Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:51 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know if there is an Internet cafe in Dillon or a nearby town? Also, some really good restaurants--preferably not chains.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 07:00 PM

90 posts, read 381,260 times
Default Dillon??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Hi Everyone

Does anyone know if there is an Internet cafe in Dillon or a nearby town? Also, some really good restaurants--preferably not chains.

Thanks.
Hi SXMGirl,
I grew up in Dillon and there is NO good restaurants there. FAST food but not even any good chains restaurants. You would have to go to Florence (30miles) or maybe even to NC. Dillon is only 4-5 miles from the NC border. But you would need to go to Lumberton to fine good food. Now you could go to Myrtle Beach it is about 1 hr 15min away. Great food there.
Have you actually been to Dillon? There was nothing there when I was growing up and I was there this past summer to visit my cousin and aunt and it looks the same as when I lived there 25 years ago.
It has a Hospital and a Hardees. However KINGS Pizza is good. It is on the corner of Main and Hwy. 301. Hope this helps, if you are interested in anything else about Dillon just yell....

Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 AM

Hi GoingToPA,

I actually spent every summer in Dillon with my grandmother when I was growing up. My husband is also from Dillon. It has been a few years since I was there, and my husband doesn't know anything about the Internet, cafes, and doesn't want to know. Also, when he goes down there, he always eats meals with his sister.

I had read that Latta now has an excellent Bed and Breakfast and thought that more businesses might be coming into the area.
Dillon used to have one on E. Main Street in the old Bethea house, but I think that was sold years ago.

We are really on a fixed schedule as we go to Dillon next week. A relative is in the Pines nursing home and we will be doing family business. Won't have time to go to the beach or Florence for a decent meal.

Thanks, though, for reaffirming what I already thought.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Hi GoingToPA,

I actually spent every summer in Dillon with my grandmother when I was growing up. My husband is also from Dillon. It has been a few years since I was there, and my husband doesn't know anything about the Internet, cafes, and doesn't want to know. Also, when he goes down there, he always eats meals with his sister.

I had read that Latta now has an excellent Bed and Breakfast and thought that more businesses might be coming into the area.
Dillon used to have one on E. Main Street in the old Bethea house, but I think that was sold years ago.

We are really on a fixed schedule as we go to Dillon next week. A relative is in the Pines nursing home and we will be doing family business. Won't have time to go to the beach or Florence for a decent meal.

Thanks, though, for reaffirming what I already thought.
Good evening,
I hope that your trip will be a good one. I know that there are some wonderful people in Dillon. Hard working and pleasent. I still have some wonderful friends there and we keep in touch. One 30 min phone call catches me up on all the new for months. I do not have fond memories of my home town, which is very sad. Most folks love to go home.
I just was never in the loop....your husband will know what I mean.
I was not a Cheerleader, I didn't date a football quarterback, and my father did not own a business up town. But.......I did have a good life there and will never forget the days on the Little Pee Dee River.....Good Luck to you and your family

Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
Amazing to find on this forum others who grew up in Dillon. I also grew up there and graduated from DHS in the early 70's. I still visit my family there a couple of times a year although I have not lived there since I left for college in '74.

It hasn't changed much and unfortunately almost none of my high school friends settled there. There are just no jobs.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 AM

We are back from Dillon and here are a few reflections:

Driving is still very easy--no traffic. Since we were there for a critical family situation, we spent a lot of time on the road.

We did eat at King's Pizza and it was very good. There is also a fairly new restaurant called the Kintyre House and lunch with dessert and tip was about $30. It is located on Main Street.

People were very friendly. Many businesses had closed but there were several thriving businesses on Railroad Avenue. One was a frame shop with beautiful mirrors.

Cracker Barrel is thinking of opening at I-95 and Route 9. The main store is Walmart, and the fireworks business is thriving.

Didn't see an Internet cafe.

It was nice to visit--wouldn't want to live there. My husband was really glad to get back to Delaware.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 PM

Always glad to hear good news from Dillon. Happy that you enjoyed your trip and safely returned home.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 99,927 times
I live in Lake View, Dillon is the closest "large town" to us, there is a Japanese style restaurant called "Helmi's, it is off of Hwy 9, across the street from Shoney's Restaurant, behind the Athletic Wearhouse, they have free high speed internet and good, cheap food (sushi bar). There are also 2 Mexican Restaurants (Hwy 9)which are pretty good as well as several southern style buffet restaurants(Hwy 9 and Main street).

Old 01-02-2007, 06:58 AM

We did notice several sushi restaurants (not our favorite) and Mexican restaurants. Spending summers with my grandmother in Dillon, I never saw Hispanics. While there this time, we saw quite a few, so I imagine the restaurants are very good. We have excellent Mexican restaurants in Delaware for the same reason. The last time we ate at Shoney's for breakfast, it was not very good, so I tend to stay away from places like that. On our way down, we stopped at Ryan's in Lumberton and it was excellent.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 AM

Where in PA do you live now? And, have you ever really been to Dillon? It is very different living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina