Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lexington-style BBQ changed my life!
Can I get an amen, HALLELUIAH!! It is fit for a feast of the gods...

Ever been to the Lexington BBQ Festival? 100,000 disciples worshipping at Mecca...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 12:31 AM

807 posts, read 2,520,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Can I get an amen, HALLELUIAH!! It is fit for a feast of the gods...

Ever been to the Lexington BBQ Festival? 100,000 disciples worshipping at Mecca...
No I haven't,but I sure would love to go sometime. Heck, I even thought about staying in Lexington after having BBQ there!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I even thought about staying in Lexington after having BBQ there...
Can't go wrong in Lexington. Just got back from a 3-day weekend there, including meals at the BBQ Center and Speedy Lohr's BBQ. Would've hit a third one if it hadn't been for a family reception. There's a pound in the fridge and a couple more in the freezer. Those will have to hold me till the next trip...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
you guys seem like a good source for some BBQ info. I was born and raised in NE Kansas / Kansas City. Therefore, huge appreciator of BBQ. I've recently acquired a small smoker and want to try making my own. Does anyone know where in Greenville, I can buy smoking wood? Like hickory, apple, pecan, etc. - logs, pellets, chunks - any form. Please let me know if you have any info. I'm trying to smoke some ribs for the 4th!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Hey KCtoSC - Unless you have an awfully good smoker ($$$), I've found it very difficult to cook only with wood. I've got a smoker with an offset firebox and trying to maintain consistent temps w/ only wood was a serious frustration. I recommend using a good brand of lump charcoal - Royal Oak and Kingsford both make good products - for your primary fire. I then use hardwood chunks (not chips) to create the smoke and flavor. You can usually buy hickory chunks at most hardware stores and good groceries, other woods can be a challenge to find but are available online.

I wrap a couple hardwood chunks in HD foil, poke one or two holes in it, and lay it directly on the burning charcoal. If the wood starts to flame up, I grab 'em out with tongs and replace 'em. BTW, most of the smoke flavor will be imparted in the first 3-4 hours. After that, the bark on the meat gets in the way. I don't bother adding wood after that time. Enjoy, and let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,777,553 times
People from the mid-west really do say they are gonna BBQ when they...
Are talking about throwing some burgers & hot dogs on the grill.
Are pulled pork sandwiches with slaw in the sandwich common in the carolina's?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,800,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Are pulled pork sandwiches with slaw in the sandwich common in the carolina's?

North Carolinians typically put slaw on the BBQ sandwiches, and use Brunswick Stew as a side - two things you probably won't find in South Carolina.

Slaw on BBQ sandwiches seemed repulsive to me at first - I don't like slaw - but it grew on me, now I prefer it. Brunswick Stew can't compare to South Carolina's hash & rice, though.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,482,700 times
To me, barbecuing (cooking on the grill) and having a barbecue (cooking on the grill and having people over) are different from cooking barbecue (cooking over hardwood smoke) or eating barbecue (eating meat cooked over hardwood smoke).

I sometimes hear people call barbecuing "grilling out" or "cooking out." Six one way, half a dozen the other.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,800,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
To me, barbecuing (cooking on the grill) and having a barbecue (cooking on the grill and having people over) are different from cooking barbecue (cooking over hardwood smoke) or eating barbecue (eating meat cooked over hardwood smoke).

I sometimes hear people call barbecuing "grilling out" or "cooking out." Six one way, half a dozen the other.
You've allowed the sanctity of barbecue to be compromised.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 PM

197 posts, read 613,029 times
The BBQ Barn in North Augusta is really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina