Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 05:58 AM

18 posts, read 86,785 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are thinking of relocating from overpulated NJ to SC. I have two children (ages 5 & 7) and am looking for a very wooded area (want to escape the horrible overcrowding of NJ), decent schools, low crime, and fairly close to shopping. After LOTS of research and visiting in person, we have narrowed our search to Pickens and Anderson Counties. Is there anyone from that area that can tell me any negative and positive info on that area??? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,886 times
Might try Easley. Anderson county is having alot of Christian Exodus move there.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
Hi naturegirlsue!

I am not completely sure what to think about Marks' comment, since I have never met anyone in Anderson County who is in anyway affiliated with the "Christian Exodus." Anderson, by its very own nature is more politically conservative than Greenville, however this small group of individuals has made no impact on society there I can assure you.

Now on to your questions...

You were correct in narrowing your search down to Pickens and Anderson Counties. Those would have been my first choices as well. I love Anderson County for its rolling pastoral countryside and Pickens County for the incredibly beautiful foothills, mountains, and valleys. I would highly recommend looking around the Dacusville area of Pickens County. Home and land prices are lower, it is a fantasic "hidden" little paradise a very short drive from the mountains, and yet it is a relatively short drive to Easley (via S.C. 135) or Travelers Rest (via S.C. 186). You have a dream home to be proud of away from the hustle and bustle of the city, and yet you are a short drive away. I nearly purchased a home and acreage there myself not too long ago, but found a better (more convenient) deal in Greenville instead.

If you look in Anderson County, I recommend the Pelzer-West Pelzer-Williamston area. It is basically a split distance between Greenville and Anderson, but has small town shopping and plenty of open and wooded land still available.

If you want to be closer to the city, I would recommend looking around the Powdersville-Wren area of Anderson County and the Easley area of Pickens County. Of those two choices, I would go with Powdersville-Wren. It has the best schools with plenty of shopping and easy access to I-85 for much more.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM

18 posts, read 86,785 times
Hi Skyliner! Thaks so much for the GREAT info! I'm glad to see my findings seem to be right on. I'm so excited to relocate out of here. People are so money hungry and materialistic in these parts (Northern NJ). It was so refreshing to go down there and meet such nice people in the Pickens/Easley area when we visited over Thanksgiving.

Thanks Again!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM

153 posts, read 715,897 times
I would avoid southern Anderson County, unless you really want to be in the middle of nowhere. Anderson is a nice, small city- so you might want to live outside of there. You'd have access to pretty much everything you want nearby, and Gville isn't too far away... I know lots of people commute.

Belton is a nice small town. So is Pendleton... very historic- I think the whole town is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina