Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:24 PM

25 posts, read 25,663 times

Advertisements

I'm confused. If you have never been to SC, why are you asking if it has gotten better? What are you comparing it to? 1865? 1945?

SC in general has been fully integrated for as long as I have been alive; and we actually make eye contact and say hello to anyone that seems nice. We don't decide if you "seem nice" based on your color, but mainly on behavior or facial expression, and sometimes even clothing. It's rare to pass another person on the street and not say hello or at least head nod.

I doubt your trips to SC will bring you any issues unless you would like to create an issue. I'm often amazed of the expectations of what people think we must be like......can I cry "culturalism" against southerners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
A retired SC State Police Officer (white) friend of mine claims the worst racism he saw in SC was in the Darlington County area.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:21 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
I notice the op hasn't returned. Hmm.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
When I hear the word racist, I assume the person saying it is racist and I move on.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM

89 posts, read 216,477 times
Ok maybe I have the wrong idea about the South In general and I apologize as being from the north I don't know much about it all I wanted to know has it changed that's all is that particular question to hard to answer?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:00 AM

370 posts, read 325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
Ok maybe I have the wrong idea about the South In general and I apologize as being from the north I don't know much about it all I wanted to know has it changed that's all is that particular question to hard to answer?
How about learning how to punctuate properly? Then learn proper sentence structure.

Finally, put aside your pre-conceived notions about the South. You have way too many of them.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't think Clemson has tried to whitewash its history at all.

They talk about Tillman on their website: Benjamin Ryan Tillman | Clemson University, South Carolina

There is no way a student at Clemson has not heard about Tillman at this point. It is unlikely that Tillman Hall would have been named after Tillman if he was not the politician that pushed for a separate agricultural college in SC. He also pushed for the first women's college, Winthrop, and there is also a Tillman Hall at Winthrop.

Every student entering college has already learned about slavery, segregation and racism in the past. If they take history classes in college, they are going to hear about it again.

I read recently that Clemson had some kind of mandatory online diversity training for professors and students, and I read that the university pays a 'chief diversity officer' 180K a year, and I belive they are advertising for another diversity role at a salary of 90K or so.

I don't know why you are limiting past racist history to the south. University of Oregon, Yale, and other colleges outside of the south have changed names of buildings in recent years. John C. Calhoun attended Yale and he was one of the most racist politicians in history.

I don't think that any of those places that you listed are stuck in an era of segregation, given there is no segregation in those places. Segregation is illegal. I don't think that is fair to those people to suggest they are racist.

I attended Clemson and I never saw any racism. I think students are focused on their classes and having a good time outside class. These are good students.
Wow.. kudos to Clemson for putting the history of Tillman out there and stating the facts as is(was) and on their website no less..

Its like they are saying " Tillman was a violent racist segregationist with violent tendencies, worked to marginalize, and entire race of individuals in SC .....and founded our school".... Click Here to Apply Now!!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 01:00 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wow.. kudos to Clemson for putting the history of Tillman out there and stating the facts as is(was) and on their website no less..

Its like they are saying " Tillman was a violent racist segregationist with violent tendencies, worked to marginalize, and entire race of individuals in SC .....and founded our school".... Click Here to Apply Now!!!!
How does the fact Tillman pushed for a separate agricultural college in the state have anything to do with Clemson today? .Tillman died in 1918 and he never worked at the university.

It isn't accurate to say he 'founded' the school. Thomas Clemson, an agricultural scientist, is the one who donated his estate for the college and it was set up based on his vision. An agricultural college probably still would have been created in the state if Clemson had not donated his estate, but it wouldn't have been in Clemson, and Clemson would still be the city of Calhoun.

Should students not go to UVA because Thomas Jefferson owned slaves? What about the colleges that George Washington supported? If I'm not mistaken, slave labor was used in the construction of UVA's Rotunda and historical campus.

I'm am pretty sure that I can discover at least one racist affiliated with most universities in the past if they aren't relatively new universities. One example is UofSC has a dorm named after Wade Hampton. As I previously pointed out, universities outside of the south to include Yale and the Uni of Oregon have changed the name of buildings named after racists.

Should people not move to SC because Tillman was once the governor?

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-09-2017 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 02:21 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
You knew exactly what the response was gonna be when you asked. Not sure why this thread even made it to two pages.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
The fact is that racism is alive and well here in the south. However, you are going to get a lot of white people that tell you that racism died out a long time ago and everything is hunky-dory these days. The truth is that most white people are about the last ones you want to ask about racism.

Here in Florence SC, there is a bar with a sign in the door that reads "members only". Despite being right in the middle of town in a mixed area, there are no black people in this bar. When I was told about the existence of this place, I was told (by another white person) not to worry about the sign and just walk right in. Now ask yourself... what do you think that sign means down here?

Yes most people are exceptionally nice down here, especially compared to the northeast. There is definitely such a thing as southern hospitality, but you will absolutely run into racists here and elsewhere in the south. As a white person, I get to hear the things that white people say when black people aren't around, and I assure you that sometimes some very different conversations take place.

It's not unique to SC. Check out a place called Wildman's Civil War Surplus in Kennesaw, GA on Google. There is a sign over the front door, visible from Google street maps, that says, "White History Year". I've traveled and lived all over the US (I currently live in SC) and this kind of crap only exists here.

Sorry southerners, but ya'll are racist af.

Remember that racism is taught. We are not born to hate. And kids are taught a lot of their values from their parents, who were taught by their parents, etc. all the way back to when black people were property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina