Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 08:07 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Another one?
LOL.. A dollar store can open anywhere and make... well... a dollar! I have been through small towns that are totally dead with tumbleweeds rolling down the street.. but the dollar store is always thriving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 08:47 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
LOL.. A dollar store can open anywhere and make... well... a dollar! I have been through small towns that are totally dead with tumbleweeds rolling down the street.. but the dollar store is always thriving

They sure are thriving in Sumter, that's for sure. Maybe all us here should pitch in and buy into the franchise..LOL

Old 09-11-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
Looks like Cajun Claws & Wing is going in the "Hong Kong" Chinese restaurant location next to IGA on Wesmark Blvd. The sign is up, but I haven't driven by to see what type of progress is happening. Also, there was a parking lot full in front of Havana 65 on Broad St. this morning.
What is this?

Old 09-11-2020, 06:50 PM

634 posts, read 328,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
Looks like Cajun Claws & Wing is going in the "Hong Kong" Chinese restaurant location next to IGA on Wesmark Blvd. The sign is up, but I haven't driven by to see what type of progress is happening. Also, there was a parking lot full in front of Havana 65 on Broad St. this morning.
Nooooo! I didn't know Hong Kong closed. They had the best crab rangoons that I've ever eaten. I wouldn't order food there too often but if I was getting a bunch of Chinese from Chicken Shack or wherever, I'd put in for a huge order of crab rangoon from Hong Kong.
I only just got to work and my night is ruined already.

Back when I still lived in the dorms a long time ago, a buddy of mine and I would drive out over that way and get food. If you ordered $25 (pretty sure it used to be $25 but I know at some point before they closed it changed to $35) worth of food, you received your choice of either a free pint of General Tso's chicken or a free order of crab rangoons. So I'd order whatever my buddy and I wanted and then also get three or four orders of crab rangoons. The girl who used to man the phones, I'm pretty sure it was the couple who ran the store's daughter, would then go through her script about "So for every order of at least $25 you get your choice of..." and so on, and we would also get more 'goons. Or I'd place my order and ask what the total was, and if she said less than the target amount I'd tell her to add another order of 'goons on there, and then we'd trigger the free order. I remember she'd always express astonishment, like "Wait, so you're getting five orders of crab rangoons?!" after telling her that's what we wanted for our free item.

What was so good about them was that they were in a ball-form, rather than the traditional chinese restaurant-style of folding a wonton wrapper up into four sharp tips with a little pocket holding the crab and cream cheese. These would be a large scoop of the cheese/crab mixture and then they'd wrap the wonton wrapper completely around it and then fry it, meaning you got a lot more flavor out of it because there was that much more there. Those things microwaved really well, too. I'd throw a couple bags of them into the fridge and then heat them up in the microwave over the next couple days and they'd still taste amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Monkey View Post
Does anyone know what the story is with the iHop restaurant in town? I checked the iHop website and the Sumter location is still listed, but it's shown as being closed every day. It also says to call to see if they're open for carryout. I tried calling the number that was listed on the website and it was disconnected. It seemed to me that the restaurant was always fairly busy prior to COVID. I hope that if it went out of business that someone else will pick up the franchise and reopen it once the pandemic situation improves. On a somewhat related note, it looks like the Checkers restaurant went out of business. It had a under renovation sign on its billboard by the street, but now it has a large space available for lease or sale banner across the front of it. It's another shame as I kind of enjoyed going there for lunch on occasion. Overall, it seems like the COVID pandemic may have put at least four restaurants on Broad street out of business (iHop (maybe), Checkers, the Chinese restaurant on the other side of Broad St across from Checkers, and Ruby Tuesday). I'm also not expecting Golden Corral to last much longer if they aren't allowed to open their buffet service. I really hate to see the number of dining choices being reduced as I like to eat out a lot. I'm hoping things improve soon.
When it closed up the doors back in, I want to say, late March, I got on Facebook to try to find out what the deal was. I came across a lot of Sumter locals who worked there talking in different spots about how they had all been fired/laid off and told it was closing. A guy at work told me that he heard someone had purchased the building and was booting them out. Shortly after that there was an article on the Sumter Item's website where they were providing status updates on local restaurants due to the pandemic and it said they called iHOP corporate and were told that the Sumter location would be reopening. But as you can see, it hasn't reopened yet.

I hope Golden Corral is doing relatively decent business right now. I'm not a huge fan but it'd be a shame for it to go. My mother-in-law worked there and they reopened and had servers getting plates of food from the line for people and stuff but then they closed back down and called everyone in for a meeting. They told everyone they were shutting down and laid everyone off. About an hour or two after my mother-in-law told my wife that, I got on the Golden Corral FB page and saw that they posted right after the meeting that starting at the end of that week they would be selling meals. We got the bourbon chicken, sweet potato casserole, mac & cheese, and dozen yeast rolls last week and are getting it again tomorrow. For $19.99, it is a ton of food. I made myself a massive plate of it last week and then had to take a nap afterwards. It fed my household of five with leftovers.
I think they'd probably be selling a decent amount of the meals if word got out. Having to place the order a day ahead kind of sucks though because it prevents people who've had a long day at work and don't want to cook from being able to place an order. But I guess that is kind of a necessity with limited quantities of food and long cook times.

Last edited by EYEL1NER; 09-11-2020 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 07:52 PM

Infrastructure: Look Hurricane Sally, or what was left of Sally, exposed the state of infrastructure in both city and county today. Or, should I say reminded us of that we still have work to do there. Many streets all over town and the county were flooded today, my neighborhood was well. One of the Apartment complexes on Alice, parking lot was flooded out and all the cars were parked out along Alice Drive, and some parked in Tudor Place entrance.

This is really no surprise of the state of our infrastructure, especially after the floods of 2015. The city and much of the county just can't handle that much rain, and seem like nothing have been done since 2015 to improve the situation. The gutters and drainage systems around here in many places just isn't up to par. And it's the same streets and area all the time, so it should be no surprise to the city, and county where these problem areas are.

I know the new roadway on North Main is a major infrastructure project but, I don't mind seeing my tax dollars go toward improving the drainage system around town as well, that seems to get little to no attention all the time. But if people in the neighborhoods don't hold them accountable, I guess nothing will be done.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:42 AM

82 posts, read 73,892 times
My neighborhood was high and dry (relatively speaking). The usual areas where I expected flooding and water on the road there was none, though the drainage ditches were full. In 2015, the roads were much worse, so I do think the infrastructure has improved some, but I can agree that there is a lot more to do.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:43 AM

82 posts, read 73,892 times
Quote:
What is this?
I am hoping Havana 65 will be a Cuban Deli. I sent a message to the restaurant a couple of weeks ago but I have yet to receive a response.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:26 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,939 times
Quote:
Infrastructure: Look Hurricane Sally, or what was left of Sally, exposed the state of infrastructure in both city and county today. Or, should I say reminded us of that we still have work to do there. Many streets all over town and the county were flooded today, my neighborhood was well. One of the Apartment complexes on Alice, parking lot was flooded out and all the cars were parked out along Alice Drive, and some parked in Tudor Place entrance.

This is really no surprise of the state of our infrastructure, especially after the floods of 2015. The city and much of the county just can't handle that much rain, and seem like nothing have been done since 2015 to improve the situation. The gutters and drainage systems around here in many places just isn't up to par. And it's the same streets and area all the time, so it should be no surprise to the city, and county where these problem areas are.

I know the new roadway on North Main is a major infrastructure project but, I don't mind seeing my tax dollars go toward improving the drainage system around town as well, that seems to get little to no attention all the time. But if people in the neighborhoods don't hold them accountable, I guess nothing will be done.
Sumter is basically built on a swamp. Only 3 ways for water to drain away. Second Mill, Shot Pouch (Swan Lake) and Turkey Creek.

Massive amounts of rain falling in a short period of time on to ground that is basically already saturated (had an extremely wet summer) and I don’t care how good the infrastructure is, you’re going to have localized flooding.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:34 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Sumter is basically built on a swamp. Only 3 ways for water to drain away. Second Mill, Shot Pouch (Swan Lake) and Turkey Creek.

Massive amounts of rain falling in a short period of time on to ground that is basically already saturated (had an extremely wet summer) and I don’t care how good the infrastructure is, you’re going to have localized flooding.

I was told by an old civil engineer that the city streets that are owned by the City of Sumter not the SCDOT are poorly constructed ...some are no more than asphalt paths laid on dirt ...There are no crowns in the roads to keep water from ponding because there are no curbs and gutters . There are no curbs and gutters because there are no storm drains. That is why you see sidewalks in some areas built at grade with the street. Supposedly sewer and storm water have to be kept separately so you can't dump storm water into the sewers for good reason ....Therefore when it rains it literally pours.....right onto the streets and into people's yards...That combined with our swampy and flat environs...we are literally a little New Orleans ..In the words of Rob Lowe from the Parks and Rec TV Show ....Literally

Last edited by Woodlands; 09-22-2020 at 03:45 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was told by an old civil engineer that the city streets that are owned by the City of Sumter not the SCDOT are poorly constructed ...some are no more than asphalt paths laid on dirt ...There are no crowns in the roads to keep water from ponding because there are no curbs and gutters . There are no curbs and gutters because there are no storm drains. That is why you see sidewalks in some areas built at grade with the street. Supposedly sewer and storm water have to be kept separately so you can't dump storm water into the sewers for good reason ....Therefore when it rains it literally pours.....right onto the streets and into people's yards...That combined with our swampy and flat environs...we are literally a little New Orleans ..In the words of Rob Lowe from the Parks and Rec TV Show ....Literally
I agree that is one of the main factor, most the infrastructure is very old or have deteriorated. I live in Tudor and see for myself that the drainage over here is very poorly constructed, and way too small of a system. I understand there are going to be some localized flooding, but it can be kept at a minimum. Like I said it's the same streets all the time, and if nothing else, at least fix the problem on our majors roads through town.

The city and county should be doing periodic inspections and maintenance on the drainage system. And after a significant rain fall while the drain is running seem like a perfect time to do some inspection on the system to see how it is functioning. A lot the flooding could be from something as simple as blockage somewhere in the lines, that's preventing the water from flowing properly. Blockage from debris and trash buildup over time, or from the lines themselves that have deteriorated and collapsed somewhere along the system.

I know we can't prevent all the flooding, I understand that, but I think we can do just a little better than what we are doing now. The best system in the world, couldn't hold back the rain we had in the flood of 2015, but many of our streets flood with much less rain than what we even had the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina