Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 10:58 AM

3,221 posts, read 2,447,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Dick Harpootlian recently brought forth an amendment to add tolls to I-95 in order to pay for the bridges and widening. Apparently, 65% to 75% of the drivers on this road aren't from South Carolina, so those who use it will be paying for it. What do y'all think?

https://www.wltx.com/article/travel/...8-e3375bc44014
They need Federal approval for this first. It doesn't matter who is using the road, this is an interstate road that gets Federal funds so anything like this would need Federal approval. Not easy to do. North Carolina dropped their plan for tolls a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 11:02 AM

3,221 posts, read 2,447,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
My understanding is that the state has to get permission from the feds to do it for an existing interstate. What exactly that entails I'm not sure. Both VA and GA have taken existing HOV lanes and converted them to HOT lanes. Not exactly the same thing but it does give some idea that its possible.

I am pretty sure NC has explored tolling 95 as well because like SC its mostly used by out of state residents as well.
HOV/HOT lanes are allowed to charge tolls so long as non toll lanes aren't reduced. This is politicians talking out of their mouths before they know the rules.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:40 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,281,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
They need Federal approval for this first. It doesn't matter who is using the road, this is an interstate road that gets Federal funds so anything like this would need Federal approval. Not easy to do. North Carolina dropped their plan for tolls a few years back.
True. I think his reasoning of SC drivers not using the road as much as northerners is his impetus to push forward this bill by local lawmakers; not an end all argument that will surely secure it’s passage and it’s funding.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,971,681 times
They could just raise gas taxes along I-95 only and use it strictly for I-95 improvements.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,971,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
The SC stretch of 95 is terrible. It causes so many delays when I travel on it. I think you as a state need to find a way to widen it. Really inconveniences everyone, including residents of SC.
Nobody from Orlando has the right to complain about anybody else’s roads.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:59 AM

1,124 posts, read 931,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Truth, that mess will last about another 30 years at which point they’ll have to start right back over again.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:18 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,958,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Not sure I follow. We are in the process of widening I-4 right now. Also I-95 in Fl is at least 3 lanes wide unlike SC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Truth, that mess will last about another 30 years at which point they’ll have to start right back over again.
What mess?

Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 931,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Not sure I follow. We are in the process of widening I-4 right now. Also I-95 in Fl is at least 3 lanes wide unlike SC.

What mess?
Literally just drove 4 thru Orlando a week ago and they’re completely redoing the entire stretch of it thru the area. Felt like a good 15-20 miles. And they’ve gotta be doing a lot more than widening it. Looks like they’re adding another whole interstate, elevated ramps and all.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,617,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Dick Harpootlian recently brought forth an amendment to add tolls to I-95 in order to pay for the bridges and widening. Apparently, 65% to 75% of the drivers on this road aren't from South Carolina, so those who use it will be paying for it. What do y'all think?

https://www.wltx.com/article/travel/...8-e3375bc44014
About effing time - I've driven I-95 in SC ONCE - drove to Jacksonville last year from Greenville - I-95 in SC was a nightmare and traffic south was STOPPED (no accidents) on a Saturday - the SC portion of I-95 is in complete disrepair and an embarrassment - crossing into GA on I-95 South was like time traveling into the 21st century

Old 04-30-2019, 04:40 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,367,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Literally just drove 4 thru Orlando a week ago and they’re completely redoing the entire stretch of it thru the area. Felt like a good 15-20 miles. And they’ve gotta be doing a lot more than widening it. Looks like they’re adding another whole interstate, elevated ramps and all.
Well you are right, it is indeed 21 miles of construction on I-4 through there. They are adding 2 lanes of express lanes in each direction to the center of I-4 with dynamic toll pricing in addition to rebuilding the general use and auxiliary lanes and redoing most of the exits.

Having just done a weekend road trip from Columbia to Eastern NC and back, that 10 mile stretch of I-95 from I-20 (Exit 160) to SC-327 (Exit 140) that's 6 lanes is quite nice and I realize the reason they widen that section was to help with the increased traffic going from I-20 to MB, bypassing Florence. Like most state road projects, it comes down to priorities and money. I wish there was an extra $15-20 Billion just laying around that they can use to widen I-95. Even with the increase in the gas sales tax, the funding pot is still limited.

I assume when they decide to start widening I-95, they will probably do it in sections of 5-10 miles, maybe 15 miles, at a time. If they decide not to do the I-73 project they could use that potential money to widen I-95.

Last edited by cjseliga; 04-30-2019 at 05:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina