Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 08:45 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

Best Places:

Greenville and Charleston’s crime compared:

Last edited by Yac; 11-22-2023 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 11:36 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Best Places:

Greenville and Charleston’s crime compared:

Not a very good data point as urban Greenville is much larger than it's city limits and that skews this metric. If the city limits were closer to it's true size this number would be much lower I bet. Maybe if they broke it down into urban area it would be more accurate, but there is not really a way to do that I suppose. Charleston's city limit is a closer representation of its true size. Hard to annex up here. It's really much larger than 29 square miles. But I suppose I'm beating a dead horse as this has been mentioned by me on multiple occasions. I wish they would just update the stupid archaic law. And the thing is, you know better. Lol. This isn't new to you.

Last edited by Yac; 11-22-2023 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-18-2023, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Not a very good data point as urban Greenville is much larger than it's city limits and that skews this metric. If the city limits were closer to it's true size this number would be much lower I bet. Maybe if they broke it down into urban area it would be more accurate, but there is not really a way to do that I suppose. Charleston's city limit is a closer representation of its true size. Hard to annex up here. It's really much larger than 29 square miles. But I suppose I'm beating a dead horse as this has been mentioned by me on multiple occasions. I wish they would just update the stupid archaic law. And the thing is, you know better. Lol. This isn't new to you.
Are you saying if Charleston’s city limits were as small as Greenville’s the crime numbers in the two municipalities might be more even?

Old 11-18-2023, 07:16 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 16 days ago)

732 posts, read 348,083 times
The topic is about Columbia and Charleston. Somebody brought up crime in Spartanburg. Now you are doing a Charleston vs Greenville comparison.

I was pointing out the downtown areas of Charleston and Columbia are generally the most dangerous areas of SC for people who live in middle class and affluent neighborhoods. I would say downtown Greenville is #3 or a little behind Mrytle Beach. I'm not telling people not to move to any city based on crime.

But if crime is your top priority then you should move to states like Maine or Utah. SC and the south in general have demographics that are more associated with crime.

Charleston and Columbia didn't handle the riots well. Many residents think the cops were told to stand down. That is part of livability in my view. There are Charleston residents and fans who act like it is taboo to talk about those riots and how the city handled them. Those riots made national news. I see people who are always touting Charleston's history who don't like it when you talk about the city's recent history.

Many people seem to think a hyped up downtown is safe but people get killed in hyped up downtowns all of the time. A restaurant worker was gunned down at a gas station in downtown Charleston this week. https://abcnews4.com/news/local/coro...civ-abc-news-4

That gas station is right next to Marion Square and the expensive hotels in downtown Charleston. It isn't in a ghetto area. That is near the location where the husband of the College of Charleston's president was gunned down soon after moving to Charleston.

The murders of this restaurant worker, Wesley Francis, and the COC president's husband, Tom DiLorenzo, are part of Charleston's history. Their stories are worth telling. Their lives mattered.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-18-2023 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-18-2023, 07:22 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Are you saying if Charleston’s city limits were as small as Greenville’s the crime numbers in the two municipalities might be more even?
I actually believe it would be more, but maybe not. It would be closer for sure. That's just my opinion. If I had time to break the data down perhaps I can prove it. But sites like Bestplaces don't dig that deep. They do just like the average person does. Maybe they have a county metric. I even think that would be a better representation. That's why I wish the state would fix this annexation thing. It doesn't feel unsafe to me, but that is subjective. It feels clean in most areas that the city has control over. Most our bad areas sit outside the city limits now.

Last edited by DSMRE; 11-18-2023 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-18-2023, 07:52 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
The topic is about Columbia and Charleston. Somebody brought up crime in Spartanburg. Now you are doing a Charleston vs Greenville comparison.

I was pointing out the downtown areas of Charleston and Columbia are generally the most dangerous areas of SC for people who live in middle class and affluent neighborhoods. I would say downtown Greenville is #3 or a little behind Mrytle Beach. I'm not telling people not to move to any city based on crime.

But if crime is your top priority then you should move to states like Maine or Utah. SC and the south in general have demographics that are more associated with crime.

Charleston and Columbia didn't handle the riots well. Many residents think the cops were told to stand down. That is part of livability in my view. There are Charleston residents and fans who act like it is taboo to talk about those riots and how the city handled them. Those riots made national news.

Many people seem to think a hyped up downtown is safe but people get killed in hyped up downtowns all of the time. A restaurant worker was gunned down at a gas station in downtown Charleston this week. https://abcnews4.com/news/local/coro...civ-abc-news-4

That gas station is right next to Marion Square and the expensive hotels in downtown Charleston. It isn't in a ghetto area.
I cant speak for Charleston, but I know in Columbia's case..most of the crime is associated with a few nightclubs/bars in the vista that had some incidents.. but I believe a few have been closed down. Some may also note issues with the homeless either aggressive panhandling, petty theft, or possibly some homeless on homeless crime which I have witnessed from time to time. If you expand "downtown Columbia" to include Five Points...you will now get into a myriad of issues from fights, drunk in public, destruction of property etc. often associated with a college district. I dont think downtown Columbia is unsafe but it does clear out around midnight with the exception of a few establishment spread throughout the area. Crime is opportunistic so.. walking along main street at midnight... more than likely nothing will happen.. but you can never be too sure.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:11 PM

That's true. The Vista area in downtown Columbia isn't an area I would have a big concern regarding crime. I probably wouldn't go to 5 points after dark because there is poor residential near it.

It is pretty common to see people who hype up downtown Charleston talk about crime outside of the Charleston metro. Just pointing out downtown CHarleston is probably one of the most dangerous spots in SC for people who don't live in high crime neighorhoods. I think I've made the same observation about Main Street in Greenville on the Greenville forum. Many people probably have a false sense of security in downtown Charleston and Greenville due to the hype.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-18-2023 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-18-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post

Charleston and Columbia didn't handle the riots well. Many residents think the cops were told to stand down. That is part of livability in my view. There are Charleston residents and fans who act like it is taboo to talk about those riots and how the city handled them. Those riots made national news. I see people who are always touting Charleston's history who don't like it when you talk about the city's recent history.

That gas station is right next to Marion Square and the expensive hotels in downtown Charleston. It isn't in a ghetto area. That is near the location where the husband of the College of Charleston's president was gunned down soon after moving to Charleston.

The murders of this restaurant worker, Wesley Francis, and the COC president's husband, Tom DiLorenzo, are part of Charleston's history. Their stories are worth telling. Their lives mattered.
If you’re talking to me, I only replied to a post about a Greenville and Charleston comparison, after responding to your inherent boost to your Greenville by knocking Charleston and Columbia’s downtowns. Crime happens everywhere. Nowhere is immune. But downtown Charleston is thriving like never before, so it seems people aren’t cowering in their homes and avoiding it, despite the fact that crime happens everywhere and nowhere is immune.

Continuing to say a downtown is more dangerous than other places because a riot occurred there one night during national unrest three years ago is silly. Unfortunately a murder happened two weeks ago at 5 a.m. in downtown Charleston. The college professor’s murder in downtown Charleston several years ago was tragic.

Crime happens everywhere. Nowhere is immune. There’s nothing special being done in downtown Greenville that makes it safer than downtown Charleston or downtown Columbia. It’s the (bad) luck of the draw.

Also, the metrics in the ranking aren’t concerned with whether a murder or two out of the 8 to 10 murders that occur yearly in Charleston out of 153,000 people happens downtown.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 11-18-2023 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-18-2023, 08:28 PM

I'm not trying to persuade anybody not to move to Charleston or Columbia on the basis of crime. I've also said Greenville's Main Street is one of the most dangerous places in the state on a relative basis for people who don't live in the poor high crime areas. That doesn't mean I think you are likely to be a crime victim down there. But at the same time, I don't like to linger long in any downtown area. Downtown areas are like the wild west relative to the burbs. I'll never be on foot around Marion Square and King Street again. I could probably talk myself into walking around the East Bay Street area.

The reason you think my posts are about touting Greenville is your competitive nature. My new national park in SC idea (Jocassee Gorges National Park) on the Greenville forum may be bugging you as well, especially the part about downtown Greenville being a subunit of the national park. Falls Park is basically a national park already in terms of popularity and the waterfall was ranked the best in America by one publication. I feel like Greenville is the best example of a rags to riches milltown revitalization.

I asked myself if the Gateway Arch, Hot Springs Arkansas, and the Congaree Swamp in Hopkins can be stand alone national parks, why can't downtown Greenville at least be a subunit of a large national park in western SC that would include Table Rock, Whitewater Falls, Issaqueena Falls, Stumphouse Tunnel and Lake Jocassee?

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-18-2023 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-19-2023, 11:20 AM

Charleston has a solid claim for national park status covering the downtown, Charles Towne Landing, the forts and slave plantations and Patriots Point. Mesa Verde in Colorado was given national park status based on the historic Indian cliff dwellings alone.

I feel bad for people who fly into SC just to go to Congaree National swamp. That's kind of like a practical joke. Congaree would probably be one of the least visited state parks in SC if it was a state park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina