Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 14,709 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a single 23-year old female currently living in Indianapolis. Long story short, I just got out've a bad 2-year relationship. Lease is up in July and after that I would love to start fresh somewhere and just get out've the "hoosier" state. I have heard nothing but good things about South Carolina and would appreciate ANY good information about where to live, etc. etc.

I plan on driving down for a week to check it out (to make sure i feel comfortable enough) in August and hopefully a few months later be on my way down. I would love to live a short drive to the coast and close to rivers/parks to go for walks/runs. Bit of a commitaphobe(sp?) , so I am really not interested in buying a house yet, or even committing to sign a more than 6 month lease so I would hope there is an area close enough to the waterways that have these types of housing.

Again, ANY information would be great! I'm still doing my research. You can either respond here or send an e-mail - jmoore14@clarian.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,878,167 times
Hi Jmoore.
Jobs here are hard to find so you might want to let your employment drive your search. Cost of living is low here but even a little is too much when you don't have a pay check coming in. You may want to concentrate your search in Columbia (3 hours from the Coast) which will have more employment opportunities. S.C. is a great place to live and I hope that you find what you are looking for while here.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,563,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Hi Jmoore.
Jobs here are hard to find so you might want to let your employment drive your search. Cost of living is low here but even a little is too much when you don't have a pay check coming in. You may want to concentrate your search in Columbia (3 hours from the Coast) which will have more employment opportunities. S.C. is a great place to live and I hope that you find what you are looking for while here.
Funny, but from the parade of corporate announcements, I would have thought the Upstate would provide (relatively) better employment prospects than other parts of the state. Other than state government and the college(s), what drives employment in the Columbia area?

Upstate South Carolina (basically the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson metro area) has 4 true, full-length seasons and is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. There's a great diversity of types of housing, shopping, dining & arts opportunities here, plus events & festivals just about every weekend. There's also a great diversity of businesses and employers in the region, and very good medical facilities. A chain of lakes (mostly fed from mountain streams) in the western Upstate provides what is known as our "Freswater Coastline" - worth exploring!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM

50 posts, read 96,490 times
I would suggest the Columbia Metro area for you mainly because of the 2-3 hour drive to the beach, lake Murray, the vibrant downtown, and with so much to do! Also, i think you would like shopping options here and also the ability to walk the Columbia Canal then go into the vista to eat then head over to watch a USC baseball game at their amazing new stadium! Columbia has so much to do with the Convention Center, SC state museum, Cola Museum of art, and the Colonial Life Arena all downtown. Also, Columbia is growing by the minute. Columbia has things being built and planned like a new urban waterfront park, a huge update for Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, and not to mention all the amazing new stores and restaurants coming to Main Street, The Vista, and 5 points! I see that you don't want to buy a house soon so that leads me to believe that you want a condo or apartment and again, Columbia has just that with several new condos opening all over the city. Here is a map of the city with just a few of the finished,planned, and in progress structures or areas in downtown. With so much to do, I think Columbia is right for you!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 AM

683 posts, read 466,783 times
We've purchased property in Bluffton, and are looking forward to our move down in a few years. I have two kids still in college, but I am not encouraging them to move to the area because of the employment situation. However, if they do decide to move with us, what is the Hilton Head/Bluffton area like for young single 20 year olds? I'm assuming it is pretty much no-where? I'm thinking they might be better off in Jacksonville, FL which is only a 2.5 hour drive.

Thanks.
Suzanne
www.shopthegiftbasketstore.com

Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,878,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Funny, but from the parade of corporate announcements, I would have thought the Upstate would provide (relatively) better employment prospects than other parts of the state. Other than state government and the college(s), what drives employment in the Columbia area?

Upstate South Carolina (basically the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson metro area) has 4 true, full-length seasons and is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. There's a great diversity of types of housing, shopping, dining & arts opportunities here, plus events & festivals just about every weekend. There's also a great diversity of businesses and employers in the region, and very good medical facilities. A chain of lakes (mostly fed from mountain streams) in the western Upstate provides what is known as our "Freswater Coastline" - worth exploring!

Hey Upstate...... Based on the OPs criteria, I think Columbia is a better "fit". It is closer to the coast, which is a primary consideration it seems. Also, she is 23 and Columbia offers so much for people in their 20s. I lived there for a while in my 20s and the nightlife (anyone remember the Art bar??) was especially fun. Five Points on St. Paddy's day.... ah, walking down memory lane right now...... You know I am a big fan of Greenville but it is a better fit for families and older professionals, imho. And yes, I know Clemson is close by but I'm just fond of the Columbia experience for reasons stated. Any way you cut it, though, livin' in SC is livin' large!!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,563,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Hey Upstate...... Based on the OPs criteria, I think Columbia is a better "fit". It is closer to the coast, which is a primary consideration it seems. Also, she is 23 and Columbia offers so much for people in their 20s. I lived there for a while in my 20s and the nightlife (anyone remember the Art bar??) was especially fun. Five Points on St. Paddy's day.... ah, walking down memory lane right now...... You know I am a big fan of Greenville but it is a better fit for families and older professionals, imho. And yes, I know Clemson is close by but I'm just fond of the Columbia experience for reasons stated. Any way you cut it, though, livin' in SC is livin' large!!!!!!!
I'm sure all that's fun, but hopefully, someone just past college age is looking to "move up" from pee & regurgitants in the gutters in a college-age enclave like Five Points to possibly hanging with young professionals - have you been to Oysters on the West End or any of the other nearby establishments after work on a weekday? While Greenville is most definitely family-friendly, it certainly isn't family-centric. Everyone can enjoy Fall for Greenville in the fall, Artisphere in the spring, Shakespeare in the Park all spring & summer, the Saturday Market downtown during the summer, etc and places like Brown St Jazz Club, The Bohemian and The Handlebar.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM

899 posts, read 2,291,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore14 View Post

Again, ANY information would be great! I'm still doing my research. You can either respond here or send an e-mail - jmoore14@clarian.org
You didn't mention anything about needing a job. Is that a concern? If so that may help with the suggestions of where to live.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 AM

9 posts, read 14,709 times
Well after still doing research, I have narrowed it down. I really want to live and be able to walk to the beach, so im leaning more towards Charleston. I've heard they have a few nice hospitals there. Does anyone have any information on the Charleston area? Its not a very good plan yet but I know im going to end up living in a motel/studio for a while until I find what im looking for so any information regarding typical apartment rent, traffic, "tourists", etc. I would appreciate a LOT!

Columbia does sound like a very good place to live, maybe when I drive down this summer I will stop thru and spend a day to check it out. The only thing that im not liking 2-3 hour to the beach, but then again im not really going to soak up some sun, im going for a change in scenery and I think the beach would be beautiful. But...then again...foothills of a mountain with lakes like that, maybe I wouldn't miss the beach?!-

Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,891,906 times
It's pretty funny how people ignore the OP's criteria to boost their own cities, LOL. I don't consider anything more than a 1.5-2 hr drive to the beach a "short" drive for a coastal state, and apparently neither does the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina