Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 4,819 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 years and currently looking for work no matter what it is. I'm a highschool graduate, have no criminal background, but have no experience. I like working with my hands alot (ex lawn mowing, raking, moving boxes etc.) and don't mind how long it takes to get the job done. I currently go to school, but don't start until next semester in October. Until that time comes I'm looking to earn extra money to help out at home. If anyone wants to contact me you can reply to this thread or shoot me an message to my inbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Have you done any skilled trades like carpentry, landscaping, or automobile servicing?

What area of study are you looking to major in college?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Jason, I appreciate your willingness to work but you need to approach this a bit differently.

Posting on a messageboard to complete strangers probably won't produce many answers. You haven't even said where in SC you live. It also seems a bit odd that your college classes would start in October. Perhaps you meant to say January?

I would suggest you look into temporary agencies in the largest city close to you. Many agencies are used for unskilled labor such as restocking grocery stores etc. The agencies are usually able to work around part-time schedules. With an agency, you can begin to build a work history and be confident that you'll receive the pay you worked for. Make sure you are neat and clean for interviews. Always show up a few minutes before the schedule time and work like a dog. You will move to better and better opportunities if you show you have inititive.

And, here's an aside -- remember manners really are important. Please, thank you, you're welcome, sir, maam. They go a long way in how people see you.

Best of luck.
Best of luck.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times
129 W. 81st Street

Is looking for Actors

Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Have you done any skilled trades like carpentry, landscaping, or automobile servicing?

What area of study are you looking to major in college?
Well since you mention it I'm interested in getting certified as a motorcycle mechanic. Unfortunately the only way I can get certified is going to a school like WyoTech or UTI.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Alexander View Post
Well since you mention it I'm interested in getting certified as a motorcycle mechanic. Unfortunately the only way I can get certified is going to a school like WyoTech or UTI.
Have you checked any South Carolina technical and community colleges that may offer a motorcycle repair program?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Have you checked any South Carolina technical and community colleges that may offer a motorcycle repair program?
Only technical college in my area only does auto mechanic certifications and truck driving. If that doesn't work out the I was planning on getting Microsoft certs as well as advanced manufacturing. Anything to build up a resume and show employers that I have other credentials besides only having a HS Diploma.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Only technical college in my area only does auto mechanic certifications and truck driving. If that doesn't work out the I was planning on getting Microsoft certs as well as advanced manufacturing. Anything to build up a resume and show employers that I have other credentials besides only having a HS Diploma.
Are there specific motorcycles you want to work on such as Harley Davidson, Kawasaki, BMW, Indian, etc.? I do not know if manufacturers have a training program to develop their own factory certified mechanics.

It may be a wise idea to check in with local motorcycle shops, explain your career goal to be a motorcycle mechanic, and how to go about doing that.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Are there specific motorcycles you want to work on such as Harley Davidson, Kawasaki, BMW, Indian, etc.? I do not know if manufacturers have a training program to develop their own factory certified mechanics.

It may be a wise idea to check in with local motorcycle shops, explain your career goal to be a motorcycle mechanic, and how to go about doing that.
I wanted to do this apprenticeship at this one shop, but the owner was telling me he couldn't do it cause business was moving slow.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I wanted to do this apprenticeship at this one shop, but the owner was telling me he couldn't do it cause business was moving slow.
Have you checked elsewhere about doing an apprenticeship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina