Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,467 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been researching areas for a vacation home and eventual retirement in a few years. We have often vacationed on Hilton Head Island, but we're thinking that the congestion, traffic, etc during vacation months make it less attractive for a full-time home. We're now looking in the Beaufort area. We love the town of Beaufort, and have started looking at planned communities such as Habersham and Coosaw Point. We think we would prefer a community with Golf, Tennis and other facilities so we're also considering Callawassie and Dataw Island. I'm interested to hear from residents of Golf communities if they are happy with the choice they made, and what to look for in choosing the right fit. Also, I'm aware that there has been a trend of lower home prices in communities such as these, and the potential difficulty in selling the home if/when the time comes. I'd like to hear if that was a concern when you bought, and if you feel it would keep you from buying now.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:12 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
We ended up buying in a community on Hilton Head with the exact same idea - vacation home and eventual retirement.

I have stayed at both Callawassie and Dataw, they both have a discovery package of sorts where you can try them out for a few days.
My husband really liked Callawassie, he would have bought there right away, if I'd let him! I know he played both courses and we had meals at both clubhouses, both of which were very nice. At Dataw, we stayed in sort of a 2 bedroom cottage, but a broker takes you around to look at available properties for sale. At Callawassie, we stayed in a house that actually was for sale, plus you'll see others with a broker.

One of the things I didn't like about Dataw Island is that we were told that everyone was really old and that people bought houses there when they were in their late 50's and now it's almost 30 years later and they've got to sell them. I don't know if this is true, but I noticed nobody was outside walking or even outside their house at all. As the broker said "This place really needs new blood".

Truthfully, I thought both of these communities were a little too far from grocery stores and other stores that I shop at almost daily. I was pretty sure I'd feel isolated.

There was some sort of lawsuit that homeowners won regarding mandatory golf membership at Callawassie. You might want to google that because as I understood it, it wasn't necessarily enforceable. There seem to be some good buys on houses there.

Habersham doesn't have a golf course, correct? The homes look very nice.

There are so many communities in that whole area, from Beaufort to Hilton Head, it's almost overwhelming. You have so much to explore there.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,467 times
Thank you CaseyB. I tried responding earlier but I guess it didn't post.
You're right about Dataw; we got the feeling that it had a lot of older residents. Apparently Callawassie is a bit younger, but only by a couple years on average. Habersham does not have golf or tennis. They have a community pool, and a fitness center just outside the community that one can join. But, we are really hoping to be in a place that has golf, tennis, etc.

How did you decide on the community in Hilton Head? We've stayed mostly in Sea Pines and N. Forest Beach
on vacations, but haven't visited in the off season. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about the different communities on HHI.

Thanks,

Old 12-27-2019, 04:04 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
DJC

Have you considered Sun City Hilton Head (not actually on HHI)?

Old 12-27-2019, 04:05 PM

We've stayed in Sea Pines and Shipyard before. Last March, when we decided to look around and make a serious attempt at buying something, we rented for a month in Hilton Head Plantation. That's the biggest development on the island, located in the north end. They have 4 golf courses, 3 of which are open to the public, fitness center. I know they have tennis because the house we rented was very close to the tennis courts and the clubhouse. They have a nice pool which unfortunately wasn't open when we were there. HOA fees are very reasonable and I believe the golf membership to the private course is optional.

Indigo Run I have only driven into there on my way to the Publix Market. The houses look well maintained. 2 golf courses, I think and one is open to the public. That is close to Hilton Head Plantation on the other side 278.

Down by the hospital and the airport is Palmetto Hall. We looked at a couple of houses there but it is so close to the airport you can really hear the jets overhead. That's going to bother some people, I could get used to it as long as it didn't shake the house. We could also see and hear some of them at Hilton Head Plantation. Palmetto Hall has a very reasonable golf membership which is also optional. I don't know if they have a pool or tennis. They have 2 courses one of which is open to the public, but I think they rotate which one.

Down in the southern part of the island, you have Long Cove, Wexford, Shipyard, Sea Pines. Long Cove and Wexford are right next to each other and they both have marinas on Broad Creek. Both of them are totally private. We bought in Long Cove, mainly because it is the best golf course in the whole area and once my husband played that course, it was love at first sight.
HOA fees aren't cheap, but some of the others are worse. If you want more information on Long Cove, I can provide it.
I've never been into Wexford, but I know the HOA fees are a lot more expensive. I think they may also have some townhouses there. There's also Leamington which I drive by on my way to shop at Shelter Cove. That's a development and they have a golf course that is public. I have no other information on that.

I can give you the rundown on several of the communities in Bluffton, too, having visited many of those. I would probably do it in another post, just ask.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-27-2019 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-27-2019, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
Thanks again. John, I've looked at some of the information online about Sun City, but I don't think its for us. Maybe we're put off by the fact that we've had older relatives in Sun City communities (which they loved) but they were much older at the time they moved there (late 60's and 70's). We are in our early/mid 50's.

CaseyB, Long Cove is one of the communities that I've been thinking about. That and Sea Pines (with SP Country Club membership). I've also read some about Leamington, and have played the Arthur Hills course. Housing on HHI are quite a bit higher than the Beaufort area, but that's not a major concern if the community feels right to us.

Did you do anything to get to know what the members were like at communities or were you confident you would make friends regardless? I know some communities offer Discovery Visits. Did you do that, or just go with your gut?

Old 12-28-2019, 06:51 AM

No, we didn't do any Discovery visits on Hilton Head. Just renting in Hilton Head Plantation, Sea Pines & Shipyard. My husband has a good friend who moved to the Wilmington, NC area and he knew someone at Long Cove who got him into a group at Long Cove to play with. He also knew a fellow attorney who was selling his house there so we sent my daughter (who works on Hilton Head) in to see it with our brokers. I didn't like that house, mostly because of the floor plan. Later I saw another house for sale on their website, and sent our brokers + daughter in and she liked it much better. We made an offer and now we own it. It's not a small home (over 3,000 sq. ft.) but a lot more modest in comparison to the other houses on the street. The people there seem very friendly, a lot of them are from the midwest. The staff is wonderful, from the gate house to the servers at the clubhouse. A lot of the socializing and parties seem to be at the marina. The membership includes a boat slip and anytime you want to take out a kayak, you call down to the gate and they will bring you paddles and life jackets.

Like you, we didn't want a 55+ community. I don't think any of them on Hilton Head are restricted. There are a couple in Bluffton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina