Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:01 AM

413 posts, read 2,560,456 times

Advertisements

How bad are roaches down there?

I find them totally disgusting and am freaked out by them. I've never had them in Chicago but have heard they are in the South or perhaps just Florida.

Are there a lot in South Carolina? More in Charleston or the waterfront areas or more in Comubia and interior state?

If I move I want to find a roach free place. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 AM

413 posts, read 2,560,456 times
I guess people dont answer questions they dont want to or find offensive. Probably thinking like stupid Yankee of course knows the answer.

Well i know there are some but i wouldnt imagine its the same across the state. I appreciate a lot of the cultural and historic stuff here and the people. Please answer the question. Thank you.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
It's a matter of perspective. I'm in Greenville, SC and came here from Louisiana. From my perspective, there are no bugs here. My wife was a Yankee, and freaks out and sees them all the time. Go figure.

I think bug concious people will see them wherever they go.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 AM

41 posts, read 84,772 times
Default Roaches, reptiles, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
How bad are roaches down there?

I find them totally disgusting and am freaked out by them. I've never had them in Chicago but have heard they are in the South or perhaps just Florida.

Are there a lot in South Carolina? More in Charleston or the waterfront areas or more in Comubia and interior state?

If I move I want to find a roach free place. Thanks.
The roaches are 1 to 2 inches long and some of them fly. They are quick and sneaky with a love for dark, damp places (like your shoes). They are everywhere and you will never find a roach-free place in the south. There are also fire ants, lizards, and spiders and lots of snakes. I don't think you should move to the south because a roach will get in your bed and bite you.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:17 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
I've vacationed in North Myrtle Beach for 10 or more days, at the end of August every year from 1993 to 2001. I've only seen maybe a half-dozen roaches outdoors, and none indoors during my entire time down there. I was staying in a nicely kept hotel area. Any place that's been poorly maintained could be worse, but if your house is kept up I suspect you'll rarely see them, indoors or outdoors near your house.

I'm not afraid of bugs, so I wasn't too alert to watch, but I did often pay attention to seeing critters that don't live here. I didn't notice that many of any kinds of bugs anywhere, besides a few trees out in the woods near a rest station that was covered in ants.

As far as lizards go, they seem to be rare, but I noticed a few cute and harmless ones.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:46 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
Liz

Great answer. Thanks for the coffee spew.

Wall Street,

Even to a fellow Yankee, your second post sounded rude. The reason you didn't get any immediate replies may be that there are numerous threads on the bug and critter subject and people are tired of repeating themselves. This forum has a search function for that very purpose.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:11 AM

41 posts, read 84,772 times
Default Coffee spews

Shame on me for biting back at wallstreet. I really should have been above that kind of unattractive behavior. Jmarkey, you said it much better. Lesson learned. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Liz

Great answer. Thanks for the coffee spew.

Wall Street,

Even to a fellow Yankee, your second post sounded rude. The reason you didn't get any immediate replies may be that there are numerous threads on the bug and critter subject and people are tired of repeating themselves. This forum has a search function for that very purpose.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
On the contrary, I love a good early morning laugh.

Cold Canadian

Roaches are a fact of life in the south, having nothing to do with how clean or kept up your house is. The big guys sneak in from outside and the smaller ones live indoors. Your best bet is to find a good exterminator and contract for regular visits.

Our house in GA was always spotless, with food tucked away in plastic containers. Roaches nonethless.

Our place in TN is almost brand new, bright, white and so clean you could eat off the floors (or walls or ceilings if that's what you prefer). After seeing two roaches, I found a dandy exterminator. Maybe no more than two would show up, but I don't like them.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:06 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times
For some reason I've seen more Palmetto bugs this year then ever. Monster one's too. I just opened my fireplace to find a nice huge one laying on it's back. His feet aren't still kicking so that's good. I hate picking them up when they're still moving. Probably been there since last winter.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 AM

35 posts, read 254,910 times
Don't be fooled. There are cockroaches in Michigan, too. Funny thing, I'm allergic to them. How did I become allergic to them? Exposure to them! =]

The exterminator advice is handy for any homeowner. In our town, it's carpenter ants. We get the house sprayed twice a year.

I hate snakes. Ew. I'll just have to learn to live with them.

And, yes, I too loved Liz's response. For a minute there, I thought the moderator had to delete a rude post that happened before wallstreet's own reply! Took a minute to figure out that wallstreet was mad at not getting an instantaneous response. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina