Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2020, 10:23 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
I've noticed a furniture store is moving into the old Dollar General next to Food Lion on 378. Doesn't have name up yet but inside in being decorated with recliners being set up at the windows
Ok thanks for that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 07:52 PM

634 posts, read 327,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
I've noticed a furniture store is moving into the old Dollar General next to Food Lion on 378. Doesn't have name up yet but inside in being decorated with recliners being set up at the windows
I've been waiting a while to see what was going to eventually take that spot. I can't say a new furniture store in that location is anywhere I'll ever bother to go to but at least it's something new, I guess.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,302 times
Does anyone know what the story is with the iHop restaurant in town? I checked the iHop website and the Sumter location is still listed, but it's shown as being closed every day. It also says to call to see if they're open for carryout. I tried calling the number that was listed on the website and it was disconnected. It seemed to me that the restaurant was always fairly busy prior to COVID. I hope that if it went out of business that someone else will pick up the franchise and reopen it once the pandemic situation improves. On a somewhat related note, it looks like the Checkers restaurant went out of business. It had a under renovation sign on its billboard by the street, but now it has a large space available for lease or sale banner across the front of it. It's another shame as I kind of enjoyed going there for lunch on occasion. Overall, it seems like the COVID pandemic may have put at least four restaurants on Broad street out of business (iHop (maybe), Checkers, the Chinese restaurant on the other side of Broad St across from Checkers, and Ruby Tuesday). I'm also not expecting Golden Corral to last much longer if they aren't allowed to open their buffet service. I really hate to see the number of dining choices being reduced as I like to eat out a lot. I'm hoping things improve soon.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:30 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Monkey View Post
Does anyone know what the story is with the iHop restaurant in town? I checked the iHop website and the Sumter location is still listed, but it's shown as being closed every day. It also says to call to see if they're open for carryout. I tried calling the number that was listed on the website and it was disconnected. It seemed to me that the restaurant was always fairly busy prior to COVID. I hope that if it went out of business that someone else will pick up the franchise and reopen it once the pandemic situation improves. On a somewhat related note, it looks like the Checkers restaurant went out of business. It had a under renovation sign on its billboard by the street, but now it has a large space available for lease or sale banner across the front of it. It's another shame as I kind of enjoyed going there for lunch on occasion. Overall, it seems like the COVID pandemic may have put at least four restaurants on Broad street out of business (iHop (maybe), Checkers, the Chinese restaurant on the other side of Broad St across from Checkers, and Ruby Tuesday). I'm also not expecting Golden Corral to last much longer if they aren't allowed to open their buffet service. I really hate to see the number of dining choices being reduced as I like to eat out a lot. I'm hoping things improve soon.
Weren’t they suppose to build like 5 Checkers in Cola starting this year?

Old 09-10-2020, 09:51 PM

143 posts, read 179,947 times
Dollar General going in the old "Fred's" on Broad Street near downtown.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:57 PM

143 posts, read 179,947 times
Quote:
It's another shame as I kind of enjoyed going there for lunch on occasion. Overall, it seems like the COVID pandemic may have put at least four restaurants on Broad street out of business (iHop (maybe), Checkers, the Chinese restaurant on the other side of Broad St across from Checkers, and Ruby Tuesday). I'm also not expecting Golden Corral to last much longer if they aren't allowed to open their buffet service. I really hate to see the number of dining choices being reduced as I like to eat out a lot. I'm hoping things improve soon.

I want to say that place was pretty much in a death spiral before the virus. I think COVID will kill many buffet style places. I went to the Jasmine buffet in Columbia earlier this week, no joke: you had to wear a mask until you sat down and then you could take it off once seated (like any other restaurant) but had to put your mask back on to go up to the buffet and put on disposable plastic gloves (think lunch lady at school cafeteria) every trip...paper plates and plastic cutlery and foam cups. This was my first buffet experience since the outbreak..not a fun experience.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:33 AM

93 posts, read 90,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
I want to say that place was pretty much in a death spiral before the virus. I think COVID will kill many buffet style places. I went to the Jasmine buffet in Columbia earlier this week, no joke: you had to wear a mask until you sat down and then you could take it off once seated (like any other restaurant) but had to put your mask back on to go up to the buffet and put on disposable plastic gloves (think lunch lady at school cafeteria) every trip...paper plates and plastic cutlery and foam cups. This was my first buffet experience since the outbreak..not a fun experience.
Woodstone in Florence was also that way with the gloves and foam plates and such.... I love their buffet tho! Always excellent service. I sure hope Sumter can pick up the pieces and start getting some new eating places in. Also I'm so over all the fast food restaurants not being open for done in. Its a huge inconvenience.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Checkers and the Chinese restaurant were gone before the COVID pandemic. We had discussions here during the time they shut down. I liked Checkers from time to time also, especially their wings. Seem like they were doing well enough to remain open. I'm guessing ihop is trying to buy some time, before they make a decision about the Sumter location.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Dollar General going in the old "Fred's" on Broad Street near downtown.
Another one?

Old 09-11-2020, 07:51 AM

82 posts, read 73,824 times
Looks like Cajun Claws & Wing is going in the "Hong Kong" Chinese restaurant location next to IGA on Wesmark Blvd. The sign is up, but I haven't driven by to see what type of progress is happening. Also, there was a parking lot full in front of Havana 65 on Broad St. this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina