Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:19 AM

239 posts, read 702,043 times

Advertisements

boric acid mixed with a little sugar around a windowsill works well too....but ever since i put out the fire ant pellets with my garden spreader they have been long gone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,590 times
I moved back to NE after four years in SC; and its nice to not have to deal with "Palmetto bugs" aka cockroaches and fire ants anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,845 times
Default Question re the palmetto bug solution offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Other than the name and the size...the main difference between a **** roach and a palmetto bug...is that the larger palmetto bugs can fly......just imagine one of those suckers landing on your head instead of crawling under your carpet.......

When I lived in an apartment...I used a mix of baking soda and powdered sugar to eliminate them......they are attracted by the powdered sugar...and eat both the sugar and baking soda...the baking soda binds them...and they evenually die.......I've heard they explode...but the best part is that then the other roaches in the nest eat them and suffer the same fate...as a matter of fact...I never used the building exterminator and I never saw a roach...(1/3 powdered sugar to 2/3 baking soda)
Will this solution hurt my cats?? I have two who are always gobbling up anything I leave about, but I'm tired of even the 2-3 I get per summer in NY.

After reading this thread, I doubt I could handle living in a warmer climate. These things freak me out. And the fire ants sound horrible. I freeze when I see them and have to get my strength up to get my shoe. I wasted hours tonight being upset. I finally gave up and shut down for the night and it flew into the bathroom when I was on the toilet! Stupid bugs! I got this one thank God. Now I can rest.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,829,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker9 View Post
After reading this thread, I doubt I could handle living in a warmer climate...
You should know that, as our state bird, Palmetto Bugs are a protected species. Violators found harrassing or feeding them can be punished by fines or deportation...

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,038 times
Pawleysdude,
LOL! You're a riot! Love it!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
so can i take it that the further away from the water you are the less the bugs or am i wrong. i figured since you said they were attracted to water. we are looking at buying a home somewhere around sumter..
HAHAHAHAH Yeah no! I live in Aiken, SC. There's NO water anywhere near where I live. My entire development is sand and has been in a drought for years.

We moved into our house last year. We had it built. We have had an interesting variety of critters.....the buggy kind. First we had an invasion of crickets. The cats had a good time playing them. We would found legs separated from the bodies. Weirdo cats! Our Yorkie liked them for a snack.

Then the millipede invasion happened. Those freaking things creeped me out! They'd be on the kitchen wall which was sooooo freaking gross! I wanted the crickets back!

We've only had 3 Palmetto Bugs in the house. When we had our termite annual inspection, we asked about them since we're from the North. Palmetto Bugs are American Cockroaches....disgusting creatures that they are. The North has the German species and don't live and move about the same as the species down here. I can't remember what he said they were. But the ones here don't go for the dirty places like the German ones.

The thing that bothers me are the Black Widows. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE spiders. HATE them! And of course I keep finding those wretched beasts on my patio, front porch, and garage. I wish this heat would bake them suckers! LOL

Uh Fire Ants....Those are another evil rotten beast. They don't even serve a purpose. At least, dragonflies are pretty! Grasshoppers have that cute Jiminey Cricket guy from Disney. Maybe Disney needs to make a character out of Fire Ants.....Yeah I don't think that would work either. They are evil....just pure evil...

Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 AM

22 posts, read 60,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
HAHAHAHAH Yeah no! I live in Aiken, SC. There's NO water anywhere near where I live. My entire development is sand and has been in a drought for years.

We moved into our house last year. We had it built. We have had an interesting variety of critters.....the buggy kind. First we had an invasion of crickets. The cats had a good time playing them. We would found legs separated from the bodies. Weirdo cats! Our Yorkie liked them for a snack.

Then the millipede invasion happened. Those freaking things creeped me out! They'd be on the kitchen wall which was sooooo freaking gross! I wanted the crickets back!

We've only had 3 Palmetto Bugs in the house. When we had our termite annual inspection, we asked about them since we're from the North. Palmetto Bugs are American Cockroaches....disgusting creatures that they are. The North has the German species and don't live and move about the same as the species down here. I can't remember what he said they were. But the ones here don't go for the dirty places like the German ones.

The thing that bothers me are the Black Widows. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE spiders. HATE them! And of course I keep finding those wretched beasts on my patio, front porch, and garage. I wish this heat would bake them suckers! LOL

Uh Fire Ants....Those are another evil rotten beast. They don't even serve a purpose. At least, dragonflies are pretty! Grasshoppers have that cute Jiminey Cricket guy from Disney. Maybe Disney needs to make a character out of Fire Ants.....Yeah I don't think that would work either. They are evil....just pure evil...
Now you hit my "sweet spot." Guess SC is not the best place to relocate when ya are cursed with arachaphobia (me)!? I loathe spiders of all kinds, but, at the very least, the black widows usually stick to their messy nests.

Was attracted to the great property deals--and lower cost of living--in SC, but now I'm thinkin' I just should sit tight here in Littleton, Colorado. Only thing we lack is an ocean <dang!>

Old 07-30-2011, 10:26 AM

334 posts, read 626,253 times
these darn bugs are all over below the mason dixon line. They're cockroaches. Go to lowes and get the big jug of Ortho Home defense max. spray it at the base of every wall in your house and esp under sinks , and around your outside doors.
I'm with you...ewe! I lived in Fl. 20 years, this stuff works there, it'll work in SC too. At least it's working for me. Moved to HHI SC July first and , I kid you not, before the moving guys got here I had the entire house sprayed! Just go get it, use it every 3 months or so and rest easy.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckland View Post
Now you hit my "sweet spot." Guess SC is not the best place to relocate when ya are cursed with arachaphobia (me)!? I loathe spiders of all kinds, but, at the very least, the black widows usually stick to their messy nests.

Was attracted to the great property deals--and lower cost of living--in SC, but now I'm thinkin' I just should sit tight here in Littleton, Colorado. Only thing we lack is an ocean <dang!>
By sticking to their nest you mean they're out in plain sight. We spray our porch and patio frequently and squish the disgusting things. We find them in the garage often and we never open the garage.

Don't let the low cost of living make you think everything in SC is paradise. I do live in a nice area, but man what I wouldn't give for a decent slice of pizza! Or some good pretzels.

Oh and I'm 3 hours from the ocean. When I was there in April, Edisto Beach had sons of jellyfish. Over the summer there have been numerous jellyfish and manowar warnings. And it's been really hot and humid. A day on the beach when it's 100 degrees? Ummmm thanks but no thanks....LOL

Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM

22 posts, read 60,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
these darn bugs are all over below the mason dixon line. They're cockroaches. Go to lowes and get the big jug of Ortho Home defense max. spray it at the base of every wall in your house and esp under sinks , and around your outside doors.
I'm with you...ewe! I lived in Fl. 20 years, this stuff works there, it'll work in SC too. At least it's working for me. Moved to HHI SC July first and , I kid you not, before the moving guys got here I had the entire house sprayed! Just go get it, use it every 3 months or so and rest easy.
Thanks, sounds like good advice. BTW, do you know the typical costs of having a professional exterminator to come out, or do you not find that necessary, with that Othro max?

Where is "HHI" SC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina