Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:36 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times

Advertisements

We own a two bedroom ocean view condo on the ninth floor a high rise in Myrtle Beach in a quiet, partially residential neighborhood a couple of miles from the Strip. If you are looking at future retirement or don't like a spring break kind of atmosphere then you want to be away from the Strip on S. Ocean Boulevard, trust me.

Right now we are looking to move on to something in a quieter, more natural place like Hilton Head, Kiawah, or Pawley's/Litchfield. We are really tired of the high rise/beach store on every corner vibe of Myrtle Beach, even though our condo overlooks a quiet residential neighborhood so at least we have a wide open view.

What we are finding is that if we don't go into the mid-$300,000s with our budget (our place is valued around $200,000 right now), we will end up with a tiny one bedroom in either a congested, lower end location, like the Forest Beach area of Hilton Head (not bad, but not Shipyard or Palmetto Dunes either) that has a view of a parking lot or trees. We will probably go with something in Pawley's/Litchfield as we are not interested in joining a private club, which the ads for properties in Kiawah and Seabrook all mention. It sounds like it is a requirement and it just isn't for us.

We could never trade even up and get what we have in MB in any of those places, no way, there is a big trade off. However, the rental market in MB is probably the best, just because of the sheer volume of people who visit there every year. Our unit stays rented most of the year except for a few weeks in November around Thanksgiving or when we are down there using it ourselves. We have a snowbird Canadian couple who return faithfully every year. Winter in MB must feel pretty balmy to them!

I think MB should probably be your first stop to get the most bang for your buck, quite honestly. We have two people already who want our unit if we sell so it won't be on the market, plus the HOA is over $1,000/month. It goes up a bit each year and this year they removed homeowners insurance from being included in it so now we have to buy a separate insurance policy on top of the monthly HOA. I'm afraid you are going to find that HOAs in the $1,000/month range are typical, especially if the resort is a nicer one. You get what you pay for with that.

Good luck!

Last edited by canudigit; 06-04-2020 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 05:43 PM

111 posts, read 95,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Hi all,

We are starting to look at coastal towns in SC for a Condo (2/3 BR) to use for both family vacations/winter escape from northeast, and short-term rentals, as well as eventual retirement. We'd like to keep it under $200K and HOA fees <$500. Goal is to break even from rental income (or better, if possible)...and want a place that is popular throughout several seasons.

We started with Kiawah Island (too $$$), looking at Seabrook Island (similar but can find things in our range, though fees might be too much). So I looked at Pawleys Island, Myrtle Beach, Topsail Beach -- but I've never been to those places. Is there a hidden gem along the coast, where you can get a nice new condo/townhouse within a few miles of the beach for under 200K that would be in a good location for rentals?

Also willing to consider other areas from NC to SC to GA to NE FL. FYI we are mid-50's; one of us has to work in NYC area and other has flexible schedule and is sick of long/cold/grey winters.

Nice pool area and fitness center is important to us. Access to bike trails would be a plus. Neutral on golf/tennis (we like golf but wouldn't use those facilities enough in next 5yr but maybe after?). Note to realtors uploading to Zillow etc: it's very important to show pics of the community pools and amenities!

Any suggestions? Thanks!
You might try a little further south at Tybee Island near Savannah, GA

Old 06-08-2020, 06:01 PM

111 posts, read 95,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There is mandatory Seabrook Club initation when you buy in Sebrook. Last I heard it was in the $10K range. Check this out.
How is this even legal? HOA's are like a new age of mafia

Old 06-09-2020, 07:33 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniKidNow View Post
Because people who live there want it. It's a private area. Don't like it? Don't move.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:18 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniKidNow View Post
It was done to maintain specific standard of living. Not a standard everyone can afford, but their choice. Accept or move on down the road.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:24 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:
Yeah that's a factor...also looking at NE FL (but it's also cool in winter!) and possibly Ft. Myers area.
My old college roommate is an established realtor in Ft. Myers, and he sends me copies of his listings.

A typical 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo in a 5 story building on the water runs $550K+ in Ft. Myers. And small homes are quite costly too.

The winter warm weather line would be considered South of a line from Tampa to Orlando to Cocoa.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:28 PM

84 posts, read 60,350 times
You should be able to meet your budget goal in Oak Island or North Topsail, both are in SE NC.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:00 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
Thanks for all the great input. I am also thinking ahead about college and in-state tuition...thinking SC because it's one year for residency vs. I think NC is 2 years (need to verify). We are driving down the coast next week and will drive through a few of these (Oak Island NC, Pawleys Island and then staying in Seabrook).

Based on what we are hearing and the size of the HS in Pawleys Island, we are leaning that way. Does anyone know more about Waccamaw HS in Pawleys Island SC?

Old 06-14-2020, 03:44 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
Also, any thoughts on schools and living in Hilton Head year-around? Which is better - Pawley's Island or Hilton Head?
We enjoy swimming, nature, biking, walking on the beach, exploring coastal areas. Is HH too crowded in-season?

Good high school is important.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:24 AM

84 posts, read 60,350 times
Quote:
Also, any thoughts on schools and living in Hilton Head year-around? Which is better - Pawley's Island or Hilton Head?
We enjoy swimming, nature, biking, walking on the beach, exploring coastal areas. Is HH too crowded in-season?

Good high school is important.
Haven't been to HH in several years, but I'd say its a more naturally beautiful area in my opinion, a bit more expensive though. One benefit is your near both Charleston and Savannah there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina