Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:11 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,469,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I would trade all those for a good chicken-fried steak or great Tex-Mex -- here in Dallas you can have both at the same time at Matt's in Lakewood:

Guidelive.com

" Chicken-fried steak puts the "Tex" in Tex-Mex, whether served country-style (smothered in cream gravy and accompanied by fries and Texas toast) or cowboy-style (topped with chili, cheese and onions and served with beans and rice). The huge portion lives up to its "monster" designation; even a more modest lunch order featured a generous fork-tender piece of beef sheathed in a crispy, golden batter coating. "
I wish there was good Tex-Mex place in Charleston. I've been hoping to find a southwestern place with good fajitas but have yet to find any. The two I went to were very third rate. You wouldn't think it would be that hard. After all, how difficult it is to saute chicken pieces, and veggies and serve it with good sauteed onions, peppers and some good Salsa and Guacamole along with some hot homemade tortillas? The last time I had decent ones were years ago and I just followed a recipe in a cook book. They came out great but it was a big production. I'd rather pay to have someone else prepare them in a restaurant.... but I'd want them to taste at least as good as the ones I made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,469,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
That's what I said when I first heard of it but I had some and it is very good. I thought it was a southern dish because I saw Paula Deen cook it on one of her shows. lol Here is her recipe.

4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. To serve, cut into slices and serve warm
I bought a pricey tomato pie at one of the restaurants/farmers Market places on the main drag in John's Island and it definitely had cheese and it had a lot of mayonaise and butter. It was very rich.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM

138 posts, read 421,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I would trade all those for a good chicken-fried steak or great Tex-Mex -- here in Dallas you can have both at the same time at Matt's in Lakewood:

Guidelive.com

" Chicken-fried steak puts the "Tex" in Tex-Mex, whether served country-style (smothered in cream gravy and accompanied by fries and Texas toast) or cowboy-style (topped with chili, cheese and onions and served with beans and rice). The huge portion lives up to its "monster" designation; even a more modest lunch order featured a generous fork-tender piece of beef sheathed in a crispy, golden batter coating. "
Amen to that! I live in Connecticut (moved from FL) and would also trade all those foods for chicken fried steak (or chicken fried chicken) and Mexican or Tex-Mex. I miss fried chicken (everything up here is over battered and over fried). I miss Chick-Fil-A and Sweet Tomatoes, sweet tea baked in the sun. I mostly miss sitting out on the deck of a restaurant overlooking any body of water. You just can't beat good southern food.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,456,327 times
Has anyone mentioned pecan pie -- doesn't get any better than that!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 PM

44 posts, read 93,275 times
Ever hear of a 'Panzarotti"? Delicious!!! Originated in Camden, NJ, not a place you want to eat nowadays, or visit, but they sell them in pizzerias in south jersey. Think of a large, maybe a very large man's fist, fried pizza pillow! Yummy cheese and sauce on the inside a crunchy fried crust! That's good stuff! I want one NOW!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,921,202 times
THe tomatoe pie in the north isn't Paula Dean's.
Tomatoe pie in the south is totally different. It is made in a pie shell.
Tomatoe pie in the north is
a fresh made PIZZA pie dough, they spread xtra virgin olive oil on the top of it, topped with tomatoe sauce, then fresh sliced tomatoes and some delicious herbs, including basil. (I like the fresh basil)
If you bought this down south, which I don't think they make it down here,
you would buy it at your favorite pizza palor.
It is really good, and people who love tomatoes or have a dairy intolerence order it all
the time up north.
You all could try it at home, especially when the tomatoes are ripe(if yall grow them) just
call a pizza place and tell them you just want to buy a dough.
Pick up the dough and put some olive oil on the top, tomatoe sauce, and your fresh tomatoes and basil, mabey some garlic.
OK, I'm ending this, I'm on a diet for summer.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Brown gravy is northern, white gravy is southern!
Don't forget hamburger steak w/ vidalia onions and brown gravy poured over the top. I like the gravy poured over my fries too. I may be mistaken, but I think this is typically a Southern meal.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,876,602 times
I didn't see where anyone mentioned baked macaroni and cheese pie..... that is one of my most requested recipes from friends outside of the South. My grandparents were part owners of the Friendly Cafeteria in Columbia SC for years and I kept as many of my grandma's old, handwritten recipes as I could. Catfish stew was my grandfathers specialty but I've never been able to get mine to come out exactly right. I love collards cooked with streak of lean/fatback and fried cabbage with stewed tomatoes on top. I think skillet fried corn cakes are specifically Southern as well. I never could really understand the bagels thing from up North......bagels seem real dough-y to me unless they are squished and toasted but my husband loves the "authentic" ones....he says they are boiled. I LOVE the Italian up North...... Tony DiNapolis in NYC has amazing food. I don't eat for a full day before going so that I can really load up on all of my favs! Oh, and I really love Italian ricotta cheesecake. It isn't so sweet and thick like NY style. And I do like really toasted bagles with thick cream cheese and lox! The salmon and cream cheese blend with capers (no onions) is great. I think I'd like it even better on wheat toast...

BTW...the Lee Brothers are going to be in Greenville this weekend promoting a new Southern cuisine cookbook. They are offering demonstrations. I don't think I'm allowed to post a link but if you need any help finding info, DM me and I'll private message you with the info. Sounds like something cool to do on a Sunday afternoon, since we are on the subject.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,031,372 times
all i know is 2 things I really miss since we moved here from WI a year ago. Cheese Curds and Candy raisens. The curds we pick up when we go back for a visit, and that candy is no longer available anywhere ( was more of a midwest thing since the 70's or so ).

Guess some tradeoffs had to be made to get away from snow/cold....

Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM

728 posts, read 1,783,668 times
Maryland- Thisck sliced tomato, cheese and mayo sandwiches on a hot summer day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina