Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM

86 posts, read 249,961 times

Advertisements

I just visited Hilton Head Island last week for the first time. I went in thinking it was going to be pretty lame and terrible, Well within the first hour I found i was taking in the island feeling and beauty. I stayed in Shipyard Plantation and absolutely loved it, although there was a lack of entertainment for my age (young 20s) i found myself entertaining myself on the beach and walking around the shops down on the beach streets. I went with a buddy and his folks just for a few days, prior to this, they wanted to retire in Myrtle Beach, but after visiting they were set on Hilton Head over Myrtle. I also have been to myrtle a few times, and thought it was nothing more than a half way tropical, kinda dirty, north eastern beach feel (ocean city, MD with palm trees) So i wanna hear some feedback on what people prefer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,207 times
Myrtle and HHI are two-different worlds. I like things about both of them. There is much more to do in Myrtle, but HHI has a more "exclusive" feel to it. You are right that there is a certain part of Myrtle along Ocean Blvd. that has that sort of "NE beach feel" (unless you wonder into a shag club).

While I like HHI, my compromise is usually to vacation in the Pawleys Island/Litchfield area. To me this is the best of both worlds: you are staying and going to the beach is a quieter, less developed area but are close enough to hop in the car to go into Myrtle for entertainment. So overall I prefer the Myrtle Beach area because there is more to do and you can still find nice beaches around.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,569 times
Myrtle Beach used to be soooo beautiful!! Certain areas of it still is nice, but unfortunatately like you said, it's dirty now. It's fallen on some hard times, I think because of the rapid growth and the shift in population, plus of course the extremely high unemployment. We also have a very large homeless group as well

I love how HHI tucks away the businesses behind walls of trees and shrubbery!! Pawleys and Litchfield is nice as well, as Innovator said. Definitely a prime retirement area! However, I love the outskirts of Charleston, personally.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 73,039 times
When I was young, I loved Myrtle Beach like nothing else. It's a great party atmosphere, lots of places to get crazy. It's all about fun. And I had so much fun in MB that I cannot even begin to describe it. I love MB and I still think MB is a great place.

Now that I am "older", I love HHI (I live on HHI) much more than MB even though I still travel to MB every year. HHI is much more relaxed. HHI for me is a more refined, laid back place. I just vibe with the whole place so much it scares me. If not for the environmental management, I don't think I would love it as much. I came here for a family vacation many years ago and HATED it. But there was nothing here back then. I am mid-40s and very lucky to be able to live here as it is now.

Both places have something special to offer. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
I like the way the businesses are tucked away behind the trees also -- in Bluffton too! The historic section of Bluffton is so quaint also--- around Calhoun St and down by the May River. The town has a quiet civilized feel about it. It doesn't swarm with cars with mean(must be red neck) drivers that honk at pedestrians who don't cross the road quickly enough for them like greater Charleston does. It is so walkable. It seems similar to the Old Village of Mt. Pleasant except with an actual town with businesses all sprinkled in amongst the residences. The only thing the area lacks is a Whole Foods store.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM

173 posts, read 680,650 times
I've never been to HHI so I cant speak on that, but Myrtle Beach is special in it's own way, although it does have it's good and bad points. The only bad points being that it's dirty nowadays, they took away the Pavillion and the Hard Rock theme park, it's seedy in alot of areas near the beach itself, and I dunno too much about crime part. However, the bright side is that it's soo much fun, vibrant, still nice looking, LOTS of places to eat. It's just a cool place to hang out. There aren't too many other places, if any like that in SC. When I move to FL in a few months, Myrtle Beach will be the only place in SC I will miss.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
I would say that if you want to "DO" then go to Myrtle Beach. If you want to "BE" then go to Hilton Head Island.

I have small kids so MB is a must for us. There's just so much to choose from there to keep them occupied. I know they wouldn't be nearly as happy (and therefore neither would hubby and I) at HHI.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,372 times
The surf is like a pond at HiltonHead. One can walk all day (maybe) in one direction at the GrandStrand.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:23 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,211 times
some of the nicest strippers I ever saw were in MB. You can get women like that in HHI.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
Have to say being a native and having visited both areas, I prefer to be just outside of MB. We have a summer place in Garden City Beach, which puts us within 15 mintues of South End with shopping and dining and 35 minutes of the North End with really good shopping and entertainment. Like a previous poster said, Pawley's and Litchfield are a nice compromise for a low-key beach experience but within driving distance of activity. I like have the OPTION to have activity and entertainment if I want to take advantage of it. A central location like Murrel's Inlet or Pawleys/Litchfield is a perfect combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina