Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:05 PM

529 posts, read 1,979,664 times

Advertisements

I was just curious as to what the "locals" or those of you who visit that area a lot think of a place called Drunken Jacks? I went there on vacation and it was beyond terrible. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM

61 posts, read 257,625 times
I have been there about six time the past five years and always had a good dinner. I go there with my family always at least five of us and have not encounterd one bad meal.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
The few times I tried to go the wait was more than an hour. I always assumed it was good because of the lines trying to get in but from what I have heard from other locals is that it can be hit or miss and generally overrated. One time a friend & I didn't want to wait & went next door to Captain Dave's Dockside. We had a really nice meal and it didn't have that touristy feel to it, either.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the replys. I did a little digging and it does seem to be a hit or miss type of place. I guess my visit was a miss. I appreciate all your opinions.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 AM

194 posts, read 748,786 times
Drunken Jack's has good food overall and it is unfortunate you had a negative experience. They do a tremendous business and it was not built on bad food. That is subject to happen anywhere and it is always best to speak with management when it occurs. They want you to have a positive experience and if you do not, they may offer discounts or comp meals for legitimate complaints. From food quality to service, management is concerned. Many times people do not want to complain and if management is not aware of problems they can't fix them.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 PM

I figured with the type of business they have, it must be at least decent. I actually requested to speak to a manager because I believe in letting people know when I have a good or bad experience (people to often focus on just the bad) and the manager never came. Finally the server came over and apologized for the managers lack of attention. It was an odd night. There was not a wait when I went, so I know he was not busy. Oh well.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
The do have a good reputation, but I guess things like that can happen.
One good thing is there is a ton of places right at the same location that you could even walk too.
Try Olivers it is in a restored house, not far from Drunken Jacks........on the same side.
You can sit and look out at the marsh from the back porch. Its cuter inside then outside. A charming restored home, with nooks and crannies.........good food.
We like to stop in River City for lunch, and throw our peanut shells on the floor, and carve our names on the walls.........oh yeah, like little kids again.
Again, down a bit further on the same side as the others.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM

I like the sound of those... I will absolutely check those two places out. Thanks for the suggestions Summering!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
I like River City, too. There are a few of them on the Strand, the one in Surfside is on the ocean.

Went to Creek Ratz last week, the food was OK and they had live music which the kids enjoyed. Similar atmosphere as the Dead Dog Saloon. If you ever get a chance to dine at Inlet Affairs, mostly catering I think, jump at it. Wow, their food is delicious! And believe it or not, it is the same owners as Drunken Jack's.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM

I went to a place called Presson's. It was pretty good to be a buffet. It is just down from Drunken Jack's. I am going to try a few of the other places too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina