Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2023, 01:49 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I'm still not getting a vibe Charleston is adding more jobs than most of the country, unless most of the country is in a recession.

I recognized most of the companies that closed in Charleston except TELUS which had opened two years ago. The metro had to make up those 1700 lost jobs first

Typically if a metro has big name employers closing it is a down year
Okay. You win. The Charleston-N. Charleston MSA isn’t in a period of adding jobs at the fastest rate in the country, and it’s not in a period of adding more jobs than other metros in SC, let alone all others combined, despite what BLS and DEW say. The credibility of your vibes outweighs that of those agencies’ reports. And reports of layoffs and the absence of Post and Courier articles about any large companies hiring thousands here negate the analysis of state and national government economists who have documented thousands of jobs gains in the Charleston-N. Charleston MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 07:52 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
I feel like given the historic hype of Charleston in general, it is reasonable to assume media at local, state and national level would report on fast job growth in Charleston relative to the state and country.

It is possible the media somehow overlooked it or didn't find it compelling enough to report on. But the city and chamber of commerce didn't seem to hype it as well. You are hyping it but they aren't. I find that interesting.

I consider a new job created a win even if it is in Charleston metro.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:45 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
I feel like given the historic hype of Charleston in general, it is reasonable to assume media at local, state and national level would report on fast job growth in Charleston relative to the state and country.

It is possible the media somehow overlooked it or didn't find it compelling enough to report on. But the city and chamber of commerce didn't seem to hype it as well. You are hyping it but they aren't. I find that interesting.

I consider a new job created a win even if it is in Charleston metro.
I don't see the media reporting on that sorta stuff till we surpass greenville as the largest metro job wise, and they might wait till population. So it'll be awhile.

Old 11-04-2023, 02:12 PM

“Drive along the 240-mile stretch of the Atlantic coast from Charleston, South Carolina, through the grassy marsh land of southern Georgia and down into northern Florida, and you’ll see one of the most profound economic shifts in the U.S. today.”

“Back on the South Atlantic coast, signs of the explosive growth are everywhere along the Interstate 26 corridor that leads to Charleston, South Carolina, a 150,000-resident city with a rich, 350-year history. On this vital link to the port, sandwiched between sensitive environmental lands, electric-vehicles plants and master-planned communities are replacing the forests managed by timber companies for decades.”

“On a March Friday evening, a couple dozen empty-nesters sipped chardonnay and bourbon at a newcomers club party in the Charleston suburb town of Mount Pleasant. Almost everyone seemed to be from New Jersey.”

“Northeasterners are moving here, but, more surprisingly, so are Californians. Employment in the Charleston metro area grew by 5.9% last year, twice as fast as the U.S. average.”

https://tylerpaper.com/a-100-billion...72562.amp.html

Old 11-04-2023, 02:23 PM

“Coupled with the always thriving tourism economy in Charleston, a growing tech community and world-class medical facilities, forecasters are predicting the Charleston area will add 21,000 new jobs this year alone, continuing to see unprecedented growth and a high demand for real estate.”

https://geothinq.com/market-spotligh...outh-carolina/

Old 11-04-2023, 02:54 PM

I think it’s backwards to ask why Charleston’s local media haven’t done big stories on the metro’s impressive jobs growth numbers compared to the rest of the state if DEW and BLS are correct. I’d want to know why local media were posting such stories if DEW and BLS’s reports didn’t reveal the growth.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
You haven't responded to any of the points that I made. How are their definitions better than mine? If you can't explain that, it is reasonable to assume my points are solid. You are implying I'm wrong so back it up by explaining how their view makes more sense.

There is no obligation for people to agree with their view or contact the people to express disagreement.
I'm not implying you're wrong; on the contrary, you make some legitimate points when it comes to Spartanburg's status as an independent MSA. I only asked you what's your point in objecting to the methods used by the OMB to designate various types of metropolitan areas because you said you didn't care about that when clearly you do as you believe their methods are obviously flawed.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Charleston doesn't have a CSA. Even Charleston WV has a CSA. That means Charleston doesn't lift up surrounding counties relative to cities with CSAs.
One major reason for this is the region's highway infrastructure. Much of the recent economic investment in the Charleston region has occurred within relatively close proximity to the I-26 corridor, which is the only primary interstate serving the area. Had I-95 tracked closer to the coast, or if U.S. 17 or ALT 17 between I-26 and I-95 were interstate-level highways with off-ramp exits similar to SC 277 in Columbia, it's likely Colleton County would have at least given the Charleston region a CSA by this point. But that's really the only other county that would conceivably be pulled into the region's economic orbit. Now there's some cross-county flow from eastern Orangeburg County (the pocket east of I-95) into Berkeley County, and I suspect that development creeping up I-26 in Dorchester County like Volvo is beginning to or will soon tug on the town of Bowman in Orangeburg County just west of I-26, but it's not nearly enough to attract 15% of county's total commuter share into metro Charleston to shift Orangeburg--which is already in Columbia's CSA--into the Lowcounty to give the region a CSA.

The second major reason is the physical geography of the region. Francis Marion National Forest and the Santee Cooper Lakes serve as buffers that effectively prevent Georgetown (which is within Myrtle's CSA) and Clarendon Counties from being daisy-chained into the larger region. And the coastal location of the metropolitan area, centered on Charleston proper that is directly along the coastline itself, gives it only roughly a 180 degree of the surrounding area to absorb into its economic orbit. Inland metropolitan areas without major geographic barriers, by contrast, generally have closer to a 360 degree sphere of potential surrounding territory to absorb. And Charleston County's long northeast/southwest orientation, stretching from the South Santee River to the South Edisto River, puts practically the entire length of the coastline that could conceivably be within the regional economic sphere, which is centered on the city of Charleston, already firmly within the county. That's essentially all developable land between Georgetown and Beaufort, a nearly 100 mile stretch.

Essentially metro Charleston's boundaries are more or less set for the foreseeable future with Colleton County being the only possible, but unlikely, wildcard.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I'm still not getting a vibe Charleston is adding more jobs than most of the country, unless most of the country is in a recession.

I recognized most of the companies that closed in Charleston except TELUS which had opened two years ago. The metro had to make up those 1700 lost jobs first

Typically if a metro has big name employers closing it is a down year
It's possible that this development is disproportionately responsible for the latest job growth numbers.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:42 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Honestly i don't think Colleton county is that far off, 15% of it's workforce would be 2.4k people, which is a good amount but i wouldn't be that surprised if a lot of the people working at Edisto Beach, which is in Colleton county, come from Edisto Island, which is Charleston. Beyond that the Hollywood area has been starting to see some growth reach it, and then the extent of growth around Summerville is starting to get pretty close to the border with Colleton county. One thing Charleston does have going for it is that it's by far the largest Urban area in the state, about 680k vs columbias 590k vs Greenvilles 390k and then Spartanburgs 200k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina