Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:21 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,312,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Senate votes 37-3 to remove Confederate battle flag from Statehouse grounds - Post and Courier

Sigh. 37-3 vote to remove that damn flag finally.

Yes. 3 actually said keep it flying. All of them Upstate reps.
State senators Danny Verdin (Republican, Senate District 9), Lee Bright (Republican, Senate District 12) and Harvey Peeler (Republican, Senate District 14) cast the three votes against removing the flag. Peeler was a member of the Democratic Party, the political party in power at the time the flag went up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 06:44 AM

11,712 posts, read 24,828,412 times
Quote:
Senate votes 37-3 to remove Confederate battle flag from Statehouse grounds - Post and Courier

Yes. 3 actually said keep it flying. All of them Upstate reps..

Sorry guys....the rest of the state is ready to move on from 1861. I mean really? You guys have NASCAR tracks nearby up there. Isnt that enough?
Not sure what you want me to do about it. I'm not a state senator.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,139,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Anything that divides like this needs to go. It's our past not out future. I'm sure those on the slaves' side don't enjoy this "heritage".
With that logic, Jessie, Al and Obama need to go then!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 AM

53 posts, read 42,479 times
The divide of this state is evident in this thread....way to be tolerant of other opinions...

Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I've seen Obama try to reach across the lines, I agree on the other two. But that's off topic. I've voted across party lines. Wish they'd get rid of parties so people would have to think instead of voting how they've been brainwashed to. Obama's biggest problem for most is he looks different. I've seen no president receive more ridicule than him. I've even heard people call him the n word. My last post on this off topic opinion.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:
Good Lord, this line is sooooo played out now until it's not even funny.

Can we keep the discussion on the flag? If you'd prefer to see it stay, then just say that; don't hide behind the president and other folks.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,139,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good Lord, this line is sooooo played out now until it's not even funny.

Can we keep the discussion on the flag? If you'd prefer to see it stay, then just say that; don't hide behind the president and other folks.
Not me. I'm all for it coming down. I'm not necessarily against the flag, I just don't think it belongs on State house grounds.

A poster just made a comment that "anything that divides needs to go." My response was a bit sarcastic but meant to show just how ridiculous his comment was. THere will always be division. The need to "stamp out" all that divides is impossible and improbable. Because what I may see as a division might not be seen to others as a division. So who is to decide?

What's next? A book burning at the local library? People need to realize that the world does not revolve around them.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:
Not me. I'm all for it coming down. I'm not necessarily against the flag, I just don't think it belongs on State house grounds.

A poster just made a comment that "anything that divides needs to go." My response was a bit sarcastic but meant to show just how ridiculous his comment was. THere will always be division. The need to "stamp out" all that divides is impossible and improbable. Because what I may see as a division might not be seen to others as a division. So who is to decide?

What's next? A book burning at the local library? People need to realize that the world does not revolve around them.
In this context, we all knew what he meant though.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,909,490 times
Quote:

Yes. 3 actually said keep it flying. All of them Upstate reps..

Sorry guys....the rest of the state is ready to move on from 1861. I mean really? You guys have NASCAR tracks nearby up there. Isnt that enough?
NO, we cant fly them there either! Seriously, why are you blaming all upstaters for the vote of 3. Im so sick of hearing about the damn flag, just take it down and be done with it! Its not going to change anything! Hate is still going to be there, so what do you do? Ban it all together? Right, like thats going to happen!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,851,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
NO, we cant fly them there either! Seriously, why are you blaming all upstaters for the vote of 3. Im so sick of hearing about the damn flag, just take it down and be done with it! Its not going to change anything! Hate is still going to be there, so what do you do? Ban it all together? Right, like thats going to happen!
It's going to change a lot of things. Conventions, sports events, and concerts can now come since many of these things boycotted coming to the state because the flag was up. I also expect more economic development to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina