica.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:02 PM

217 posts, read 240,397 times
Quote:
A real life replica of one the fighter jets somewhere in the city would be cool, in like a park dedicated to the military, or just on display where people can walk around it and take pictures. As long as Shaw been apart of the community, I'm surprise we don't already have something like that within the city. And I'm not talking about a scale down model like what they had at Swan Lake, I'm talking a real Lifesize replica.
P51 Mustang
F16 Falcon
F35 Lightning

Would be great in a large park setting. Maybe Patriot Park

Old 06-15-2022, 03:35 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Quote:
Used to be an RB-66 on Miller Rd between USC and Central Carolina. And the pedestal is there in front of the Veterans Park before the base. Covid put a major pause on that one.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Used to be an RB-66 on Miller Rd between USC and Central Carolina. And the pedestal is there in front of the Veterans Park before the base. Covid put a major pause on that one.
Okay thanks, I never knew that. Being a veteran myself, I love military vehicles of all sorts, and I especially like the fighter jets. I always wished they had a real display, something that look like they put some serious thought and effort into. The city should embrace it's military connection with more meaningful displays.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
P51 Mustang
F16 Falcon
F35 Lightning

Would be great in a large park setting. Maybe Patriot Park
That would be great, and I love the F35. Our connection with the military should be more prominent all around town in my opinion. If Shaw should go away someday, this city this county would face a devastating blow to the local economy. We are not nearly big enough absorb the impact they would leave behind.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
That's at the entrance to Shaw now, I see that every time I go on base. I knew it from somewhere, but the Miller Rd location just wasn't registering at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina