Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 09:17 AM

32 posts, read 37,521 times

Advertisements

This is a crosspost from the general forums but I figured posting here directly could answer whether or not Clemson or anywhere in SC would suit my needs. Thank you for taking the time to hear me out. I'm looking to relocate in the near future and need help locating prospective regions that fill my particular set of needs and interests.

Demographics
Sex: Male
Work: Homehealth nurse
Budget: 450k max (prefer no HOA)

Needs:
1.) Sunny warm days. Currently live in the upper midwest and the winters are brutal. I experience SAD every year. I can handle cooler temperatures as long as it's sunny. Ideal temperature range is 80-85 because that segways into my next need
2.) Access to clear/clean water and the ability to boat (small boat or jetski) from home to a variety of attractions/restaurants. A couple restaurants would suffice but a beach or two wouldn't hurt. I'm open to lakes, rivers, and oceans.
3.) Large hospital system with good volume to ensure adequate work.
4.) Youthful population as I'm quite young.

Bonuses:
1.) Moderate traffic as I travel for work daily. Thankfully am able to avoid typical rush hour times as schedule is flexible.
2.) Liberal views. Hippie at heart.

At first glance it seems like Florida may have what I'm looking for but I worry the 90 degree summer heat will be too much as I work out of people's home. A typical day consists of driving to 10 different patient homes. That includes lots of changes in ambient temperatures from entering and exiting their homes frequently, and that can be very taxing on my system. I've also considered some of the east coast but it's sorta overwhelming. Seems like Hawaii would fit the bill. Too bad it's so expensive. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read! I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 12:08 PM

738 posts, read 416,486 times
How did you zoom in on Clemson?

It's a very small town with Clemson U being the basically only employer other than restaurants and retail.

If lakes are your highest priority, hard to beat Clemson. You wouldn't be able to travel by boat to much other than parks and Clemson U and marinas.

I think it would be weird to live in Clemson if you are not a Clemson student, grad, or employee.

For somebody in their 20s I would recommend Greenville

It has the coolest downtown in the US, in my view.

Another idea Charleston would put you at beach with a lot of young ppl. It has a popular downtown

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 08-03-2020 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: See

Old 08-03-2020, 01:47 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
Odd question- how are you swinging 450K in your mid twenties? I ask because if its based on salary you may want to take a closer look at SC salaries before making the jump.

I went to Clemson and still visit. Despite being a college town it is not liberal. And nearby towns are even less so. Seneca (Lake Keowee which is generally cleaner than Hartwell) also tilts more towards an older population.

Charleston would give you a lot more young people but the waterways are brackish and buying on water is pricey. It is also a very competitive city for healthcare workers since it has a medical school.

Columbia, SC or Wilmington, NC might be worth a look. Possibly even the areas around Myrtle Beach- but that is not a liberal bastion.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Grasser

Take a good look at Charleston. In SC, it is closest to meeting your desires.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:54 PM

482 posts, read 419,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Grasser

Take a good look at Charleston. In SC, it is closest to meeting your desires.
Disagree. OP, you've posted this same question on multiple pages. I did respond to your query on the Savannah page. The same reasons that I gave for your to not consider Savannah hold true for Charleston, or anywhere on the SC coast.

Columbia might be worthy of consideration however. I'd say Greenville, but they're very red there and winters can be gray there too. Look up "Appalachian Wedge" to understand. The Upstate of SC is not somewhere to be if you suffer from SAD.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:27 PM

738 posts, read 416,486 times
The liberal arts professors and students at Clemson are extremely liberal, and the president and administrative people appear to be too.

Clemson frequently is mentioned on two conservative websites that do news articles about liberal stuff at colleges.

For example, they recently cancelled taco Tuesday at the dining halls because a couple of students thought it was racist. That wouldn't happen at Hillsdale

Clemson's student body does have more conservatives and political diversity than most universities because it has more STEM students than most with the large engineering college. It has more male students than most colleges, it is probably still over 50 percent male.

Greenville has above average annual number of sunny days.

SAD is definitely not an issue here.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:32 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
No. Clemson would not be a remotely good fit for almost any of your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina