Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 03:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,427,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
What several programs Mr. Probably?

I never once said Clemson was limited. Don’t put words in my mouth.

Dude you’re just off. On a lot. I think you belong in them hills up thar...
You said Clemson had specific programs. What does that mean?

I think the truth is you and other SC grads and fans can't be objective about this topic

I've never said anything bad about UofSC.

I never proclaimed Clemson the flagship. I said the state doesn't have one bc there isn't a statewide public university system like in other states.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:29 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,281,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I can’t believe y’all are following this guy up again with his bait.

Y’all are debating with the guy that has said Greenville is on par with New York and better.
Believes that per capita stats are not a good way showing the amount of crime in the likelihood of it happening to you.
And tells everyone they should move to Grenville because it has an ever improving Main Street, a small waterfall park in downtown and has mountains in a short drive.
Has said Greenville is on par, more to do, or better than Charlotte and Atlanta.
And now is debating what a flagship university means to most people (which is usually the namesake university of the state).
Yeah, I had to find out for myself.

ClemVegas, you should make a thread debating that the earth is flat.

Or...

Did we land on the moon?

Do you believe “the greys” are amongst us?

What about Chem trails?

Old 09-19-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Yeah, I had to find out for myself.

ClemVegas, you should make a thread debating that the earth is flat.

Or...

Did we land on the moon?

Do you believe “the greys” are amongst us?

What about Chem trails?
I could recommend you do the same. That's cheap rhetoric anybody can use.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:35 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,281,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I could recommend you do the same. That's cheap rhetoric anybody can use.
Or just make another thread on “Flagship university in S.C.”

Lol

Old 09-19-2019, 03:44 PM

You could make a post asserting SC is the flagship even though it has no control over the non UofSC publics in the state and it is no more prominent than Clemson.

Flagship has a meaning

Old 09-19-2019, 03:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,217,347 times
Slow down guys, let grab some popcorn and a couple of beers.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
But no music majors...
Clemson does have music majors.

https://www.clemson.edu/caah/departm...ics/index.html

Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
As everyone else has correctly pointed out, the "Flagship" university of a state is generally accepted to be the oldest and the "University of XXXX". It isn't the slight against clemson that you seem to believe it to be. Much like most folks would say that although University of Georgia is the flagship public university in GA, that doesn't mean that Georgia Institute of Technology is not an exceptional school in its own right.

To correct your mistakes above: UofSC never had an ag college. UofSC might have had an ag department established, if not for the opposition of Governor Benjamin Tillman, the true founding father of Clemson. Tillman opposed using land-grant funds under the Morrill Act to create an agricultural department at UofSC, instead favoring the establishment of a separate land-grant college focusing on agricultural education and the practical sciences.

Likely due to Tillman's outspoken advocacy for Agricultural education, Thomas Green Clemson shared with Tillman his plans for willing his estate to the state of South Carolina for the purpose of establishing an agricultural college. After Clemson’s death, Tillman helped lead the political fight to have the state accept Clemson’s bequest, and he was appointed by Clemson as one of the original seven successor trustees of Clemson Agricultural College.
Tillman wanted the ag college moved to another college because he thought UofSC used the Morrill money for the liberal arts programs. He wanted an agricultural university modeled after Michigan State.

The UofSC website indicates the university re-opened as a agricultural college after the end of Reconstruction. https://www.sc.edu/about/our_history/

Tillman was born in 1847.

Thomas Clemson was involved in getting the Morrill land grant act passed when he worked in Washington DC. He helped set up the University of Maryland, a land grant university.

Thomas Clemson is on record advocating for a public university in SC to provide practical education in agriculture and the sciences in the 1860s soon after the Civil War ended. Tillman was not even 20 years old at this time.

https://www.clemson.edu/about/histor...g-clemson.html

Clemson might not have been created without Tillman's help but it is hard to believe Thomas Clemson would have a difficult time persuading a different governor to get on board in a big agricultural state like SC back then. I don't think UofSC loses the ag college if Thomas Clemson had not moved to the state. Being John Calhoun's son in law didn't hurt.

Thomas Clemson's will set up the university: https://www.clemson.edu/about/history/tgc-will.html

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-19-2019 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 PM

1,124 posts, read 931,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
No, it has a general performing arts degree, with concentrations. No major. They’re two different things, majors and concentrations. For example. I could have a degree in Secondary Education with a concentration on History. Which USC has.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:47 PM

That sounds like a distinction without a difference.

I can't see employers caring if a university calls it a major or a concentration.

The Clemson program appears to require a lot of music courses:

https://www.clemson.edu/caah/departm...ulum%20Map.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina