Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 03:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
From 7/1/2021 to 7/1/2022, the numbers are:

Charleston 151,783 153,672
Columbia 136,394 139,698
North Charleston 117,586 118,608
Mount Pleasant 92,844 94,545
Rock Hill 74,743 75,349
Greenville 72,286 72,310
Summerville 51,337 51,617
Goose Creek 46,707 47,618
Sumter 43,179 42,757
Florence 39,978 40,072
I know things change, but Charleston/Charleston County has been losing black residents big time may just start becoming too expensive for some or people may just want to stretch their money further. But glad to see Columbia picking up steam. There is a ton of infill happening downtown (Bull Street being the largest) and the increased annexations in Northeast Richland and Southeast (plenty of land and not land locked) are developing pretty rapidly. It’ll be an interesting decade with Scout Motors with 4,000 jobs coming to the area.

Columbia (+3,304)
Greer (+3,241) - about to overtake Sumter.
Charleston (+1,889)
Mount Pleasant (+1,701)
Myrtle Beach (+1,431) - about to overtake Florence
North Charleston (+1,022)
Goose Creek (+911)
Rock Hill (+606)
Summerville (+280)
Florence (+94)
Greenville (+24)
Sumter (-422)

Last edited by sonofaque86; 05-19-2023 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 05:43 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
I just read on the Alabama forum that census realignments of counties don’t happen until June

Why would you release metro census population figures and then release realignments a month later? Lol

Weird.

Matt- are you still having trouble accessing the wiki page? I’m not sure what the problem could be. Go to Google and just type “Metro populations wiki”. Access it that way and see if it loads up properly.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:54 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I just read on the Alabama forum that census realignments of counties don’t happen until June

Why would you release metro census population figures and then release realignments a month later? Lol

Weird.

Matt- are you still having trouble accessing the wiki page? I’m not sure what the problem could be. Go to Google and just type “Metro populations wiki”. Access it that way and see if it loads up properly.
I just tried it on my desktop. I clicked your link and scrolled down and the list is there. Not so on my phone. On my phone the page scrolls only so far and dead ends with no list. No amount of clicking on different links on my phone brings up the list or a page with the list on it. It’s an iPhone 11, so not that outdated I wouldn’t think. Anyway, thanks.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:03 AM

Here's an interesting page from the Census Bureau.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...owns-2022.html

Old 05-21-2023, 06:38 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I know things change, but Charleston/Charleston County has been losing black residents big time may just start becoming too expensive for some or people may just want to stretch their money further. But glad to see Columbia picking up steam. There is a ton of infill happening downtown (Bull Street being the largest) and the increased annexations in Northeast Richland and Southeast (plenty of land and not land locked) are developing pretty rapidly. It’ll be an interesting decade with Scout Motors with 4,000 jobs coming to the area.

Columbia (+3,304)
Greer (+3,241) - about to overtake Sumter.
Charleston (+1,889)
Mount Pleasant (+1,701)
Myrtle Beach (+1,431) - about to overtake Florence
North Charleston (+1,022)
Goose Creek (+911)
Rock Hill (+606)
Summerville (+280)
Florence (+94)
Greenville (+24)
Sumter (-422)
Yeah Florence and Sumter are a 'Tale of Two Cities'. Both have suburban areas that if they were annexed would greatly boost their populations. Sumter is 'depopulating' as they are demolishing portions of the city due to vacant or dilapidated housing stock and not replacing them with new housing or residents. Florence, from what I can see doesnt have much vacant land inside the city limits with the exception of portions of East and North Florence. There is a large swath in front of McCleod Hospital but that will likely be developed for hospital/medical use and not residential.

There seems to be no real incentive to do major "infill" residential development in either city at the moment given the availability of vacant suburban and even rural land nearby. That may change in Florence as the downtown area becomes more attractive. There is already an effort to bring more apartments and townhomes to the downtown. That has yet to happen in any measurable form in Sumter with the exception of a few units here and there over downtown stores and mostly affordable or senior housing developments. Florence County doesnt appear to have grown as quickly in this census compared to the prior one.. which is surprising. I wonder if both cities are also suffering from declining household size which is probably affecting other cities as well.

Mt Pleasant, Rock Hill and Greenville could likely all have over 100k if they could annex their urbanized areas.. but same could be said for the ones that are already over 100k

Old 05-21-2023, 06:56 AM

Charleston will add at least 20,000 with planned housing developments on already-annexed land on Cainhoy alone, and then there are the not-yet-occupied mega apartment complexes presently under construction in outer West Ashley and Johns Island, as well as more current housing construction proposals across the city. And then there’s the front and center discussion about catching up to the need for workforce (affordable/attainable) housing in the downtown and close-in areas, all while staying away from now-forbidden lower-lying spots. It goes without saying that all said areas are within the Charleston city limits.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Charleston will add at least 20,000 with planned housing developments on already-annexed land on Cainhoy alone, and then there are the not-yet-occupied mega apartment complexes presently under construction in outer West Ashley and Johns Island, as well as more current housing construction proposals across the city. And then there’s the front and center discussion about catching up to the need for workforce (affordable/attainable) housing in the downtown and close-in areas, all while staying away from now-forbidden lower-lying spots. It goes without saying that all said areas are within the Charleston city limits.
Yeah that pretty impressive. I imagine that the demand is there for it given the interest in people moving or retiring to the area.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:26 AM

I was looking at the Midlands cities/towns outside the booming areas of Lexington County so mainly on the Richland and Kershaw County side based on 2010 vs 2020 data noting it may not be totally accurate.

Blythewood 4,770 (+134%)
Forest Acres 10,617 (+2.5%)
Elgin 1,634 (+24%)
Camden 7,800 (+13%)
Irmo 11,569 (+4.5%)

What stand out to me, as most people in Midlands know, Blythewood is leading the pack as most of the suburban development is occurring in and around its boundaries. Proximity to I-77 to Charlotte and Schools being the driving force. At the current rate it will likely overtake these other cities in population. I suspect that despite not having many services, the city has an easier time annexing property/development because the low tax rate (likely because they dont offer said services and likely more about residents wanting to control what is going on around them from a land development perspective which can be easier in a town than dealing with the vast Richland County Council.

The Legacy suburbs like Irmo and Forest Acres grew slowly likely because of falling household populations, lack of vacant land and resistance to annexation. Forest Acres is practically landlocked by the City of Columbia so it will be forced over time to absorb their own donut holes as new residents become less resistant to annexation, which may require the city to become more aggressive. They do however; have a major redevelopment effort with Richland Mall which will certainly attract residents to the multi family apartments and townhomes(?). They also have annexed land on Trenholm Road north of Decker Blvd which is mostly undeveloped and likely become multifamily or commercial over time. Nevertheless, they likely will not be growing in double digits. Irmo is now facing what Columbia has faced, new subdivision and suburban developments being less interested in coming in as they can gain most basic services from County. Irmo is in two Counties which likely compounds their problem along with being surrounded by existing and now much older suburbs.

Elgin and Camden in Kershaw County.. Kershaw County stands to benefit from spillover from Richland or people not wanting to live in an "urban/suburban" County vs Exurban while having access to it. Also those who may prefer a smaller school district compared to Richland 2. It does not seem to be happening just yet as it is only showing a single digit increase overall in population from 2010. Elgin can continue to annex towards the Richland County Line. Unlike Blythewood, it does have a police department whose response time may be encouraging for potential residents or developers to want to annex. I believe they also have free garbage pickup provided by the town via a contractor. So the town may continue to grow over time and commands the second highest growth rate behind Blythewood. Camden is a traditional town like Newberry on the other side of the metro. THough it is well respected because of its history and horseracing.. I dont know if one would leapfrog over Elgin to move to Camden when you can live in Elgin and have access to it along with Columbia and the Richland County suburbs. Also...the Lugoff Elgin Zone seems to be the more favorable school district. Nonetheless it has the third highest growth rate.

Others please add your thoughts or observations if interested.

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-21-2023 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-21-2023, 07:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
The Sumter MSA has been added to the Columbia CSA, putting its population at approximately 1.1M.

Brunswick County, NC has been returned to the Wilmington, NC MSA from Myrtle Beach which knocks the Myrtle Beach MSA down a peg in population rankings.

The Greenville-Anderson MSA has been renamed the Greenville-Anderson-Greer MSA.

Those are the changes I noticed in the latest OMB updates which can be found here (PDF): https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-23-01.pdf

Old 07-21-2023, 08:34 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Sumter MSA has been added to the Columbia CSA, putting its population at approximately 1.1M.

Brunswick County, NC has been returned to the Wilmington, NC MSA from Myrtle Beach which knocks the Myrtle Beach MSA down a peg in population rankings.

The Greenville-Anderson MSA has been renamed the Greenville-Anderson-Greer MSA.

Those are the changes I noticed in the latest OMB updates which can be found here (PDF): https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-23-01.pdf
Beat me to it.

I’m a bit surprised that nothing was added to Columbias MSA but how in the world was Georgetown not added to Myrtle Beaches MSA? Lol

I follow the guys on the Alabama board a bit and apparently nothing changed for them either besides a few CSA’s. Although, in a tiny state like South Carolina that’s growing incredibly rapid, not even one county got added to any MSA? Unless covid completely just threw stats off the rails and the folks at census bureau didn’t adjust any parameters; or perhaps they’re just playing “eeny, meeny, miny, mo” or flipping a coin for this one considering its half a month late in its release. I don’t really know. I was really rooting for at least one of the MSA’s in SC would’ve added a county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina