Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,593 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving from NJ to Upstate SC in June or July 2017. I am looking somewhere between Greenville and Spartanburg. My husband will be working as a truck driver and me as a cashier to start and than I will be looking for a job in an office as an admin assistant. We have two kids 7 & 13. My son is a skater so I want to be somewhat close the the skatepark in Spartanburg. We want to rent a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house for a year before we buy a house. I want to say in the same town for renting and buying as I don't want to move the kids around again. My son also is into Boy Scouts and I want a good troop for him, close to where we will be living. So here are my questions:

Best family friendly town to rent and than buy
Safe neighborhood
Rent between $800-$1000
To buy a house $140,000 - $175,000
Good schools
Boy Scouts
Close to Skatepark
Close to Walmart
How is district 6 school?
Best school district in Spartanburg
Is there a skatepark anywhere else

I was wondering about Boiling Springs, Duncan, Lyman, Greer, Taylor's, Roebuck, Moore or any others close by. I really like what I see in Greenville but don't want to be so far from the skatepark as my kids is there all the time. Don't want to drive more than 15 minutes if possible.

Being from NJ and the hustle and bustle and I am definitely looking to get away from that yet don't want to be to far out in the country as I want the kids to still be close to everything and have friends. A place with parks, that is safe where kids ride their bikes and play outside. Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 09:39 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
It appears you are leaning toward Spartanburg County. My initial replies will be directed toward that area.

Boiling Springs, Duncan, and Lyman are growing communities and municipalities. I am seeing a lot of residential construction in Lyman.

Spartanburg County has seven school districts located geographically throughout the county:
Spartanburg County School District 1 (Chapman, Landrum)
Spartanburg County School District 2 (Boiling Springs, Chesnee)
Spartanburg County School District 3 (Broome)
Spartanburg County School District 4 (Woodruff)
Spartanburg County School District 5 (Byrnes)
Spartanburg County School District 6 (Dorman)
Spartanburg County School District 7 (Spartanburg)

I cannot say which school district in Spartanburg County is the best. The best school district should be the one where your children can excel and be active.

Spartanburg County school districts 2, 5, 6, and 7 are the largest in the number of students.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:50 PM

159 posts, read 125,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlaura View Post
Hello,

I will be moving from NJ to Upstate SC in June or July 2017. I am looking somewhere between Greenville and Spartanburg. My husband will be working as a truck driver and me as a cashier to start and than I will be looking for a job in an office as an admin assistant. We have two kids 7 & 13. My son is a skater so I want to be somewhat close the the skatepark in Spartanburg. We want to rent a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house for a year before we buy a house. I want to say in the same town for renting and buying as I don't want to move the kids around again. My son also is into Boy Scouts and I want a good troop for him, close to where we will be living. So here are my questions:

Best family friendly town to rent and than buy
Safe neighborhood
Rent between $800-$1000
To buy a house $140,000 - $175,000
Good schools
Boy Scouts
Close to Skatepark
Close to Walmart
How is district 6 school?
Best school district in Spartanburg
Is there a skatepark anywhere else

I was wondering about Boiling Springs, Duncan, Lyman, Greer, Taylor's, Roebuck, Moore or any others close by. I really like what I see in Greenville but don't want to be so far from the skatepark as my kids is there all the time. Don't want to drive more than 15 minutes if possible.

Being from NJ and the hustle and bustle and I am definitely looking to get away from that yet don't want to be to far out in the country as I want the kids to still be close to everything and have friends. A place with parks, that is safe where kids ride their bikes and play outside. Thanks for all your help.
I would lean towards Boiling Springs or Inman. Landrum is a nice area and good schools. Roebuck is not a great place. Moore is not bad. Greer.......NO.

have you looked at East Spartanburg/Converse Heights/Hillcrest?

Old 11-06-2016, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,593 times
Thank you. Carolina Knight i will check into those schools. Tiger 1995, I have seen on these pages people say good things about east Spartanburg. How is the crime in that area? I will be coming down in April to check out the area but want to have it borrowed down.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:29 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
I do not hear much about crime on the east side of Spartanburg. Low crime and/or less violent and serious crimes should be good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina