Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:27 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,390,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Anyone here Love The Beacon!!??
The Beacon is extremely overrated, in my opinion. I tried it after hearing that it is some kind of international icon - undoubtedly self-proclaimed. It is more greasey than anything I have ever seen, and the interior of the place is disgustingly dirty. If people can get their food down, keep it down, and enjoy it, I guess their stomachs and arteries must be stronger than mine. Having said that, I am glad for those who do like it, that it seems to still be doing good business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 06:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
Can't testify as to the quality of Maurice's BBQ since I would not eat there or buy his products due to his racist/political views. But I will say SC BBQ is the pits, especially that "rice and hash." NC BBQ, on th other hand, is a different story.
LOL, I live in North Carolina, and I have to suffer through all that NC barbeque propaganda. It is amazing to me that many North Carolinians honestly think that NC is the only place that cooks BBQ the way it does. I've lived in several places in North Carolina, and the BBQ is cooked no differently than in South Carolina or Georgia. Vinegar, Tomato and Pepper in the east, and some odd ketchup-concoction in the west. It's basically like saying that you think McDonalds is better in North Carolina - which makes it pretty evident that you are just trolling here.

The only difference being the Columbia area has the "Carolina gold" mustard-based sauce, and the fact that we eat hash and rice - which is an acquired taste, but IMO, is better than the BBQ itself.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,787 times
It's been a few weeks since I've had maurices,think I'll have to stop there this week.
Haven't had shealy's but everyone says good things about it,one of these days I'll get around to trying it.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,911,250 times
dang i love mustard based sauce and hash and rice,

having lived in Texas and being from SC, i love both so much as well as memphis style

Old 04-30-2007, 03:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,293,787 times
After reading this thread had a craving for has and rice,finally got it today..mm mm good...lol

Old 04-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
It's been a few weeks since I've had maurices,think I'll have to stop there this week.
Haven't had shealy's but everyone says good things about it,one of these days I'll get around to trying it.
I have some shealy's sauce in my fridge, and I like it better than Maurice's. It's similar, but sort of tangy. I've never eaten at the restaurant, though.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 PM

32 posts, read 107,536 times
I think Maurices is ok but I like his brothers BBQ in Charleston better.. KEEP FLYIN THE FLAG MAURICE!!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:31 AM

73 posts, read 437,909 times
Default The Flag

I keep hearing there are various reasons for the flag. As a minority, would I be unwelcome at Maurice's? I have driven by and often wondered. Not looking to get locked up because someone says the wrong thing to me.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 AM

168 posts, read 695,038 times
Never been to Maurice's, but I'm heading to Shealy's on Friday. Can't wait.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln S View Post
I keep hearing there are various reasons for the flag. As a minority, would I be unwelcome at Maurice's? I have driven by and often wondered. Not looking to get locked up because someone says the wrong thing to me.
I seriously doubt you'd be unwelcome there. You might be offended by Maurice, as a person, though. But Maurice is a businessman too, just a very old-fashioned and stubborn one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina