Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 11:16 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,474,441 times

Advertisements

Good night.

This will be my last post on this forum. I don't handle contentious and irrational people well. I think that I just went into a rage spiral over Mutiny and his sidekick SCSU. lol That is basically what he wants. I loathe that guy and how he never gets banned for his poor people skills and threadjacking. How does the moderator miss what I see? He is a crankier version of GSP101 who finally got banned after years of obvious trolling. GSP101 was at least funny in a way, god bless him.

It is an odd situation when a person like Mutiny, who would be banned on most forums due to his contentious nature and threadjacking, is essentially a moderator on the website. Nobody else could have made contentious posts about Miami and Jacksonville, cities that are 6 to 10 hours away from SC, for pages and pages on a SC forum, and not get banned. Yet he tries to get me banned, and I talk about the topics in the forum and in an affable way.

For people interested in Greenville, check out this website:

VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

It isn't a world class city, or sophisticated, it is vanilla, it is backward, it has no history, no culture, it is no Charleston, but it is the waterfall city.

Go chasing waterfalls.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-14-2016 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 05:11 AM

5,782 posts, read 4,794,550 times
I think everyone should move to Greenville. Charleston is big enough already.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:15 PM

135 posts, read 167,890 times
Always thought so, but finally confirmed. Makes like the 30th name added to ignore.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:26 AM

47 posts, read 52,783 times
I think Greenville is under-rated and Charleston over-rated. It's not that one is better than the other, but the expectations don't align with the reality. But it does mean that one is a helluva lot more affordable.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,933,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustarheel View Post
I live in Greer. And to be honest, there is not a ton of difference for the average resident between Greenville, Charleston and Columbia.

Charleston is growing at a rate twice that of Cola and Greenville but a lot of that is retiree driven. Likewise, a lot of Greenville's growth is retiree driven for those who want a slower pace and be close to the mountains. For the "it" factor, nothing touches Charleston.
I'd love to see the age breakdown for population growth - I've seen multiple people post that most of it is "retiree driven." Is this anecdotal or did you find stats?

Old 02-21-2016, 03:28 PM

13,081 posts, read 18,950,255 times
I think Charleston's status as a city that is attracting young professionals has only intensified since this USA Today article came out.

'Post-college towns' brim with youth, jobs

Old 02-21-2016, 09:23 PM

5,306 posts, read 6,263,972 times
FWIW- I think a lot of retirees and near retirees in the Upstate are moving to be closer to family who already moved to the area. When I was at Clemson it was actually not uncommon to see parents falling in love with the overall upstate in comparison to the areas where they had raised their families. Now that I have some years on me I can think of several people who started jobs/families near Greenville and had their parents move closer when the kids came along.

I think one thing Columbia has over Charleston is a large/more affordable downtown area. Greenville also has a nice downtown and in many ways I think its friendlier than Charleston to people as they age out of that mid 20s bracket but it is not as large in terms of maintaining an urban feel. I live in Charleston and love the area but there is no arguing that price and scarcity of affordable (meaning less than 500k) housing in the more desirable areas really leaves a lot of people on the outside looking in.

We also don't have as strong of an overall job market or as competitive salaries. Many of those new companies are bringing in staffing from elsewhere and you see lower than average wages in many professional fields (law, medicine, architecture) because young people and older transfers literally flood the market.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,509,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I think Charleston's status as a city that is attracting young professionals has only intensified since this USA Today article came out.

'Post-college towns' brim with youth, jobs
This article is some truth, but mostly bogus. Charleston, especially downtown, is getting too expensive, especially for a 20 something entry level fresh out of college yada yada. Most aren't going into IT like the article tries to portray, especially not from CofC.

"20 somethings in San Francisco are thriving"...have you heard the Yelp story currently going on? It is the complete opposite. Even in 2014 when this was published, the San Fran struggle was still very bad.

And the average commute is definitely not 10 minutes, even when it's not flooded. Just because (downtown) Charleston is walkable and has a bunch of bars doesn't make it a new, young mecca. And with all the new urbanist mumbo jumbo, Charleston still has a sprawl problem and we're still very car reliant.

This article is trying to paint Charleston as an ultra easy going place that's easy to settle down and start life and live quaint by the water with no worries, but it's just not that easy. It's possible, but its not as simple as the article makes it seem.

I love Charleston, but that article paints the wrong picture and doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:30 AM

13,081 posts, read 18,950,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
This article is some truth, but mostly bogus. Charleston, especially downtown, is getting too expensive, especially for a 20 something entry level fresh out of college yada yada. Most aren't going into IT like the article tries to portray, especially not from CofC.

"20 somethings in San Francisco are thriving"...have you heard the Yelp story currently going on? It is the complete opposite. Even in 2014 when this was published, the San Fran struggle was still very bad.

And the average commute is definitely not 10 minutes, even when it's not flooded. Just because (downtown) Charleston is walkable and has a bunch of bars doesn't make it a new, young mecca. And with all the new urbanist mumbo jumbo, Charleston still has a sprawl problem and we're still very car reliant.

This article is trying to paint Charleston as an ultra easy going place that's easy to settle down and start life and live quaint by the water with no worries, but it's just not that easy. It's possible, but its not as simple as the article makes it seem.

I love Charleston, but that article paints the wrong picture and doesn't tell the whole story.
Actually, I agree with you. From what I have seen in my seven months here, Charleston has got to make some changes in terms of having reasonably-priced housing in close-in spots, or it is destined to become a victim of its own success very soon. Young people who want to live in or stay in Charleston or the Charleston area don't want to live on the other side of Ridgeville in order to be able to buy a house or afford rent. Neither do any other age groups.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:51 AM

9,613 posts, read 7,014,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Actually, I agree with you. From what I have seen in my seven months here, Charleston has got to make some changes in terms of having reasonably-priced housing in close-in spots, or it is destined to become a victim of its own success very soon. Young people who want to live in or stay in Charleston or the Charleston area don't want to live on the other side of Ridgeville in order to be able to buy a house or afford rent. Neither do any other age groups.
This rationale doesn't seem to apply to places like San Fransisco which has a population in the millions, so it may be a long time before actually becomes a victim of its own success, if at all.
Downtown Charleston itself is building higher density housing , but that alone can't guarantee prices will come down to affordable levels for awhile. The prices are what they are because somebody can afford it and is willing to pay for it. It will continue this way until they reach a price point the market can no longer support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina