Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 04:49 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times

Advertisements

The topic is about the coronavirus. The virus originated in China and the travel ban was part of the response to it. Italy blocked people from leaving and entering their country pretty early on and it still has the 2nd most deaths.

If people are complaining about the response then it seems okay for me to point out the travel ban was a big deal in saving lives. There were people saying it was racist to have a travel ban a few weeks ago.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-19-2020 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 05:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
There were people saying it was racist to have a travel ban a few weeks ago.
The topic was the OP trying to assure people that SC should be okay since South Carolina is built different than Italy and is not as dense. Whether a travel ban in China is racist or not has nothing to do with what he was talking about.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The topic was the OP trying to assure people that SC should be okay since South Carolina is built different than Italy and is not as dense. Whether a travel ban in China is racist or not has nothing to do with what he was talking about.
Why don't you post your thoughts without commenting on mine. I understand your motivation. If the OP doesn't like my comments, then he or she can let me know. You don't need to speak for the OP. My comments were not in response to anything you said. You don't have to make this contentious.

Italy has a travel ban. If you are gonna compare SC and Italy regarding this virus, I don't understand how you can leave out the travel ban. You have to control for the travel ban.

The US has more people but less deaths than Italy so far. That's pretty surprising given US residents travel as much as Italians.

Population density is obviously a big factor given most of the rural areas in SC don't have a single case so far. Fortunately Camden is not a dense area.

Pointing out the travel ban was a big deal in saving lives was supposed to be reassuring because this could be a whole lot worse and we would have to isolate ourselves much longer with more damage to the economy. Just 1 additional person from overseas could have infected hundreds of people. I don't think this virus was going to travel over the ocean thousands of miles without human hosts.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-19-2020 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 03:37 PM

I saw an article somewhere that said part of the reason Italy has been hit so bad is the old and the young tend to interact more there than many countries and a higher percentage of old people got the virus in Italy compared to other countries like South Korea.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 PM

Dr. Giorgio Palù, the former president of the European and Italian Society for Virology and a professor of virology and microbiology of the University of Padova

'He says the Italian government lagged at first. It was "lazy in the beginning... too much politics in Italy."
"There was a proposal to isolate people coming from the epicenter, coming from China," he said. "Then it became seen as racist, but they were people coming from the outbreak." That, he said, led to the current devastating situation'

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/18/e...lockdown-intl/

Old 03-23-2020, 07:57 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times
What do any of these recent posts have to do with the geography of Italy vs. SC?

Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 AM

How specifically are the recent posts unrelated to SC and Italy given they focused on travel ban and response to virus

The last post was an article about Italy and it quoted an Italian microbiologist. did you not notice that.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,732 times
This was certainly not meant to underestimate the seriousness of the situation and as we have seen over this past week, it is getting much worse fast. I for one have not been out anywhere as opposed to the grocery store in the last two and a half weeks due to this so this absolutely should not be downplayed however, when we look at Italy and the severity level there, geography and population density suggests that at least in South Carolina, we should not see the same thing occurring.

Think about this, I live in Greenville. I can easily keep a social distance of 6 ft or more from my neighbors as we have about 6 townhouses on our street with a total of about 10 people. In Rome, that same space has 50 people. The ability of Italians to keep a social distance from others is much more difficult thus meaning a much faster infection rate.

This is clearly seen in the US as well as we look at NY having over half of all US cases and NYC accounting for 5% of the global cases.

I agree though that while our spread may be much slower and perhaps more minimal compared to other places, the fact that four of our airports as well as Charlotte Douglas and Savannah just across the border all have multiple arrivals per day from NYC Airports still operating creates a big problem.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
This was certainly not meant to underestimate the seriousness of the situation and as we have seen over this past week, it is getting much worse fast. I for one have not been out anywhere as opposed to the grocery store in the last two and a half weeks due to this so this absolutely should not be downplayed however, when we look at Italy and the severity level there, geography and population density suggests that at least in South Carolina, we should not see the same thing occurring.

Think about this, I live in Greenville. I can easily keep a social distance of 6 ft or more from my neighbors as we have about 6 townhouses on our street with a total of about 10 people. In Rome, that same space has 50 people. The ability of Italians to keep a social distance from others is much more difficult thus meaning a much faster infection rate.

This is clearly seen in the US as well as we look at NY having over half of all US cases and NYC accounting for 5% of the global cases.

I agree though that while our spread may be much slower and perhaps more minimal compared to other places, the fact that four of our airports as well as Charlotte Douglas and Savannah just across the border all have multiple arrivals per day from NYC Airports still operating creates a big problem.
I personally dont think you were underestimating the seriousness. I was just saying the circumstances are more complex than just geography. The same way outbreaks have been happening at nursing homes, one could happen at BMW or Clemson U or Haywood Mall or Bilo Center or Fall For Greenville, etc. Density is not just how close you live to someone else. Everyone panic shopping and cramming into Publix and Walmart can be density. That's the point I was making.

You're right, density is clearly hurting NYC, but NYC has also been testing like crazy. Louisiana is less populous and less dense than South Carolina, New York City, and Italy, and yet they have the likely highest coronavirus growth rate in the world. Mardi Gras may be the cause.

So that's the point I was making. It's more than residential and transit density (no one in NY is riding the subway anyway), which is why SC cant just assume everyone is safe since everyone doesn't live on top of each other. But you are right, density is still clearly playing a part. Being afraid of New Yorkers coming in from the airports is pointless.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:39 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I personally dont think you were underestimating the seriousness. I was just saying the circumstances are more complex than just geography. The same way outbreaks have been happening at nursing homes, one could happen at BMW or Clemson U or Haywood Mall or Bilo Center or Fall For Greenville, etc. Density is not just how close you live to someone else. Everyone panic shopping and cramming into Publix and Walmart can be density. That's the point I was making.

You're right, density is clearly hurting NYC, but NYC has also been testing like crazy. Louisiana is less populous and less dense than South Carolina, New York City, and Italy, and yet they have the likely highest coronavirus growth rate in the world. Mardi Gras may be the cause.

So that's the point I was making. It's more than residential and transit density (no one in NY is riding the subway anyway), which is why SC cant just assume everyone is safe since everyone doesn't live on top of each other. But you are right, density is still clearly playing a part. Being afraid of New Yorkers coming in from the airports is pointless.
You're 100% correct about the amount of people cramming into Publix, Costco, etc. I have been avoiding those as much as possible doing it online.

I would disagree that it's pointless to screen passengers on in-bound flights from New York. Clearly, there is a much greater exposure up there than there is here at the moment. Stopping those who have had a high exposure to it from coming into our state primarily via plane or at least conducting screenings of those passengers before they can enter the state would be beneficial.

I would be okay if they did that with all in-bound flights to SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina