Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 11:52 AM

88 posts, read 79,238 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We've set our sights on the Low Country area as our next stop in life. Husband is an early, young retiree (law) and I can WFH (education and tech) so we're ready to hightail it out of New York City. (Background info: we're both native Floridians and have lived in lots of places, so we understand the heat.) We don't need glitz and glamour, would like an upscale apartment complex for the next year (outside the city/preferably with lower density) to ride out 2nd wave and get a feel of where best to buy for the long term.

For now, we've narrowed down our choices to
1. Wilmington Island
2. Georgetown area
3. Pooler, and
4. Bluffton (and/or Hilton Head Is.) Prefer Bluffton/HHI for its Bike paths but worried about Internet Connection.

Since I work from home, we want a quiet place as I'm on the telephone or Zooming all day long. As having noisy neighbors would be problematic, we want to steer clear of student housing areas but otherwise pretty open.

The only other serious deal-breaker would a poor internet connection. You've probably seen those teleconference calls where the audio cuts out or the picture freezes. Annoying and can be a real problem in business so any advice here would be especially helpful.

We also put an emphasis on low crime rate. Over the last two months, the shootings in NYC have skyrocketed. First the pandemic. Then the anti-police movement has led to hundreds of NYPD officers leaving the city, so lawlessness is on the rise. After 20,000+ city residents died from Covid, hundreds more have been killed in shootings. Who needs it. The few people I know on HHI don't believe Covid19 is real but if they lived through the carnage in NYC they'd probably feel differently.

Lastly, do you think most Bluffton residents see themselves as part of metro Savannah or is that seen as another entity altogether?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Default WFH Profl's Moving to Area. Torn B/N Bluffton-HHI or Metro Savannah

Hello all! We've set our sights on the Low Country area as our next stop in life. Husband is an early, young retiree (law) and I can WFH (education and tech) so we're ready to hightail it out of New York City. (Background info: we're both native Floridians and have lived in lots of places, so we understand the heat.) We don't need glitz and glamour, would like an upscale apartment complex for the next year (outside the city/preferably with lower density) to ride out 2nd wave and get a feel of where best to buy for the long term.

For now, we've narrowed down our choices to
1. Wilmington Island
2. Georgetown area
3. Pooler, and
4. Bluffton (and/or Hilton Head Is.) Prefer Bluffton/HHI for its Bike paths but worried about Internet Connection.

Since I work from home, we want a quiet place as I'm on the telephone or Zooming all day long. As having noisy neighbors would be problematic, we want to steer clear of student housing areas but otherwise pretty open.

The only other serious deal-breaker would a poor internet connection. You've probably seen those teleconference calls where the audio cuts out or the picture freezes. Annoying and can be a real problem in business so any advice here would be especially helpful.

We also put an emphasis on low crime rate. Over the last two months, the shootings in NYC have skyrocketed. First the pandemic. Then the anti-police movement has led to hundreds of NYPD officers leaving the city, so lawlessness is on the rise. After 20,000+ city residents died from Covid, hundreds more have been killed in shootings. Who needs it. The few people I know on HHI don't believe Covid19 is real but if they lived through the carnage in NYC they'd probably feel differently.

Lastly, do you think most Bluffton residents see themselves as part of metro Savannah or is that seen as another entity altogether?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate the feedback.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:38 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I would add Charleston and drop Georgetown.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Sorry everybody.... I posted this thread TWICE!!! My mistake. Please ignore this and look at identical thread. Again, apologies.
I'm a Newbie messing up the whole system. ugh.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:07 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
I love Georgetown! A REAL small town wilts real people.Nothing fake or manufactured about Georgetown!

Old 07-03-2020, 12:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I love Georgetown! A REAL small town wilts real people.Nothing fake or manufactured about Georgetown!
Downtown is cutesy and DeBordieu has some nice neighborhoods. Other than that, Georgetown is poor and rural.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:01 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
I wouldn’t worry about the internet connections on Hilton Head or in Bluffton. No upscale apartment complexes on the Island that I know of. There seem to be larger/newer ones in Bluffton but I don’t think I’d call them upscale.

I’d drop Georgetown as well.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:29 PM

Thank you everyone! I love CHS, in fact lived there in the 80's and left a week before Hugo hit. And we like Georgetown, SC too! But now, we're looking at Beaufort and points south, so we're looking at Georgetown, GA (just outside of Savannah.) Sorry for the confusion.

Casey, thanks for the reassurance on Bluffton RE: the internet. Do you have any opinions on the four contenders I listed in the OP?

On HHI, we're looking at WaterWalk, Summer House, HHGardens and MarshPoint. Have you heard anything about either of those? Don't want to buy in the middle of a Pandemic and we feel all this social distancing and isolation is going to last a while but looking at apartments is new to us as well... it's always something...

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Old 07-04-2020, 09:06 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Waterwalk is certainly in a convenient location. Shops, restaurants, a Kroger supermarket. I don't know how the noise would be inside the units. Shelter Cove is nice.

I'm not familiar with MarshPoint, but my daughter used to work with someone who rented an apartment in that area. The buildings are taller and overlook the water and you can see them from the bridge on the Cross Island Parkway. I'm sorry, I don't know their name.

As you are looking to rent for a year or so, you may also be able to rent a house or condo inside a development. Some permit long term rentals and they would be quiet.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. We might re-visit that as an option. What we want most in the way of amenities are a heated pool and a tennis court would be nice to have nearby and we thought many apartment complexes have those items where many individual homes do not. Some of the complexes even have full state-of-the art gyms, though because of social distancing, we may pass on using the equipment.

I'm curious... I know how crazy busy things can get during the summer season. After Labor Day, I imagine things quiet down for the most part. Do the visitors return during the winter, such as the "Snowbirds?" Or does it remain more tranquil until spring? It's such a popular area, I'd like to be fully aware of what we're getting into? I hear the bridge traffic can be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina