Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,277 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are RN's. We have 2 daughters (8 & 5). I will be getting out of the Navy soon. I wanted to know if there are any RN's out there that can tell me where would be a good place to relocate for job opptunities. Currently I am thinking of Columbia, Greenville, Summerville, and Rockhill. Salary, homes(175-250k range), and school info would be helpful.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:59 PM

82 posts, read 392,086 times
Smile We Choose Summerville

My husband is an RN (Emergency...paramedic as well) and we are likewise looking to relocate to South Carolina (from NH...TOO COLD!!!)

We are primarily focusing on the Charleston area for our search. My husband will be pursuing a Master's degree and MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) offers his desired course of study (as does USC in Greenville?). MUSC Hospital is a Level I trauma center and appears to have a number of openings (depending on specialty). There are also quite a few other hospitals in the area (ie: Trident). We chose the Charleston area as opposed to Greenville to be closer to the coast (have never been more than 45minutes from the ocean!)

After much research (online, discussions with transplants, etc) we are leaning towards Summerville ourselves. The town is growing, but appears to have a quaint downtown. There are numerous new subdivisions/neighborhoods in your price range, with numerous amenities. The town is in the Dorchester 2 school district, which seems to be desirable in this area. (Check out www.greatschools.net for some helpful comparison figures!)

We are going down for a visit in a couple of weeks... I'll let you know what we think!

Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:20 PM

287 posts, read 1,462,550 times
Well, there is Lexington Medical Center in West Columbia, and also V.A. hospital in Columbia. My wife is a RN/BSN and had interviews for both places however took the the job offer at her first interview because its only 5 min. away from our house where we are moving in Lexington.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:57 AM

86 posts, read 612,217 times
I have lots of good info on schools for the Summerville http://www.dorchester2.k12.sc.us/education/district/district.php?sectionid=10198 (broken link)
and Charleston [url]http://www.charlestoncounty.org/[/url]
There are lots of Hospitals and more coming soon to our area. You can find a home in the price range you wanting and good schools in either Dorchestor 2 or Mount Pleasant ( a bit pricier)

Last edited by Darcysells4u; 04-06-2007 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2007, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 21,432 times
I am also an RN looking to relocate. I was thinking of the Summerville area. Could anyone recommend a good Hosp. to work in? I also am looking for a great neighborhood to raise my 7 yr. old. Is Summerville a good place to relocate too?

Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 21,432 times
Can anyone recommend a good area to raise children in Summerville or Mt. Pleasant area? We are planning on visiting in july and hope to relocate soon after. We are looking for a great family neighborhood and good schools. We are confused on where to look?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,159,240 times
Fort Mill, SC just south of Charlotte is building a new hospital. If you'd like info on the surrounding area let me know. There are a lot of nice communities nearby and the schools are considered some of the best.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,779,393 times
My Fiance has worked in the Radiology department at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte for 8 years. Most everyone that we know works at that hospital because they pay so much more than anywhere else. A lot of our friends travel up to 1 hour to work.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 14,642 times
If you are looking into charleston hospitals there is MUSC which is a teaching hospital and Roper saint francis is next door to MUSC. They are wonderful there and going for magnet status. They should get it from appearances. The turnover and staff satisfaction is great there.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,619,533 times
Columbia has a number of large hospitals, including a VA Hospital, an Army Hospital and the University of South Carolina School of Medicine. You will find that Columbia has one of the highest housing affordability indexes in the country so you can buy alot of house for not much money.

Columbia is 3rd in the region in housing affordability:

NAHB housing affordability index - May. 19, 2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina