Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM

305 posts, read 723,790 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from a technical school learning how to use Photoshop and code websites with HTML. I'm ready to find work. I also have ceritifcations in Photoshop and Dreamweaver to show potential employers.

However, for months, I went through job ads, indeed, monster, and found nothing. All of them either require a bachelor's degree, or 5 years of experience. I found web design to be very easy to do, especially with HTML/CSS, and I did read when I was choosing a career that they usually don't require a degree.

Then I found job ads on Craigslist and most of them don't require degrees so I spent a few weeks looking at ads, I found one job opprotunity but missed it.

I'm a person who prefers to play it safe and not take risks. I've also considered freelancing as nothing more as a last resort. I've done a bit of research on Freelance design, and saw that I need to have experience in business, a lawyer, and starting a business cost a lot of money which I don't have. If I don't find work soon, I'll have to freelance.

Right now, I'm sick and tired of looking for jobs and finding nothing. I don't have time to go back to college when I have no money to fend for myself. I really don't want to have to flip burgers when I just got out of school. I'd like my education to actually mean something.

I had a plan, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I wanted to post an ad on Craigslist looking for work. I was going to state my skills, my certifications, my preferred area to work, and I let the employers decide on my salary.

I'd like to do it, but I'm not sure if it's a safe thing to do. I'm very frustrated right now, and I don't think I have a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Go to the library and find all businesses in your area or nationwide that might need your services. Then pretend your job is finding a job and do a 9-5 walk-in to businesses. Get your ego intact before you start this. Detach and do a scientific test to job finding. Action is always better than inaction.

I read this somewhere back in the seventies and this is how I found the best job I ever had and worked at for 28 years until I retired. I just want you to know to expect a rough ride but don't take it personally. You are on a mission to find work, not feed your ego. Consider each place you walk into as a victory in your self esteem to have gone where no one else has gone before. Good luck. I expect you to have a job when you least expect it. I did.

You might want to keep a record and write a book about your project of finding a job.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,058 times
since you're talking about craigslist take a look at the gigs section. theres usually some web design photoshop type stuff in there. Who cares if they don't pay a lot. you can build your portfolio that way to look better to a future employer.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Try looking for gigs on elance.com or odesk.com to get experience and build your portfolio in web design.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
I've tried posting on craigslist saying I was looking for work in the resumes section. I would say I will take any job, even manual labor or yard work. All I got was scam emails. Not one single real employer in my area emailed me.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I've tried posting on craigslist saying I was looking for work in the resumes section. I would say I will take any job, even manual labor or yard work. All I got was scam emails. Not one single real employer in my area emailed me.
I found Craigslist to be a waste of time for me too. It was all scams and no legit jobs. If I were the OP, I would look at Odesk or Elance. OP should look into taking any job to get some money coming in as well. He/she sounds desperate. Even McDonalds would be better than no job at all.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
For mcdonald's if you don't know someone, it's going to take alot of luck to get the manager to even notice your application.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
The OP can make websites for people or businesses, just post an ad on Craigslist. And have some sample websites that showcase your web design capability.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
For mcdonald's if you don't know someone, it's going to take alot of luck to get the manager to even notice your application.
Very true. It is tough to get hired there. My relative managed to get hired there and he had to pass a test on making a Big Mac or something like that. I am not kidding about that either. Maybe the OP should try temp agencies. I managed to get two temp jobs in this crappy economy. They weren't great jobs, but it did give me an income. I now have a stable, full time job with good bennies.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM

352 posts, read 416,222 times
Are there volunteering organisations or charities who could use your expertise. They may pay your travel expenses and provide you with lunch etc. That way you are using your experience and it will be good to have on a resume rather than doing what other unemployed people do. Be proactive and work for a few weeks even if it doesn't pay. Remember it isn't always just what you know but who you know. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment