Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,304 times

Advertisements

My family will be vacationing on Hilton Head Island over Thanksgiving. This is the first vacation we will be taking with our son (who is 5). Is there anything noteworthy in the region that I should put into our itinerary? I want to make sure that both of my 'boys' don't get bored. (My husband is 35 and is less easily entertained than the 5 year old...)

I passed through Beaufort and Hunting Island several years ago and have set aside a day for revisiting. I love it there.

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 PM

25 posts, read 314,372 times
JudiLyn, obviously the weather makes swimming out of the question in November but my kids love going to the beach and collecting all the shells (though usually after 15 minutes I'm the one collecting shells while they chase birds and run off their infinite energy!). I just make sure they wear layers so as they work up a sweat they can remove one or two. There is also a miniature golf course on the north end of the island or The Sandbox - an interactive hands-on museum or you can go hiking on Pinckney Island (might see some dolphins). And of course, there's always golf for your husband...lol.

In Beaufort there is the Beaufort Fun Park which has a small arcade, go-cart track, small climbing wall, and more.

In Savannah, Georgia (only 40 minutes away) there is the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge where you can drive through and see the wildlife of the Lowcountry. Or Oatland Island in Savannah where you can park and walk the trails through the woods to see all kinds of animals - cougar, wolf, alligators, bobcat, eagles, etc.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 AM

385 posts, read 1,576,003 times
Default Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiLyn View Post
My family will be vacationing on Hilton Head Island over Thanksgiving. This is the first vacation we will be taking with our son (who is 5). Is there anything noteworthy in the region that I should put into our itinerary? I want to make sure that both of my 'boys' don't get bored. (My husband is 35 and is less easily entertained than the 5 year old...)

I passed through Beaufort and Hunting Island several years ago and have set aside a day for revisiting. I love it there.

Thanks!!!!!
Hi there!
If you have time drive up to Charleston and take them on the tour of Fort Sumpter. It's a boat ride over to the Fort (awesome views of Charleston Harbor!) and a tour of the Fort. Your son (and hsband) will love it!! Also maybe the exhibition of the Hunley.
There's lots of neat things in Charleston (just the Historic District itself is worth the drive).
Have a great vacation!
Check out Charleston.com
P.S. Did I mention Myrtle Beach? Awesome place for family adventures - Broadway At The Beach is a must for all ages! They have an incredible fireworks display.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,304 times
Thank you both for the suggestions!! My son has been counting the days left since the middle of last week.

And I'm not at all worried about the weather! For this time of year, the expected LOW temperatures there will be the expected HIGH temperatures here!! Yay!

Last edited by JudiLyn; 11-12-2007 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 AM

20 posts, read 96,264 times
While not a big tourist attraction (I think), I was on HHI a couple of years back and there was a small park that was actually an old stone house / mansion and it had the remnants of the slave quarters still somewhat intact. I can't recall the exact location but a local should be able to steer you to it.

Pretty moving place I thought.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM

96 posts, read 424,751 times
Does anyone know Fred Cerrato from H.Head? He used to own Plantation Deli. He bought an ice cream place some years back. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,256 times
Default Fred Cerrato that was originally from Asheville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airchauffeur View Post
Does anyone know Fred Cerrato from H.Head? He used to own Plantation Deli. He bought an ice cream place some years back. Thanks.

Not sure if it's the same person, Fred Cerrato who resided in Asheville, NC? I know him if it's the same person. His son is a Chef in the Asheville area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina