Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Thanks for the summary, very useful for those of us who are considering a move to SC.
And South Carolinians are generally much friendlier to one another in person. Something about this forum brings out latent rivalry

Like I've said on here before, life in any of South Carolina's three cities is pleasant. There are differences, to be sure, but life is good in all three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:33 PM

513 posts, read 576,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: ", and I have a bit of a pet peeve concerning the reputation that SC seems to have nationally"

Most likely really under revision, correct? SC looks like it's going into slightly different days from her past.
Yes, I would agree, but reputations (deserved or undeserved) take time to be amended. In my travels and time living in the West, and also from my experiences with my wife's family and friends in the WEST, the South in general is not viewed very favorably by most other parts of the country (in fact it is viewed with much disdain and patronizing humor by many). This being true on many fronts from race relations to education to sophistication to poverty to most aspects of American life. It almost seems as if much of the country believes that the South has not changed over the past 50 years and that the "Beverly Hillbillies" represent the majority of us. Look at all the movies made in the South or about southerners - they are very stereotypical and quite condescending. Then you have "reality" shows on TV that don't help either But from what I see, the South may actually have BETTER race relations than much of the country; partly because we are so much more diverse, but a for a variety of other reasons too. Our education system in SC (can't speak for other southern states) is not nearly as bad as it's reputation or as people think it is (has come a looong way over the past 25 years, and has the 4th highest standards in the country), and a visit to just about any growing southern city would demonstrate that we are just as sophisticated as other parts of the country. And yes, our cities in SC are good examples of that. Do we have poverty and lack of education in areas, of course. But every state I have been to (nearly all of them) is exactly the same in that regard.

Sorry - not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to respond with a little more detail as the Southern reputation is important and applicable to SC and our cities.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:39 PM

513 posts, read 576,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Thanks for the summary, very useful for those of us who are considering a move to SC.
You're very welcome! I am just trying to give a fair view of our state and cities. Not everyone will be happy in SC, just as not everyone would be happy in any particular place. But I believe that many people can find a good home here, given the diversity of our state and the wealth of opportunities. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to answer honestly.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:39 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Re: "It almost seems as if much of the country believes that the South has not changed over the past 50 years and that the "Beverly Hillbillies" represent the majority of us"

I would tend to agree to that but would note that my constant travels to the South (I'm a 'Northerner') disabused me of the conclusion that some may have of the South. Amazing what you can pick up with your eyes and ears and by simply throwing oneself into the mix.

What I wish would get more understood is that all the regions and states of our great country have their own particular customs and ways to live life. Each has something to contribute to the great fabric of the US. and I'd think SC has done that with its acceptance of change and diversity in its population.

And as it should since the combination of history and tradition is the bedrock that helps to further the willingness to move forward. From the looks of it iit is a state that has no issues with identity. Just my observation from walking through great green spaces and streets and speaking with the opinion-filled natives. Not sure yet if it will be 'our' state one day but we know we'll get a mighty fine 'Southern' reception if it will be. Something we've always been used to...;-)...

Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 AM

126 posts, read 200,053 times
The OP's explanation has finally given me some insight on something I have been trying to understand for years while I have been down here..... why is it that when I travel and mention "Greenville", outsiders think of Greenville, NC but if I say that Im just a few minutes south of Spartanburg....its like a lightbulb goes off in their minds as they will say... "oh, THAT Greenville". but then start talking about Spartanburg. So to anyone out there...was Spartanburg supposed to be "the city" in the Upstate but due to proper planning, Greenville just "grew" to what it is today triumphing SBurg?

Even reviewing old tv shows, concerts, radio/tv adsand other media related material over the years....Spartanburg always comes up first. As a matter of fact, just recently, talk show/former dj/comedianne Wendy Williams put in a plug about her coming to Spartanburg and Im like....why not Greenville. **nothing against Spartanburg as I have heavily considered a move there at one time.....but I guess im trying to understand why and how Spartanburg is widely known moreso than Greenville.

help a non-native of SC out on this and thank you!

Old 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
According to the census, you have to go back to 1910 for Spartanburg to have had a larger population, and even then, it was very similar. There was a period in the 70s and 80s where Spartanburg was growing and Greenville was in decline. It briefly looked like Spartanburg might overtake Greenville but then the revitalization of downtown Greenville occurred. In the last 15-20 years, Spartanburg has been on the decline while Greenville has seen significant growth. More recently, Spartanburg seems to be coming back around to a growth mode - time will tell if that growth is sustained.

The two towns are separate but are connected in many ways.

It is somewhat hard to measure growth in either city due to the odd annexation laws in SC. What would be incorporated within the city limits in most states is unincorporated area. The causes are complex but at least part of it relates to the Greenville area having a regional sewer authority that runs sewer lines outside of the city limits.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:44 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
The OP's explanation has finally given me some insight on something I have been trying to understand for years while I have been down here..... why is it that when I travel and mention "Greenville", outsiders think of Greenville, NC but if I say that Im just a few minutes south of Spartanburg....its like a lightbulb goes off in their minds as they will say... "oh, THAT Greenville". but then start talking about Spartanburg. So to anyone out there...was Spartanburg supposed to be "the city" in the Upstate but due to proper planning, Greenville just "grew" to what it is today triumphing SBurg?

Even reviewing old tv shows, concerts, radio/tv adsand other media related material over the years....Spartanburg always comes up first. As a matter of fact, just recently, talk show/former dj/comedianne Wendy Williams put in a plug about her coming to Spartanburg and Im like....why not Greenville. **nothing against Spartanburg as I have heavily considered a move there at one time.....but I guess im trying to understand why and how Spartanburg is widely known moreso than Greenville.

help a non-native of SC out on this and thank you!
The name Spartanburg is more unique. That makes it easier to recall.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
The name Spartanburg is more unique. That makes it easier to recall.
Yeah, that's another point that I was thinking. There's only one Spartanburg in the U.S. while several states have a Green(e)ville.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, that's another point that I was thinking. There's only one Spartanburg in the U.S. while several states have a Green(e)ville.
The only other Charleston worth mentioning is the capitol of West Virginia, as far as Columbia goes though people are more likely to get it mixed up with the country than DC.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:45 AM

808 posts, read 1,015,455 times
Interesting comment about how rivalry of 2nd tier cities of georgia forum can get. Seems to me Mutiny was a ring leader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina