Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,086 times

Advertisements

Can anyone educate me on the good and bad with Geargetown? My wife and I have been planning to move to Conway or MB, but I am willing to move wherever the work is. I saw that there is a VA hospital in Georgetown, and if the opportunity presented itself I would jump at the chance to work there. Can you give me a comparison of Georgetown to other cities in the grand strand (housing, professional jobs, centralized downtown area etc.), as well as what towns it borders? Thanks.

Last edited by pvjd; 05-08-2008 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 AM

194 posts, read 748,786 times
Georgetown has a very nice downtown on the waterfront with nice shops and Restaurants and in recent years condos on the water. You should check out this website for some good info. There is a port and steel, and paper mills also located nearby. There are many older historic homes in the main part of town. Georgetown has not seen the building boom of other areas along the coast but there are new developments planned. there are several developments along South Island Road in Maryville and Harmony Township does have some new homes but it has been my understanding that sales have been slow for them.
I'm not sure about the VA Hospital as I know Georgetown Hospital Systems has been the only one for many years.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,086 times
I think what it is is a VA services clinic, with the main hospital being in Charleston. I live in Birmingham, and we have a main VA, but with other outpatient clinics, etc. being scattered around here and there. Myrtle Beach actually has a clinic that provides mental health services to VA's as well, but I don't think it is very large. When the wife and visited, we mostly saw Charleston, MB and Conway. When we visit next time, I plan to check out Georgetown. I hear it is a bit more pricey than some areas along the strand, is there truth to that? I work in community psychiatry as a case manager, with the seriously mentally ill and homeless population. It pays the bills, but non-profit/community programs never pay as much as for-profit/private programs. I have noticed a few potential employers in my field of interest, but nothing that has amazing pay, which is perfectly fine with me as long as it is within my cost of living, if you know what I mean. I would rather like my job and be on a budget than hate my job for for a few extra dollars.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
If all of the developements planned are built you will see the population of Georgetown County nearly double in the next decade. The area around Hwy 701 & 51 in particular will be booming.

There are a few nice communities just south of Georgtown called Belle Isle and Maryville. It is an easy commute to the city of Georgetown and it is less than an hour to Charleston/Mount Pleasant. I don't know enough about Conway to make a detailed comparison except that I think Conway is bigger. Gtown is more secluded and laid back.

The area to the north of Gtown is Pawleys Island and you will find prices there to be among the higher of the Strand. Most houses are going for $250k+ and there are many developments where all houses are $500k+. But the schools are quite good and shopping is more convenient.

I also think that the area between Awendaw and McClellanville will start to build up as well. That would put you halfway between Georgetown & Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina