Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 07:11 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have said Greenville’s downtown is wonderful but that that’s pretty much it. They need to remember the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Mentioning Falls Park would be double-dipping on the downtown.

I just saw Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson listed as one place on a list yesterday. That should make some area boosters happy. It was a list of places that have the most migraine headache sufferers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 07:17 AM

BTW, a 70-acre redevelopment of the old State Ports Authority’s terminal on the Cooper River should provide some more of that waterfront experience on the Charleston peninsula. Already, Waterfront Park is being extended for public access in front of a hotel that’s nearing completion on the Cooper. King Street is its own marvel.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:12 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 9 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
King Street is rather bit monotonous to me. It doesn't have the tree canopy, park benches, outdoor restaurant seating, fountains, performing arts center, park with stone walkways, waterfall, massive and unique pedestrian bridge, baseball stadium, and arena nearby like Main Street in Greenville. Main Street even has an ice skating rink.

I think the architecture on the older buildings is generally nicer than the old buildings in downtown Charleston including the churches.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
A lot of people have said Greenville’s downtown is wonderful but that that’s pretty much it. They need to remember the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Mentioning Falls Park would be double-dipping on the downtown.

I just saw Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson listed as one place on a list yesterday. That should make some area boosters happy. It was a list of places that have the most migraine headache sufferers.
Most people who only like the downtown tend to have the same specific political views. They are generally big fans of cities like Asheville and Raleigh. They wouldn't like most of the areas outside of downtown in Charleston. I don't recall you talking about the areas outside of downtown much. You referred to it as "suburban sprawl".

Here are some things other than Main Street and Falls Park to consider:

Greenville is one of the few metros in the US with a monadnock (single mountain), Paris Mountain, and a mountainish state park within 15 minutes of the downtown (Paris Mountain State Park). Huntsville Alabama is the only other city that I can think of that has one. Paris Mountain State Park has miles of hiking and mountain biking trails, 3 small lakes, a whitewater creek, and two historic CCC dams.

Lake Robinson is one of the most scenic in metro lakes in the country.

There is a small zoo near downtown Greenville that you walk to from Main Street through Falls Park, Cancer Survivors Park and Cleveland Park. I can't think of another city with a zoo in walking distance from downtown.

Woodruff Road is one of the premiere shopping roads in the southeast, and Haywood Mall is as nice as any indoor mall in the country for most people. It is nicer than the two malls in Charleston.

Greenville is the largest metro on the east side of the Blue Ridge mountains. It is the largest metro near most of the best whitewater rafting / kayaking rivers in the southeast on the east side and the largest metro near the highest density of waterfalls on the east coast. It is the largest metro near the two clearest lakes of some size, Jocassee and Keowee, on the east coast. The size of Jocasse, Keowee, Hartwell combined would be larger than most lakes in the south.

There are 7 state parks within 60 miles of each other around highway 11 along with the car accessible state high point, Sassfras Mountain, has more expansive views than the high points in NC, TN and GA. Three of these state parks have quaint furnished cabins.

Greenville seems to generally get the first SC location of chain restaurants and retail.

Furman University typicall makes lists of most beautiful college campuses. The lake part of the campus is basically a city park. It is arguably the most scenic city park in the south with Paris Mountain in the background and a bell tower on a little peninsula.

Clemson has a college football atmosphere, tailgating, stadium, and traditions second to none in this country. College football lives here.

The Upstate has two national military parks, one national historic site, 3 state historic sites, the John C Calhoun mansion, Stumphouse Tunnel, petrogylphs and other history stuff.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-27-2023 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-28-2023, 07:01 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Most people who only like the downtown tend to have the same specific political views. They are generally big fans of cities like Asheville and Raleigh. They wouldn't like most of the areas outside of downtown in Charleston. I don't recall you talking about the areas outside of downtown much. You referred to it as "suburban sprawl".

Greenville is one of the few metros in the US with a monadnock (single mountain), Paris Mountain, and a mountainish state park within 15 minutes of the downtown (Paris Mountain State Park). Huntsville Alabama is the only other city that I can think of that has one. Paris Mountain State Park has miles of hiking and mountain biking trails, 3 small lakes, a whitewater creek, and two historic CCC dams.

There is a small zoo near downtown Greenville that you walk to from Main Street through Falls Park, Cancer Survivors Park and Cleveland Park. I can't think of another city with a zoo in walking distance from downtown.

Woodruff Road is one of the premiere shopping roads in the southeast, and Haywood Mall is as nice as any indoor mall in the country for most people. It is nicer than the two malls in Charleston.

Greenville is the largest metro on the east side of the Blue Ridge mountains. It is the largest metro near most of the best whitewater rafting / kayaking rivers in the southeast on the east side and the largest metro near the highest density of waterfalls on the east coast. It is the largest metro near the two clearest lakes of some size, Jocassee and Keowee, on the east coast. The size of Jocasse, Keowee, Hartwell combined would be larger than most lakes in the south.

There are 7 state parks within 60 miles of each other around highway 11 along with the car accessible state high point, Sassfras Mountain, has more expansive views than the high points in NC, TN and GA. Three of these state parks have quaint furnished cabins.

Greenville seems to generally get the first SC location of chain restaurants and retail.

Furman University typicall makes lists of most beautiful college campuses. The lake part of the campus is basically a city park. It is arguably the most scenic city park in the south with Paris Mountain in the background and a bell tower on a little peninsula.

Clemson has a college football atmosphere, tailgating, stadium, and traditions second to none in this country. College football lives here.

The Upstate has two national military parks, one national historic site, 3 state historic sites, the John C Calhoun mansion, Stumphouse Tunnel, petrogylphs and other history stuff.

I need to get back up that way.. have not been up there in awhile but continue to hear good things..

Old 11-28-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Yet it didn’t make the list. Sprawl is outside of every southern American city’s downtown. I don’t feel like making a bucket list of what the Charleston area has.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:09 AM

Also, different strokes, but I’ve never heard or seen King Street described as monotonous. And I don’t care for mountains blocking my view of the sunset.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:02 AM

The Blue Ridge and Paris Mountain can't block the sunset. Paris is north of town. The mountains are a distance away. Seeing the Blue Ridge in the distance is art therapy.

Do you think there are 15 cities better than Charleston in the south? They got an Atlanta outer suburb no. 1. My neurologist is in Johns Creek. It's a nice area but can be described as everywhere USA. You don't agree with this ranking.

A ranking should break cities out by region, coastal, in or around Blue Ridge, and in between.

I like all of the Blue Ridge cities, Greenville, Roanoke, Frederick, Nooga, Huntsville, Knoxville, even Asheville.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-28-2023 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-28-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The Blue Ridge and Paris Mountain can't block the sunset. Paris is north of town. The mountains are a distance away. Seeing the Blue Ridge in the distance is art therapy.

Do you think there are 15 cities better than Charleston in the south? They got an Atlanta outer suburb no. 1. My neurologist is in Johns Creek. It's a nice area but can be described as everywhere USA. You don't agree with this ranking.

A ranking should break cities out by region, coastal, in or around Blue Ridge, and in between.

I like all of the Blue Ridge cities, Greenville, Roanoke, Frederick, Nooga, Huntsville, Knoxville, even Asheville.
I don’t get bent out of shape over a city or town ranking higher than Charleston on a good list. List schmlist. Looking out into the Charleston Harbor and into the Atlantic Ocean beyond from Waterfront Park is more therapeutic to some than seeing mountains in the distance, including when huge cargo ships are coming in and going back out to sea. Here’s an article about Charleston’s relationship with the water and plans in the making that might make you feel better.

https://www.live5news.com/2023/11/27...ing-peninsula/

Old 11-29-2023, 11:09 AM

You posted this list. I assume because Greenville wasn't on it.

What makes Charleston better than Savannah, Wilmington, Jacksonville, and Hampton Roads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina