Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2023, 05:56 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Is this the location of the new El Paso restaurant??
https://images.app.goo.gl/WfUYmjJyUyPxtSbw9
The El Paso restaurant is going to be at 154 S. Main Street near the intersection of Barlette Street. I don't know what's going on at the Kimbrell's location, I'll post if I hear anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 05:26 PM

22 posts, read 22,986 times
Something going on at corner opposite McDonalds on corner of 76 and Peach Orchard Rd. Excavator and concrete drain pipe staged in field.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:17 PM

22 posts, read 22,986 times
I found this under county planning board, but no documents about it. "1120 Peach Orchard Rd. (County), Scooter's Coffee new building construction"

Old 07-12-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scp&d View Post
I found this under county planning board, but no documents about it. "1120 Peach Orchard Rd. (County), Scooter's Coffee new building construction"
Okay, thanks for sharing.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:27 PM

634 posts, read 326,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scp&d View Post
Something going on at corner opposite McDonalds on corner of 76 and Peach Orchard Rd. Excavator and concrete drain pipe staged in field.
Which corner? The one completely opposite McDonald's, by the strip mall with the smoke shop, dentist office, and board game store? Or the one with the gas station and Country Boy Cookin?' Or actually, I guess maybe you could mean the remaining corner, which currently has nothing at it. That'd probably be the best of of the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Is this the location of the new El Paso restaurant??
https://images.app.goo.gl/WfUYmjJyUyPxtSbw9
I can't view that link here at work for some reason but the location is across from the campus on Main, in what was the Sidewalk Cafe (that had a macaron/coffee shop upstairs as part of it). I had been to Sidewalk Cafe a few times several years ago when a board game group was trying to get weekly nights going there but hadn't heard anything about it for a while and wasn't sure if it was still open or not. I guess the Sumter Item article about El Paso says that the family that will be running and operating it saw the building and fell in love with it. It is a decent little spot, especially if they keep the upstairs open for dining or maybe larger parties that require more tables. It was kind of cozy upstairs.

The new Raceway on Carter Rd and Broad is open. I guess they were giving away gas vouchers and free Hunt Bros pizza. I just drove by 45 mins ago on my way to work and saw that gas is $3.06 so I don't see any reason to stop there in the next couple days (I've got a half tank right now). Maybe that's what everywhere is at right now; I wouldn't know since I haven't needed any and haven't paid attention to prices. That's not low-enough for me to rush there and be excited about it opening though.
I'm just hoping they are open late (all night would be nice but I doubt that it's 24hrs). I'm tried of going to the Stamey Livestock Circle K at 9:30PM on my way to work and them being closed. Hopefully when the new one of those is built and they relocate, they keep better hours. I mean, if you're spending all that money on a brand new space then you better be making sure you can stay open all the way until close.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:14 PM

217 posts, read 239,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Which corner? The one completely opposite McDonald's, by the strip mall with the smoke shop, dentist office, and board game store? Or the one with the gas station and Country Boy Cookin?' Or actually, I guess maybe you could mean the remaining corner, which currently has nothing at it. That'd probably be the best of of the corners.

I can't view that link here at work for some reason but the location is across from the campus on Main, in what was the Sidewalk Cafe (that had a macaron/coffee shop upstairs as part of it). I had been to Sidewalk Cafe a few times several years ago when a board game group was trying to get weekly nights going there but hadn't heard anything about it for a while and wasn't sure if it was still open or not. I guess the Sumter Item article about El Paso says that the family that will be running and operating it saw the building and fell in love with it. It is a decent little spot, especially if they keep the upstairs open for dining or maybe larger parties that require more tables. It was kind of cozy upstairs.

The new Raceway on Carter Rd and Broad is open. I guess they were giving away gas vouchers and free Hunt Bros pizza. I just drove by 45 mins ago on my way to work and saw that gas is $3.06 so I don't see any reason to stop there in the next couple days (I've got a half tank right now). Maybe that's what everywhere is at right now; I wouldn't know since I haven't needed any and haven't paid attention to prices. That's not low-enough for me to rush there and be excited about it opening though.
I'm just hoping they are open late (all night would be nice but I doubt that it's 24hrs). I'm tried of going to the Stamey Livestock Circle K at 9:30PM on my way to work and them being closed. Hopefully when the new one of those is built and they relocate, they keep better hours. I mean, if you're spending all that money on a brand new space then you better be making sure you can stay open all the way until close.
Yeah I read that item article, hopefully they do well.

Stopped at the new Raceway to grab a drink and yeah they were given away pizza slices. Nice store inside. With the new Raceway, Strip mall, Apartments and Circle K coming next that area of town looks like newer areas of Columbia and Lexington and I'm all for it.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:54 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9150 View Post
I've noticed some work is being done on the old Kimbrell's building (102 S. Main St.) looks like they're using a crane to do some work on the roof (f air conditioning?). Wonder what's that's about?
Wow.. Good news > I would love to see more progress downtown especially south of Liberty Street

Old 07-13-2023, 07:56 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The El Paso restaurant is going to be at 154 S. Main Street near the intersection of Barlette Street. I don't know what's going on at the Kimbrell's location, I'll post if I hear anything.
I would assume that hundreds of students use the CCTC facility daily no? I havent been down there to witness it myself, but I would hope that would offer a strong base for a lunch crowd atleast... The hospital is very close by as well. Years ago, I recall a focus group meeting on downtown and the hospital employees were scared to leave the confines of their facility to go anywhere downtown. They would just eat at the cafe or drive up Broad Street. I cant imagine if that is the case today and people in scrubs are likely (at least I hope) all over downtown?

Certainly more apartments downtown would help create a more vibrant vibe. Downtown Sumter is more of a service and government related downtown as opposed to office and corporate headquarters.. so maybe the post pandemic wont hit is as hard for the long term as say cities in SC with more office space downtown? Most of the restaurants down there now seem to be destination restaurants than just exclusively the lunch time crowd.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:23 AM

93 posts, read 89,873 times
[quote=EYEL1NER;65543102]Which corner? The one completely opposite McDonald's, by the strip mall with the smoke shop, dentist office, and board game store? Or the one with the gas station and Country Boy Cookin?' Or actually, I guess maybe you could mean the remaining corner, which currently has nothing at it. That'd probably be the best of of the corners.

Across 378 from McDonald's next to O'Reillys. I also noticed the excavator. I had heard a while back about a Scooters Coffee going there. I do wish we had a Safe Bank location on the base side of town. I don't have base access so the one on base serves me no purpose.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I would assume that hundreds of students use the CCTC facility daily no? I havent been down there to witness it myself, but I would hope that would offer a strong base for a lunch crowd atleast... The hospital is very close by as well. Years ago, I recall a focus group meeting on downtown and the hospital employees were scared to leave the confines of their facility to go anywhere downtown. They would just eat at the cafe or drive up Broad Street. I cant imagine if that is the case today and people in scrubs are likely (at least I hope) all over downtown?

Certainly more apartments downtown would help create a more vibrant vibe. Downtown Sumter is more of a service and government related downtown as opposed to office and corporate headquarters.. so maybe the post pandemic wont hit is as hard for the long term as say cities in SC with more office space downtown? Most of the restaurants down there now seem to be destination restaurants than just exclusively the lunch time crowd.
That's not really the case these days, the city has done a great job cleaning up that area. Is it perfect? No but it's not what it used to be. I often see hospital workers walking around down there on their lunch break, as well as patrons of the Hyatt Place. They also have security guards walking around the area also. I honestly haven't heard of any major incident in the area for some time now.

The new restaurant should do well, it's right across the street from CCTC and easy walking distance for people who work in the area, and a convenient stop on the way home from work, I wish them well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina