Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 17,083 times

Advertisements

My family and I plan to move to sc within the next couple years. I live in western ny now.
I am a nurse and would like information on housing and schools. I have a 12 and 4 year old
Where is it affordable? Close to hospitals?
I won't mind a longer commute.
Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM

90 posts, read 443,109 times
The Upstate is growing and a fine place to live. Housing is affordable and property taxes are lower than in larger cities. Greenville Hospital System is now a teaching hospital and will draw new jobs and people to the area. They have just added on to the hospital downtown and have new campuses going up on the Eastside. St. Francis is in competition with GHS and they are also a great place to work. I know nurses who work for both hospital systems and they love what they do, make great money and have good benefits. You can Google each hospital and read what they have to offer.

The best thing about Greenville is that you can live in surrounding areas and be in town within 15-25 min. Depending on where you're driving from. You can enjoy 'country' living and go into the city for dinner or to work or to shop, etc.

You'll just have to research school districts. We were attracted to Anderson Co. because of their "No child left behind" act. We are in the Wren School District and it is considered the 'best of the best' in the county. That is Anderson Co District #1. Some districts are better than others. Some schools are very poor in their yearly ratings. All of their ratings are on public record, so be sure and do the research before you decide on one. The state is very low on an educational level- period. We are slowly improving, but it has taken some time.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 17,083 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I hope to move to sc in about 3 years. I want to know about good schools. I heard that the public schools aren't really up to standard. What are the exceptions? I have a 4 and a 12 year old. They are currently attending private schools.
I'd also like to be close (within 100 miles) to the ocean. Any other information you can give me would be beneficial. Thank you so much
Amanda

Old 12-29-2006, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 8,538 times
I plan to retire mid next year and was hoping to relocate to South Caroline to play golf, ride my motorcycle and maybe a little boating and fishing. Where would be the best place to purchase a home close to these things? I would like a small amount of land with home. I hope the wheather will be good for all these things. How about it - Is this the right place to be when retired?

Old 12-29-2006, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 29,106 times
I would have to say Beaufort is not the place to be.I have a 12,10 and 4yr.
The schools are better in Detroit where I grew up.We moved here in March 06 to help my husbands uncle.Now that he has passed we are out of here.It is a very beautiful place but the schools are the worst.Locals call the high school Assult and Battery High.My 4yr. olds teacher tells the children to hit each other back when a child comes to tell the teach the child has hit them. I took my daughter out of school after I heard the teacher say that.People are rude thinking they are better then everyone else.Customer service is poor as well.I have had cashiers on the cell get upset at me for interrupting.Houses are so over priced.Half a million for a 2 bed room house in hole next to a swamp.It has not all been bad Hunting Beach is beautiful.Crabbing is a hoot.Fishing is wonderful.I feel it is a good place to visit just not live. I have had problems in other areas around Beaufort as well.I live in the Mossy Oaks area and keep hearing that it is one of the best neighborhoods to live. We have had beer bottles and cans thrown at our house and truck every couple weeks.We had the back window of our truck shot out by a bb gun.When the police came out to make a report he laughed and said that they can't do anything about it.Then told us to go to his friend to get it replaced for cheep(couple thousand).We found out that insurance covers 100% for windshields and rear windows in SC.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 44,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFli View Post
The schools are better in Detroit where I grew up.We moved here in March 06 to help my husbands uncle.Now that he has passed we are out of here.It is a very beautiful place but the schools are the worst.Locals call the high school Assult and Battery High.My 4yr. olds teacher tells the children to hit each other back when a child comes to tell the teach the child has hit them. I took my daughter out of school after I heard the teacher say that.People are rude thinking they are better then everyone else.Customer service is poor as well.I have had cashiers on the cell get upset at me for interrupting.Houses are so over priced.Half a million for a 2 bed room house in hole next to a swamp.It has not all been bad Hunting Beach is beautiful.Crabbing is a hoot.Fishing is wonderful.I feel it is a good place to visit just not live. I have had problems in other areas around Beaufort as well.I live in the Mossy Oaks area and keep hearing that it is one of the best neighborhoods to live. We have had beer bottles and cans thrown at our house and truck every couple weeks.We had the back window of our truck shot out by a bb gun.When the police came out to make a report he laughed and said that they can't do anything about it.Then told us to go to his friend to get it replaced for cheep(couple thousand).We found out that insurance covers 100% for windshields and rear windows in SC.

What in the world did you do to get such bad karma? You must've ticked someone off pretty bad for them to continuously throw beer bottles at your house (maybe you said something bad about the Marines or the military in general, people around here do get pretty rabid about the armed services.). Was your house singled out or did other houses have the same issues? Mossy Oaks isn't a bad neighborhood, but it isn't the best in town. Most people in this town are very friendly though, not sure who you spoke with to get the impression that everyone here is rude. Maybe it's your perception of them rather than reality? If you don't like the marshes and wetlands, then this place is definitely not for you, but alot of people move here because of the marshes. I still refuse to believe your claim that the schools here are worse than an inner city school district. I've asked a couple of people today if they've ever heard Battery Creek called "Assault and Battery High", and they all chuckled but told me it was new to them. Since you live in Mossy Oaks, you shouldn't be too concerned with Battery Creek anyway, your kids would go to Mossy Oaks (a wonderful elementary school), Beaufort Middle (heard good things about that school too) and Beaufort High. I do have to agree with you about Beaufort City Police, every time I've had an issue with law enforcement in this town it's been with city cops.

Beaufort does have it's faults, mainly a severe lack of real industry and an overall fear of growth and change, but the vast majority of people who live here do so because they enjoy the safety, slow pace, and friendliness of small town life.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,987 times
I have to say-moondoggy95-keep telling it like it is---did you not see the "Detroit" may be better--when it comes down to it-every town has the good, bad & ugly-just don't be the ugly-I think it must be hard on people who haven't experienced the true southern heritage to appreciate it-my husband is a true blooded new yorker-I am a proud southerner-we (I) hope to move back there soon-but I know he will never get it either-& it's such a shame-but on the + side-maybe he will feel out of place as I have up here in Rochester-but he won't-we all will still embrace his shortcomings and teach that bot to relax & enjoy his life-even if I have to smother him in honey!!!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFli View Post
And you think that Detroit is better????!!!! Where have you been? Have you not been keeping up with all that has been going on in Detroit the last couple of years -- beginning with a mayor and chief of staff who are now felons? And the city council being under federal investigation? And the Detroit Public School system also being corrupt and under conspiracy charges?

If you think Detroit is better, then perhaps you SHOULD go back there where unemployment is over 12% and leave the rest of us former Yankees to enjoy and acclimate to our new home state.

And by the way, Michigan (Detroit area) will ALWAYS be "home" to me, having spent most of my 62 years there. But "better"? Not by a long shot.

GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are the best that Detroit has to offer at this point in time.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:37 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
I apologize to the good people of this forum for my rant against Dragonfli -- I just noticed that post appeared almost 3 years ago. But my feelings and opinions have not changed. Life is DEFINITELY better since we've relocated to the Palmetto State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina