Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2023, 10:24 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I would assume that hundreds of students use the CCTC facility daily no? I havent been down there to witness it myself, but I would hope that would offer a strong base for a lunch crowd atleast... The hospital is very close by as well. Years ago, I recall a focus group meeting on downtown and the hospital employees were scared to leave the confines of their facility to go anywhere downtown. They would just eat at the cafe or drive up Broad Street. I cant imagine if that is the case today and people in scrubs are likely (at least I hope) all over downtown?

Certainly more apartments downtown would help create a more vibrant vibe. Downtown Sumter is more of a service and government related downtown as opposed to office and corporate headquarters.. so maybe the post pandemic wont hit is as hard for the long term as say cities in SC with more office space downtown? Most of the restaurants down there now seem to be destination restaurants than just exclusively the lunch time crowd.
I agree and it's a very walkable area. There is still a lot of potential in the downtown area, as well as for other parts of the city. But if data continue to show you a losing people, then you won't be able to take advantages of those potentials. Leaders have to find a way to attract and stimulate growth across the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 02:11 PM

22 posts, read 23,000 times
I have talked to Safe fcu several times about giving us a off base location several times since access is now limited to military only and there answer was as long as base is open they will not put one in area. They don't seem to be concerned about us civilians that have helped established them over the years. More concerned with getting state wide and other side of Sumter.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:26 PM

634 posts, read 327,160 times
[quote=mizzritz007;65544564]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Which corner? The one completely opposite McDonald's, by the strip mall with the smoke shop, dentist office, and board game store? Or the one with the gas station and Country Boy Cookin?' Or actually, I guess maybe you could mean the remaining corner, which currently has nothing at it. That'd probably be the best of of the corners.

Across 378 from McDonald's next to O'Reillys. I also noticed the excavator. I had heard a while back about a Scooters Coffee going there. I do wish we had a Safe Bank location on the base side of town. I don't have base access so the one on base serves me no purpose.
Ah, okay then. I guess that is a good little spot for something to go on; I'm surprised that it wasn't developed until now. I don't drink coffee so it's nowhere I'll ever go, but it's good for those who do.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:37 PM

[quote=EYEL1NER;65547899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
Ah, okay then. I guess that is a good little spot for something to go on; I'm surprised that it wasn't developed until now. I don't drink coffee so it's nowhere I'll ever go, but it's good for those who do.
From their menu, they also serve smoothies, teas, breakfast sandwiches and burritos, muffins, cinnamon rolls and a few other things.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:32 AM

217 posts, read 239,889 times
[quote=EYEL1NER;65547899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
https://www.scooterscoffee.com/locations
Sumter is now listed on the official website

Old 07-14-2023, 01:39 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree and it's a very walkable area. There is still a lot of potential in the downtown area, as well as for other parts of the city. But if data continue to show you a losing people, then you won't be able to take advantages of those potentials. Leaders have to find a way to attract and stimulate growth across the county.
..What would it take to make a young 20 or 30 something move to or stay in Sumter? I think that is the $1million dollar question especially when it comes to living in apartments downtown since they tend to be the demographic that does it the most. Those whom I met over the years are either here because of family obligations, are in the military at Shaw, or have a good/well established job. That last category often includes being transferred to Sumter from another location, being a part of a successful family run business OR social connection son or daughter of someone that is connected getting a managerial or executive level job because of that connection. The Son or daughter of so and so went to Wilson Hall graduates, goes to the other Gamecock City for college, graduates, comes back and gets a job as the branch manager of a local bank or VP in the family run business and moves slightly west of their parents already west Sumter subdivision.

Everyone else seems to hit the door if they are mobile enough to do so. So it would seem to boil down to jobs, which would attract residents, which then attracts more businesses/housing options to service that population. Sumter does seem to land manufacturing plants but they tend to simply attract employees from the surrounding areas who commute (Mayesville, Pinewood, Manning etc) as opposed to attracting residents to live Sumter proper.

When it comes to jobs, especially white collar jobs, Sumter has ALOT of competition in state. Its location between Columbia and Florence doesnt help as those two cities seem to pull the jobs and that age demographic away from Sumter especially Columbia. Sumter seems to focus on retirees.. which is not horrible as they too spend money on entertainment as well. Retirees in Sumter tend to ex military or people moving back to Sumter after being gone to live off their pension or be close to relatives and lower cost of living.

Again, my over simplification/generalization of things.. but it seems like a tough nut to crack and one that seems to be an ongoing challenge in terms of increasing the areas overall population. SUmter is still one of my favorite places .

Last edited by Woodlands; 07-14-2023 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
..What would it take to make a young 20 or 30 something move to or stay in Sumter? I think that is the $1million dollar question especially when it comes to living in apartments downtown since they tend to be the demographic that does it the most. Those whom I met over the years are either here because of family obligations, are in the military at Shaw, or have a good/well established job. That last category often includes being transferred to Sumter from another location, being a part of a successful family run business OR social connection son or daughter of someone that is connected getting a managerial or executive level job because of that connection. The Son or daughter of so and so went to Wilson Hall graduates, goes to the other Gamecock City for college, graduates, comes back and gets a job as the branch manager of a local bank or VP in the family run business and moves slightly west of their parents already west Sumter subdivision.

Everyone else seems to hit the door if they are mobile enough to do so. So it would seem to boil down to jobs, which would attract residents, which then attracts more businesses/housing options to service that population. Sumter does seem to land manufacturing plants but they tend to simply attract employees from the surrounding areas who commute (Mayesville, Pinewood, Manning etc) as opposed to attracting residents to live Sumter proper.

When it comes to jobs, especially white collar jobs, Sumter has ALOT of competition in state. Its location between Columbia and Florence doesnt help as those two cities seem to pull the jobs and that age demographic away from Sumter especially Columbia. Sumter seems to focus on retirees.. which is not horrible as they too spend money on entertainment as well. Retirees in Sumter tend to ex military or people moving back to Sumter after being gone to live off their pension or be close to relatives and lower cost of living.

Again, my over simplification/generalization of things.. but it seems like a tough nut to crack and one that seems to be an ongoing challenge in terms of increasing the areas overall population. SUmter is still one of my favorite places .
Good paying jobs, that's at the root of sustaining and growing a population, and that's something Sumter don't have enough of. I think we are holding up well considering all the unfavorable circumstances. Even if the city is not growing, you still want the county to grow.

With so many booming areas around the state it is indeed an ongoing challenge. We still have lots of land all around the area for new industries but, the infrastructure is not there yet.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:39 AM

17 posts, read 21,250 times
What’s going up across from McDonald’s at the corner of 441 and Broad? Same side as O’Reilly’s.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycub912 View Post
What’s going up across from McDonald’s at the corner of 441 and Broad? Same side as O’Reilly’s.
I'm hearing it's a Scooter's Coffee.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:51 PM

217 posts, read 239,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycub912 View Post
https://www.scooterscoffee.com/locations
The Item has article up with another Scooters being built next to Walgreens off Pinewood Rd

Last edited by Dalzelldragon; 07-17-2023 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina