Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2024, 10:50 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 9 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times

Advertisements

That's a sexist mindset.

Theranos was in the hands of Elizabeth Holmes. Media made a big deal of her gender. Now she's a jailbird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 12:36 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
That's a sexist mindset.

Theranos was in the hands of Elizabeth Holmes. Media made a big deal of her gender. Now she's a jailbird.
Ya got me.

And don’t ever think I won’t say ya got me if it ever happens again.

Old 03-27-2024, 06:09 AM

So, I mean…

“The Airbus A330neo jetliner left for Amsterdam on Sunday but got only as far as the Montana-North Dakota boundary before turning back and…”

https://www.live5news.com/2024/03/26...hvh1bbrvp7a611

Old 03-27-2024, 11:05 AM

I'm surprised so many businesses are moving to Charleston given their concern about climate change and the rising sea levels.

Looks like there won't be a downtown Charleston much longer.

A Harvard Law professor warns Charleston is "Confederate Disneyland, and it’s about to be SeaWorld,”

https://heatmap.news/climate/charles...hange-flooding

Old 03-27-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised so many businesses are moving to Charleston given the rising sea levels.

Looks like there won't be a downtown Charleston much longer.

https://heatmap.news/climate/charles...hange-flooding
Now you’re being silly. There’s work to do to mitigate the effects of the tide and rain. I suspect Charleston will gradually adopt the canal method as needed, but that will be more than a century down the road.

The City of Charleston’s plan in the required rewriting of its codes is to build in higher spots while preserving wetlands, creating new water inlets, and raising the shoreline in strategic places. And on the upper peninsula and on Cainhoy Peninsula, there will be enough volume in new housing to change the metro’s center of gravity. BTW, Cainhoy is in the city of Charleston, but in Berkeley County, and it’s an area slated for residential construction of all types, but majority dense.

Even now, but especially from now on, when we talk about Berkeley County’s rapid population growth and big numbers added, we have to ask how much of that was Cainhoy/city of Charleston growth. That’s why ‘I don’t do’ counties like I do urban areas, metropolitan statistical areas, and cities proper.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:49 AM

A Harvard law person disagrees with you. Assume she's an expert in climate change.

Most corporations talk about climate change all of the time. Climate change is supposed to increase flooding and hurricanes. Yet Charleston is attracting new companies.

Seems like it makes sense for businesses to locate away from coast in areas with higher elevation. But Charleston is blowing the rest of the state out the water.

If downtown Charleston goes underwater, Charleston will become the premiere scuba diving destination in the world. Lake Jocassee is popular for diving because a small town being in there. If the Harvard lawyer's depiction of Charleston as Confederate Disneyland is correct, it would become Confederate SeaWorld.

You'll have to live out in what are considered the suburbs now assuming they aren't underwater. The big box store area in N Charleston may serve as your new downtown.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 03-28-2024 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-28-2024, 05:07 PM

You’re at least a couple of centuries ahead of yourself. The peninsula won’t be underwater for a very, very longtime. Spots on the periphery and a few low-lying interior areas will someday give way to water as a permanent feature as opposed to a nuisance that future pumps (They’re coming.) will take care of.

It’s a misnomer to say the Charleston-North Charleston MSA is at risk of flooding as a whole. The higher elevations are fine for new construction. There is plenty of higher-elevation. It plays to an MSA’s advantage to have natural deterrents to continued sprawl. That way it’s more likely to end up looking like a city than a giant suburban slab.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:08 AM

It will never be underwater unless there's a crazy earthquake that changes the land elevations significantly.

The Harvard law professor earned a BA at Yale and a law degree at Yale. She has no background in science. A person who tries to link race to climate has no credibility.

Charleston has had a population and job boom despite all the dire warnings about climate change.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 03-29-2024 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-29-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
That way it’s more likely to end up looking like a city than a giant suburban slab.
Doesn't seem like most Americans have a problem with the suburbs. I don't get what makes King Street better than the town center in Mt Pleasant or similar suburban developments.

It is an asphalt road with narrow concrete sidewalks with ocassional palm tree and many stores that you see everywhere. If it was adjacent to a park like Forsyth Park in Savannah with the big trees with spanish moss and a quaint fountain, I could see your point. The town center in Mt Pleasant has an aesthetic closer to Forsyth Park than King Street.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 03-29-2024 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-29-2024, 05:50 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem like most Americans have a problem with the suburbs. I don't get what makes King Street better than the town center in Mt Pleasant or similar suburban developments.

It is an asphalt road with narrow concrete sidewalks with ocassional palm tree and many stores that you see everywhere. If it was adjacent to a park like Forsyth Park in Savannah with the big trees with spanish moss and a quaint fountain, I could see your point. The town center in Mt Pleasant has an aesthetic closer to Forsyth Park than King Street.
Town Center is a bunch of glorified strip malls. King Street is a more typical downtown where you've got businesses right on the road people actually drive on instead of being WAY off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina