Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
What's a yankee "messenger?"
That would be you. JK!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Jeanne roberts? The comedian. I love her, she kills me. LOL

That was sooo funny!!! You need to google her show when she and her husband was going nude bungy jumping. It's hilarious.
There may be some of her shows I haven't seen but I watch anything new that I find. I love her North Carolina humor. North Carolina has a very dry gotcha humor like Andy Griffith. And most of what either of them says is true.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
DC Fairwinds, South Carolina is diverse as most states are. We had a friend whose husband lost his job in Charlotte and he ended up managing a farm in Bethune, South Carolina. His wife was just about as comical as Jeanne Robertson telling us about her transition time from Union County, NC, to the Bethune area. Scholastically her son was in the top 2% of the nation and getting him adjusted to their schools, well let's just say it never really happened.

First I need to introduce you to our area. We moved as far from Charlotte as we could to still have a local telephone back in the 70's. We went to our home closing and still had a whole day to get a few things started so we could move from Charlotte. We went to the post office to get a mailbox and it was closed for lunch. So we decided to go to the next town to get our banking started. They would be back at 2. We finally got everything done but you don't just walk into the town and expect everything to be open, or you didn't back then. We are about twice the size now and things have changed. I soon learned to keep bread and milk in my freezer after traveling 20 miles to find a store open after 6 P. M. I finally found a small Mom and Pop open on the back roads.

Bethune was a little more difficult with things open for a couple hours in the morning and afternoon. Then there were the flies. She sprayed her home every day and filled a vacuum bag full of flies after they died. My son stayed with them for a while in the summer and I carried about 13 flies home in my little K car just putting his bicycle inside. They only stayed there for one season because her husband bought a farm back here. Her son is a college professor now.

Each town has its own personality both here and in South Carolina. What are you looking for as far as location?

We found the people in Vermont to be very friendly and helpful. People in both North and South Carolina are the same. The people who blow at you in Myrtle Beach or Charleston are probably on vacation from somewhere else. Ignore them; we do.

One thing you will need to watch out for is the topography. Build on high ground. We sometimes get a lot of rain and it sometimes doesn't move out fast.

Last edited by NCN; 05-25-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 08:15 PM

496 posts, read 467,231 times
haha, I got the Yankee part. The messenger threw me off a bit. I am definitely a Yankee but please don't hold that against me. LOL

Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
DC Fairwinds, South Carolina is diverse as most states are. We had a friend whose husband lost his job in Charlotte and he ended up managing a farm in Bethune, South Carolina. His wife was just about as comical as Jeanne Robertson telling us about her transition time from Union County, NC, to the Bethune area. Scholastically her son was in the top 2% of the nation and getting him adjusted to their schools, well let's just say it never really happened.

First I need to introduce you to our area. We moved as far from Charlotte as we could to still have a local telephone back in the 70's. We went to our home closing and still had a whole day to get a few things started so we could move from Charlotte. We went to the post office to get a mailbox and it was closed for lunch. So we decided to go to the next town to get our banking started. They would be back at 2. We finally got everything done but you don't just walk into the town and expect everything to be open, or you didn't back then. We are about twice the size now and things have changed. I soon learned to keep bread and milk in my freezer after traveling 20 miles to find a store open after 6 P. M. I finally found a small Mom and Pop open on the back roads.

Bethune was a little more difficult with things open for a couple hours in the morning and afternoon. Then there were the flies. She sprayed her home every day and filled a vacuum bag full of flies after they died. My son stayed with them for a while in the summer and I carried about 13 flies home in my little K car just putting his bicycle inside. They only stayed there for one season because her husband bought a farm back here. Her son is a college professor now.

Each town has its own personality both here and in South Carolina. What are you looking for as far as location?

We found the people in Vermont to be very friendly and helpful. People in both North and South Carolina are the same. The people who blow at you in Myrtle Beach or Charleston are probably on vacation from somewhere else. Ignore them; we do.

One thing you will need to watch out for is the topography. Build on high ground. We sometimes get a lot of rain and it sometimes doesn't move out fast.
Thanks for the information. My husband works as a heavy equipment operator. His company has a parent company that is world wide, including the Carolinas. He'd be able to get a job pretty much anywhere before we even moved through the parent company. I'm more of a jack of all trades kind of person. I have a ton of interests but soon get bored with what I'm doing. So, I'm a bit less employable. LOL.

I have dogs and Arabian horses. I'm in the air as to whether we should buy a house with a few acres or buy land and build. (We built the house we are living in now.)

I DO NOT want to be in the mountains. I don't want to be on the beach. So, I'm searching the Aiken, Lexington area.

We have a terribly high mortgage now and I'm looking to simplify and relax a bit. I found very inexpensive houses in the surrounding counties. I'm not fussy when it comes to my house. As long as it's clean I can pretty much make do with anything. (Even contemplated the whole tiny house living but I have dogs the size of small ponies.)

Where we live now is about 20 minutes to a largish grocery store, 45 minutes to a JC Penny, 1 hour to a Walmart. I even drive my son 15 minutes 1 way just to get to baseball practice. For us, being in a car for awhile is normal. I don't have to worry about public transportation or anything like that. I can happily be 30-40 minutes from a small city. I'd just like a few chain restaurants, maybe a few box stores. It'd be an improvement over what we have now. LOL.

The biggest thing is to find a place suitable for my dogs and horses; places to ride etc.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Interesting that Wyoming seems to be the epicenter of high school completion rates. The closer you live to Wyoming the most likely you'll complete high school.
Only Hawaii and Wyoming have the entire state with over 88% high school graduation rates.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input. It probably doesn't help that certain reality shows filmed in the south portray southerners as being hicks who go muddin', and use a toilet as a firepit. LOL.
I'm not into theater and fine art, Ive been known to shop at the dollar store occasionally, but I'd rather not hang with people who spit chewing tobacco on their floor either. Does that make sense?
Having said that, where should I stay away from in my house hunt?
You should consider not watching non reality television programs, not believing all of the sterotypes out there and understand that one does not have to be uneducated to spit chewing tobacco on their floor....

Old 05-26-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You should consider not watching non reality television programs, not believing all of the sterotypes out there and understand that one does not have to be uneducated to spit chewing tobacco on their floor....
I don't know any educated people that would spit chew on a floor.

Having said that, I don't believe it's necessary to have a higher education (college) in order to have good manners and be respectful.

After reading so many threads and posts on the VA, NC, and SC forums, I realize that the stereotype that goes with the south is no longer the "norm." I'm super excited about coming down and checking things out. I really appreciate everyone chiming in.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Interesting that Wyoming seems to be the epicenter of high school completion rates. The closer you live to Wyoming the most likely you'll complete high school.
Only Hawaii and Wyoming have the entire state with over 88% high school graduation rates.
That is interesting. I worked in Buffalo Wyoming at a dude ranch many years ago. Beautiful out there.

I really believe that if a person wants to learn they are going to learn. When I was in grade school we had chalk boards separating the classrooms. I went on to an excellent high school and graduated in 3 years with Honors. In my 30s I went to college for Criminal Justice. I had 3 kids, worked full time, and still got a 3.8 GPA. (I had the flu and ended up with a B+ in a class. )

Teach your kids strong ethics and values and they will do their best in the things they do, including school.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
What's a yankee "messenger?"
Someone that wants to make fun and/or belittles our culture behind the guise of "this is just what I've heard".

For the record, there are no hillbillies except possibly the very corner of SC. Hillbillies <> Rednecks. Hillbillies are very much Appalachian based, and while there can be similarities, they're typically two different cultures.

I'd also like to point out that there's nothing wrong with getting your truck or 4 wheeler a little muddy. It's simply fun. I wouldn't be quick to stereo type those that enjoy it. Every walk of life here can be part of a hunting club. I know a whole group of IT security guys that love to work on their club and play in the mud.

Bless your heart.. you're not from around here are ya?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFL2GT1-2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrEsZffie8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnaw1-1fTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNWt6Wd9gXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twmuOnKgEJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_kxgIpeUpo

Last edited by IsNull; 05-26-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina