Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 PM

235 posts, read 528,229 times

Advertisements

Of the four cities, Florence has the most economic growth of them but none of these cities are on par with other areas such as Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, Aiken and Hilton Head. I know that Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head see growth from tourism and Aiken and Rock Hill sees it from other major metro areas. Florence can benefit based on its location on the interstate and has good medical economy. The others I don't see having growth be cause of their location or too close to another metro such as Sumter and Orangeburg being close to Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Here (http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2007/09/29/news/12766932.txt - broken link) is what Orangeburg is pinning its hopes on. I would expect the current economic climate to slow things a bit though.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Florence is a charmless dump as is Sumter. O'burg has possibilities but a lot of us are waiting to see what happens with that Jafza (sp?) industrial park to which A. posted the helpful link. All these areas are surrounded by grinding poverty- that will take a lot to change.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
To be honest- Florence really is the crown jewel of that grouping. It is in a rural are of the state however it is not amidst the real poverty that surrounds Orangeburg and Sumter.

Orangeburg will probably grow but at the eastern edges nearer to where 95 and 26 meet. That is its real potential for growth.

All three are in Jim Clyburns House district- he is number 4 in the Democratic leadership in the house so look for every third man hole to be gilded and carry his name in the next few years.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
I'm of the opinion that "There is no hope." At least, none that is forseeable from where I'm sitting.

what can these areas provide that is desirable and profitable in the global economy?

Labor isn't cheap enough for manufacturing. You can only have so many "Logistics hubs." Demand isn't there for a golfing mecca. Land is either too inhospitable or too heavily cultivated to attract outdoorsmen (besides hunters/fishermen). An educated labor force isn't there for high-tech firms.

Not to mention, the ignorant electorate of these areas help foster an impractical, ideological political climate.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times
Last year I was flying with a senior executive from a MAJOR industrial firm in Greenville, SC. I live in Greenwood and we were discussing the stagnate economic climate for our state. His words are burned into my memory......he said, "South Carolina needs a few of Columbia's politicians to die before we will see growth in this state". Coming from a member of the business community responsible for bringing billions of dollars of industry to our state, that is very telling. Evidently the Old Boys network in Columbia refuses to do what it takes to move us into a competitive realm. I've given up hope for Greenwood. We are too far removed from the interstate and a good airport to be a viable choice for large industry. GSP is one of the top 3 most expensive airports in the nation!!!!!! You would think that alone would be a key objective to tackle. ATT just moved its entire headquarters from San Antonio to Dallas for the EXACT same reason.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Don't call them Columbia's politicians. Columbia's politicians for the most part are of a progressive mindset. It's the bone heads from the boonies that come in to meet in Columbia that are dragging us down and keeping us behind.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times
Where is Sanford from? I'm thinking Charleston, from where many political strings are pulled. I'm an independent with very conservative (fiscal) leanings but Sanford seems to be a very real part of the problem. I don't think it is only the folks from the "boonies", as you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina