Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post

I don't claim to be a food historian, but I suspect you'll find quite a few who would take issue with that statement. I've read many derivations, some of them dating back to the 1600's from the Spanish word barbacoa, referring to the cooking of whole pigs on something resembling a spit over a pit. Apparently, it was a common practice in the Caribbean when Spanish explorers showed up on the scene. I think Texas-style ribs came a few years later.
Exactly right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Quote:
Geechie - I'm not sure where "up here" is, but our neighbors of nawthern descent, primarily NY/NJ are forever getting ready to barbeque some brats and maybe a few weiners on their grill. I had to explain to my poor grandson what a weiner was, he'd never heard that term. (Actually, I think he had heard a "similar" term at school and was seriously concerned about what was about to happen...) Our very first week in this neighborhood was scheduled for a volunteer neighborhood clean-up, with the HOA having a bbq for all participants. Since I didn't yet have my smoker, I couldn't wait. You guessed it, we "bbq'ed" weiners and brats.... Sorry, guess it's just me but that abuse of the term really grates on me.

I don't claim to be a food historian, but I suspect you'll find quite a few who would take issue with that statement. I've read many derivations, some of them dating back to the 1600's from the Spanish word barbacoa, referring to the cooking of whole pigs on something resembling a spit over a pit. Apparently, it was a common practice in the Caribbean when Spanish explorers showed up on the scene. I think Texas-style ribs came a few years later.
NY, NJ are "Out East."

Spread Eagle, Hurley, Copper Harbor: That's "Up North" (Or "Up Nort" for you purists.)

The land of the brat, the beer, and girls who know that a Lopi will out- perform a Vermont Castings:

Wisconsin.

And I do believe the original derivation of barbeque is indeed Caribbean.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
hahaha! I could imagine the looks! What our unfortunate northern friends don't realize is that boiled peanuts are a gift from the gods!

And yes, BBQ is a noun, not a verb. Big pet peeve of mine as well.
English has a way out of making verbs out of all nouns.

Boiled peanuts are indeed a gift: I buy 5#'s when I leave from my cousin's stand on 17N, and none of them survive to make the Wi line when I drive.

FYI, boiled peanuts are also a staple in the Phillipines, and in the cuisine of NE Brazil

Old 04-25-2009, 05:55 PM

177 posts, read 971,416 times
Shealy's BBQ Shealy's Bar-B-Que House in Batesburg-Leesville has a great buffet which includes mustard based and vinegar & pepper. They also fancy themselves for serving "pulley bones" which is just where the chicken breast is cut to where the wishbone is intact. You have to ask for them, they're not on the buffet.

But my favorite place in S.C. or anywhere else for BBQ is Big D's in Hemingway, which serves the vinegar & pepper style. It is on Hwy. 41 right on the Hemingway-Johnsonville line. They used to have a restaurant in Myrtle Beach but it closed a few years ago. They raise their own pork so it is super fresh. For the real BBQ enthusiasts they have real, fat, crunchy pork skins. Gotta have a few of those. Unfortunately, they are only open on Friday and Saturday and it's packed from open to close.
Here's link for their info: big d's bbq hemingway, sc - Google Maps

No matter if it's from the Carolina's, Texas or in-between, or pork or beef, I don't think I've ever met BBQ that I didn't like.

btw, my girlfriend is from N.J. and she does refer to "having a BBQ" no matter what is on the grill.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrich View Post
btw, my girlfriend is from N.J. and she does refer to "having a BBQ" no matter what is on the grill.
Yeah, I know a few people from New England who say this.
I believe it is common for them to use, "Have a barbecue", synonymous with "Have a cookout," like having friends over and using the grill.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
Quote:
jlrich confessed: my girlfriend is from N.J. and she does refer to "having a BBQ" no matter what is on the grill...
Better start trainin' her, I think there are laws in NC against that...

Thanks for the info on Big D's. I used to eat at the one in MB, but didn't know he had another one in Hemingway. If it's the same bbq, it's worth the drive.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
Quote:
Geechee North wrote: The land of the brat, the beer, and girls who know that a Lopi will out- perform a Vermont Castings: Wisconsin...
My bad for over-generalizing "nawtherners". We don't get a lot of migrants from Wisconsin down this way. From all the good things I've heard about Wisconsin, I can understand why they're happy to visit here, then head on back to their piece of heaven.

Quote:
English has a way out of making verbs out of all nouns..
Yeah, I was googling some research the other nite and came to the same conclusion...

Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 AM

[quote=PawleysDude;8520478]My bad for over-generalizing "nawtherners". We don't get a lot of migrants from Wisconsin down this way. From all the good things I've heard about Wisconsin, I can understand why they're happy to visit here, then head on back to their piece of heaven./quote]

Most of 'em that bail go W.- either Arizona, or else Oregon/Washington.

They're learning the Carolinas, though.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM

177 posts, read 971,416 times
Quote:
Better start trainin' her, I think there are laws in NC against that...
LOL

Quote:
Thanks for the info on Big D's. I used to eat at the one in MB, but didn't know he had another one in Hemingway. If it's the same bbq, it's worth the drive.
Same one...the original location. That's where their home is, just down the road.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,647 times
I just want to say that Lexington-style BBQ changed my life! We have some great Q joints over here,but they have nothing on the stuff that's made there.

I've driven by Maurice's and Bessinger's both,but I didn't stop at either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina