Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times

Advertisements

How do they compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:04 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,548,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
How do they compare?

Easy enough.. NC has the highest taxes of any community in the Southeastern part of the US.

I lived in NC, then moved to SC, no brainer, SC MUCH CHEAPER.
I still work in NC (I live by the state line) and have to pay my employment taxes to NC, they are high, compared to what I would pay SC if I worked in SC.

Real estate taxes in SC are minimum compared to NC.
Employment taxes are way less in SC than in NC.
GAS taxes in NC are very high, their gas runs 10-15 cents more a gallon on average than ours does. I see these 2 costs of living every day since I live in one state SC, and work in the other state NC.

If I had the choice I would select SC over NC for total cost of living.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:07 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,690 times
I'm not sure the comparison is that clear-cut. Many factors such as property tax, sales tax, etc are to some degree dependent upon what county you live in. About 9 years ago, we moved from a rural NC county to a coastal SC county. The property tax on a 2 year old Prelude jumped immediately from about $50 to $430. Also, keep in mind that all state controlled taxes are currently in play, as states try to deal with huge deficits. Both NC and SC are in real trouble meeting budgets. Here is a decent comparison of state taxes. It's prepared primarily for retirees and may be a year or so old, but still a good reference.

You will also find significant differences in the cost of insurance. Insurance companies are regulated far more closely in NC. In SC, they pretty much own the insurance commission. When we moved, our 6-month SC auto insurance bill was higher than our 12-month auto insurance bill in NC. Same auto, same coverage, same provider, different state. Homeowners insurance has also gone crazy, but primarily due to relative proximity to the coast and the insurance providers' ongoing threat to pull out altogether if they cannot control their own rates.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 29,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Easy enough.. NC has the highest taxes of any community in the Southeastern part of the US.

I lived in NC, then moved to SC, no brainer, SC MUCH CHEAPER.
I still work in NC (I live by the state line) and have to pay my employment taxes to NC, they are high, compared to what I would pay SC if I worked in SC.

Real estate taxes in SC are minimum compared to NC.
Employment taxes are way less in SC than in NC.
GAS taxes in NC are very high, their gas runs 10-15 cents more a gallon on average than ours does. I see these 2 costs of living every day since I live in one state SC, and work in the other state NC.

If I had the choice I would select SC over NC for total cost of living.
Hope this helps.

Excellent Info. Thanks!!!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,507 times
It's no secret that SC taxes are lower than NC taxes

...It's also no secret that SC is collectively more backwoods/backwards and is significantly less advanced in many areas because it doesn't have the money to do what needs and should be done.

You'll also find that NC has better education, more to do, many places you may need a car less or even not at all, insurance will be lower, healthcare will be better and cost less, and you get paid better. You'll see many professionals and well paid people in Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greenville, Winston-Salem, Highpoint, etc. You'll also see that you can find a decent place for 500$ just like in SC.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
It's no secret that SC taxes are lower than NC taxes

...It's also no secret that SC is collectively more backwoods/backwards and is significantly less advanced in many areas because it doesn't have the money to do what needs and should be done.

You'll also find that NC has better education, more to do, many places you may need a car less or even not at all, insurance will be lower, healthcare will be better and cost less, and you get paid better. You'll see many professionals and well paid people in Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greenville, Winston-Salem, Highpoint, etc. You'll also see that you can find a decent place for 500$ just like in SC.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you overall. Simply put, you get what you pay for.

But you'll need a car in NC, no question about that.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you overall. Simply put, you get what you pay for.

But you'll need a car in NC, no question about that.
Not necessarily. I got by in Charlotte without a car, and 8 out of 10 of my friends did as well. Raleigh is survivable without it, but it hasn't reached full desirability level there yet. I actually think Winston-Salem and that area is pretty good in that regard as well. I believe Durham is actually going to build a rail transit network that will cover more miles than Atlanta's.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Not necessarily. I got by in Charlotte without a car, and 8 out of 10 of my friends did as well. Raleigh is survivable without it, but it hasn't reached full desirability level there yet. I actually think Winston-Salem and that area is pretty good in that regard as well. I believe Durham is actually going to build a rail transit network that will cover more miles than Atlanta's.
I really wouldn't recommend it for people moving there. I mean it's doable and I had a friend that did it, but things are so much more convenient with one, especially in a low-density, spread-out city like Charlotte.

And how in the world is Durham going to build a rail network bigger than MARTA? The place isn't big enough to sustain one, not even light rail. Heck, it will even take Charlotte a couple of decades to have more than 48 miles of rail and it already has a line in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina