Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 PM

676 posts, read 720,631 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a community where it is affordable, safe area, and activities. No condos. Townhouse or small houses. Budget 150,000 to 175,000. HOA ok. Especially if it includes lawn care.

What are the taxes like in SC. Do they have homestead like florida?

Closer to the coast would be nice. And best kept secrets you know about?

Any info would be appreciated. Upon reading your suggestions, I will check them out.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 11:13 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Take it from a SC native who has lived at the coast for 17 years - the best kept secret is do not live along the SC coast. Nobody will tell you that, but what was once a paradise is now an overpopulated, overdeveloped slab of concrete that stretches from the NC state line down to somewhere below Beaufort. Far more people, most of whom talk funny, than the area can sustain, wreaking uncontrollable long-term damage on the environment; developers who laugh at laws and zoning restrictions and get away with anything and everything they want to do; gridlock on roads with no room to expand, jammed with geriatric drivers who long ago lost all peripheral vision; an ongoing nightmare that never ends and only gets worse. If you have a home budget that includes some numbers followed by 6 zeros, you can still find some places behind gates that resemble what once made our coast special. Otherwise, don't bother. I cannot even begin to conceive what coastal living will be like 5-10 years from now.

There are many very nice small towns in the Greenville, SC area. They are beautiful, affordable and offer 4 distinct seasons, while still offering the same low taxes and relatively warm winters that seem to be so important to so many people. If you absolutely must have the coast, do what the smart folks do and drive down for a few days every now and then, or even better, stay a month during what is now laughingly called the "off" season.

SC has a homestead law, but I don't know if it is similar to FL - https://www.yorkcountygov.com/HomesteadExemptions

Old 05-13-2017, 02:36 PM

Thank you sooo much for your honesty. Florida, especially the south, has become the same. I love the tranquility of the poconos in Pennsylvania, but the snow is much more than I care to take. Florida is already like an oven. So I was thinking midway would be great. But I'll be sure to check more inland.

I will look into Greenville, but can you recommend any other areas so that I can compare? Thanks once again for your help.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
I just deleted most of my post, since I thought you were talking about a place to retire. My eyes are playing tricks on me. lol

Where in FL do you live? Although it's a very nice city, I was in Greenville one summer and it was hotter than SWFL in July. However, I assume July and August are the hottest months.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-13-2017 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Thank you sooo much for your honesty. Florida, especially the south, has become the same. I love the tranquility of the poconos in Pennsylvania, but the snow is much more than I care to take. Florida is already like an oven. So I was thinking midway would be great. But I'll be sure to check more inland.

I will look into Greenville, but can you recommend any other areas so that I can compare? Thanks once again for your help.
If you are looking for cooler than Florida, avoid the South Carolina low country. You may want to look toward the hills. We vacationed on Edisto Island in August one year and it was the hottest place I have ever been. Temperature was 105 and with the humidity the heat index was 115. I became dizzy and had to stay in air conditioning. The pool was like dish water with suds probably from sun screen. I would avoid anything south of Columbia.

There is a very nice senior citizen community in Lancaster County. http://www.suncitycharlotte.com/

I live just over the NC line near Sun City. Their website tells you it is 4 hours to the mountains but if you use 321 we can be in Blowing Rock, not Asheville, in about 3 hours. We can be in North Myrtle Beach in about the same length of time. There are numerous state parks in both North and South Carolina that you can visit and come home in a day.

https://www.ncparks.gov/

http://southcarolinaparks.com/

You may want to check on the town of Tega Cay. http://www.tegacaysc.org/SiteMap

Last edited by NCN; 05-13-2017 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I just deleted most of my post, since I thought you were talking about a place to retire. My eyes are playing tricks on me. lol

Where in FL do you live? Although it's a very nice city, I was in Greenville one summer and it was hotter than SWFL in July. However, I assume July and August are the hottest months.
Yes, sorry I didn't specify. I am looking for a place to retire. I'm in deerfield beach Florida for the winter and it is and has been already very hot. It's very hot there at least 8 months out of the year. I'm a snowbird. I am now in beautiful pocono mountains in Pennsylvania. I love it here this time of year BUT the winters and all the snow are definitely not for me.

Thus my thought about halfway down south. Besides SF is extremely crowded, terrible traffic, and the rudeness shocked me. I would love some southern hospitality.

I'm looking for one place to settle as the back and forth are really getting to be just too much.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:11 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Sun City Carolina Lakes - Sun City Carolina Lakes | Active-adult living near Charlotte

One reason is its proximity to Charlotte especially fr the airport.

An alternative would be Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton).

http://www.hiltonheadsuncity.com/

If a hard core golfer, Sun City Hilton Head owns the 3 golf courses on the property

Old 05-14-2017, 08:17 AM

Do they have houses there between 150,000 and 175,000?

Old 05-14-2017, 12:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Okay, then I guess I shouldn't have deleted the info about retirement. Click on SC on the map.

[url=http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retirement/T055-S001-state-by-state-guide-to-taxes-on-retirees/]State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees[/url]

Keep in mind that the price of a home or townhouse shouldn't be the only consideration. Look at the property taxes, cost of insurance and HOA fees in the different communities.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks just Nancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina